+ Reply to Thread

Thread: .22 pump

Junior Member frbeall is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

.22 pump

I have a question about the colt .22 pump action. I'm going to an auction today and checking one out, looks to be in real good shape. When were these made? What would the value be? How many were made? Any information anyone has would sure be helpful. Thanks, Fred

Supporting Member smkummer is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    124 times

Colt 22 lightning

I believe about 90,000 were made. They were made from the late 1880's until 1904. It fires either the 22 short or 22 long but not the very common 22 long rifle as it is too long to feed through the action. The 22 long was almost dead but it is revived in the CB Long (29 grain bullet at 700 FPS)which is a low powered plinking round. Also CCI is the only manufacture making a high speed 22 long. And I have shot the high speed 22 longs and shorts in my 22 lightning. If the barrel has rifling, it will probably shoot but alot of these have shot out barrels due to black powder cartridges and/or corrosive primed ammo. Factor about $150 for a barrel relining job for a shot out barrel. Someone is now making replacement wood for these and also the buttplates are being reproduced. The most common missing piece is the dust cover but the gun still works without it. I mainly use mine as a backyard plinker with the CB or the super colobri primer powered only ammo. These also have the dimension of a 22 long cartridge but fire a 20 grain pellet at 500 FPS.

Junior Member frbeall is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I see you're from Indiana, I'm originally from Carmel. Thanks for your response. I'm posting a pic for your evaluation. What do you think it might be worth? If it didn't work I'll try again.
    Attached Images

Supporting Member smkummer is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    124 times

Can't tell from the pic

the pic doesn't show its condition well enough. If you had detailed pics, then that would help. In reality, most are in shooter condition so its bore makes a difference here. The wood looks good. They sell in the $400 to $700 range for average condition guns. Asking prices for a nice original blue with the pony still visable on the left side and few dings would be over $1000.

Ads