+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member mag318 is an unknown quantity at this point

Member #
    Liked
    22 times

Comparison Colt vs S&W M&P15-22

I bought a Colt M4 22 when they first came out and never had a problem with it. Last week I bought a Smith & Wesson M&P15-22, so today I took them to the range for a comparison. I have to report I like the new S&W better. The Colt functioned fine and was I thought very accurate, at 25 yds they shot alike. Moving back to 50 and 100 yards the Thompson Center (owned by S&W now) barrel really came into it's own shooting tighter groups. Also the trigger on the M&P was much better which I'm sure contributed to it's accuracy. I put 600 rounds of assorted ammo thru the M&P without any malfunctions, I shot 200 thru the Colt and it also functions perfectly.
    Once home the engineering differences between the two really come to light when cleaning them. As you know the Colt bolt and carrier doesn't come out and you have to unscrew the flash suppressoer just to relieve the barrel sleeve tension before you can drift out the takedown pin. The M&P strips just like a regular AR15 allowing you to clean the barrel from the chamber easily. The one thing I prefer about the Colt is that it looks more like an M4. But if I had to choose between the two I would definately pick the M&P15-22. Anyone contemplating buying one of these should do a side by side comparison if possible.
    Last edited by mag318; 12-05-2009 at 01:22 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    This is how it shot rapid fire at 100 yards using the open sights. Next time I'm going to mount an optic and I'll bet the groups really shrink. Both are fun guns but it just a shame that Walther didn't engineer the Colt as well as the Smith. Can't wait to see the new Sig 522 when they become available.
    Last edited by mag318; 12-05-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Senior Member HerbG is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for taking time to post your thoughts. I've been debating about which to buy, and your comments help.

Senior Member broknaxl is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    229 times
    The S&W is a little easier on the pocket also.
    This is America - You don't redistribute wealth. You earn it !! " Shoot em in the right eye - it spoils their aim!"
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Whittington Center Life Member
    Life Member NAHC

Senior Member Hobie is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I've seen them both. If I was an AR-15 purist the S&W would put me off more than the Colt even if it is a more user friendly gun. The Colt does much more closely approximate the AR. However, neither thrills me at all.
    Sincerely,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Senior Member gunbroke is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    206 times
    What was the price of the Smith? Also, do your have to adjust the Smith like the "Colt" to shoot standard or high velocity ammo?

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Gunbroke,
    I paid $369 for my M&P 15-22, but that was with an LEO discount my dealer offered. There is no adjustment needed with the S&W, it ate everything I shot through it. But in all fairness so did my Colt M4, and I never had to touch the bolt speed adjustment. The Colt is just a poor design, I really don't like being not able to remove the bolt and carrier which appears to be made of pot metal. Also it turned me off when the safety fell out while firing it. I was very lucky to find it as it fell onto grass. The M&P is a much better design and nothing fell off it.

Senior Member gunbroke is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    206 times
    Thanks for the reply mag318,

I found a review for both the "Colt" and Smith & Wesson AR-22's by Jeff Quinn of Gunblast.com

Colt M4 review: http://www.gunblast.com/Colt-M4.htm

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 review: http://www.gunblast.com/SW-MP1522.htm

It would seem when you stack them up side by side the Smith has the "Colt" out classed in every respect but looks:

The "Colt" is a better AR-15 look alike with the dust cover, flash suppresser, bayonet lug, and fake bolt assist, but the Smith is the better rifle. With statistics like this and the serious reports of the "Colt" rifles' quality it is probably going to be hard for the "Colt" owners (like me) to seller their rifles without taking a large financial hit, if they ever want to do so. Never thought I'd have to say this but . . . I wish I would have bought the Smith My Colt pride is bruised

Last edited by gunbroke; 09-14-2009 at 12:06 PM.

Member Colt M4 .22 Ops is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hang onto your little Colt for about 10 years and see about getting your money back. The market is probably going to be flooded with plastic AR .22's and the Colt is still going to be worth a whole lot more in the future.........same as now. BTW, i just tuned my trigger down to a very nice 4lbs and snugged up the buttstock and my Colt shoots better than a lot of my bolt .22's, and that is with cheapo WalMart ammo. I have a S&W on the way from my dealer because i want one of each in my collection. I will be shocked if it will match the accuracy and trouble free shooting of my Colt. Some people complain about the solid metal sleeved barrel on the Colt which shoots incredibly well and then praise the S&W with it's plastic lower. I guess i just don't get it. I have no doubt that both Colt and S&W will cover their rifles under warranty or even not under warranty if it is a known issue and i'm not worried about owning either. I do know that i love the looks especially, as well as the accuracy, and function of my Colt and it hasn't broken, nor do i expect it to if i take care of it like i should!

Junior Member cobra kai is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt M4 .22 Ops View Post
    Hang onto your little Colt for about 10 years and see about getting your money back. The market is probably going to be flooded with plastic AR .22's and the Colt is still going to be worth a whole lot more in the future.........same as now. BTW, i just tuned my trigger down to a very nice 4lbs and snugged up the buttstock and my Colt shoots better than a lot of my bolt .22's, and that is with cheapo WalMart ammo. I have a S&W on the way from my dealer because i want one of each in my collection. I will be shocked if it will match the accuracy and trouble free shooting of my Colt. Some people complain about the solid metal sleeved barrel on the Colt which shoots incredibly well and then praise the S&W with it's plastic lower. I guess i just don't get it. I have no doubt that both Colt and S&W will cover their rifles under warranty or even not under warranty if it is a known issue and i'm not worried about owning either. I do know that i love the looks especially, as well as the accuracy, and function of my Colt and it hasn't broken, nor do i expect it to if i take care of it like i should!
    how did you lower the trigger pull? thats like the only thing i hate about it.
    Colt got a lot of shhiz from everyone because it was distributed by Umarex. You should have seen the hate for it on Calguns "Piece of shit Airsoft crap" i think was the tone. Followed by cant wait for the S&W to come out...lol

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads