+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member Sacerdote is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

.22 Colt Vs. S&W M&P

OK.......about to cave and get a .22 AR. Didn't think I would but I guess it's time. What's the skinny on these? Any problems? Any real difference between the S&W and Colt? I am a Colt guy so don't bash me on the answer.

Senior Member CWO4USCGRET is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    499 times

Colt or S&W?

The Walther made imported by Umarex Colt .22 AR is a fun shooter but is mechanically complicated when compared to other tactical .22s. To break the gun down for cleaning you have to use a supplied wrench to loosen the barrel...etc.

The S&W M&P 15-22 is as easy to diassemble as any AR; is less complicated then the Colt. You may also want to consider the Sig 522 - about the same as the S&W for quality and performance.

Senior Member mag318 is an unknown quantity at this point

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I had a Colt/Umarex M4 when they first came out and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. The gun is very poorly designed with an awful trigger, the only thing going for it is it's looks. The Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 is a vastly superior rifle in both design and quality. The M&Ps controls are exactly like an AR which is a big plus and it takes down almost identically. The Sig 522 is also superior to the Colt/Umarex but the design is different from an AR. I've had all three and the M&P is my favorite, with the Sig coming in a close 2'nd. Forget the Umarex.

Member chucksolo69 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the Colt and it is a fun, reliable shooter. For a fun gun, which ALL the "tactical" .22s are, who cares that it isn't EXACTLY like a "real" AR. I personally prefer the Colt to the S&W simply because of the all plastic design of the S&W (I have shot my friend's). The idea that the Colt is a bad rifle simply because some don't like the differences between it and a "real" AR are ridiculous. My Colt M4 .22 has been an excellent gun. BTW - I do agree on one thing though, the SIG 522 (I Have one) is, IMHO, better constructed than either the Colt or S&W.

Junior Member Magog is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes, I have the M16 22.

I like it, but I have some issues. Still trying to find which ammo it likes best, someone told me copper head rounds...

Also I dont like cleaning it. Seems you have to blow solvent in it, and then blow it out with an air hose... I have only fired about 500 rounds in it, and the chamber is very dirty. If I cant pull the bolt out, then I think I have to wipe the chamber out with a Q tip...

No, I live in an Apartment and I am not going to being spraying solvent, so I will more then likey pawn it, and get a Sig 522.

I just want to break the rifle down clean the parts lube them and put it back together. I dont want to spay solvent around were I live.

Senior Member mag318 is an unknown quantity at this point

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Where the S&W M&P15-22 has the others really beat is as a training aid. I was watching an episode of Tactical Impact where the host was training his young son on the AR platform with an M&P 15-22. Since the controls on the M&P are exactly like a centerfire AR this makes perfect sense. The M&P is a perfect training rifle especially for younger shooters and novices not quite ready for a centerfire version. The S&W is a serious training firearm, whereas the Colt/Umarex is just a fun plinker, fun that is until you have to clean it.

Junior Member Magog is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok. I think I have my Colt 22 issues fixed. the bolt screw adjusted, I used Blazer cheapo's yesterday and they feed fine.

My mag issue... also caused feeding problems, but if I keep only 10 rounds in it, it seems to be ok.

I am starting to love this little rifle. I had a real good time at the range and had six mis fires out of 500 rounds.

I dont know if I can crack this mag open and try to fix it, or just junk it and try to buy one that works.

Senior Member CWO4USCGRET is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    499 times

it isn't that...

The idea that the Colt is a bad rifle simply because some don't like the differences between it and a "real" AR are ridiculous
    Chucksolo - based on looks, the Colt really looks like the gun is is supposed to resemble; the manner in which it is constructed, how it breaks down for cleaning; using a wrench to loosen the barrel, a receiver made from what seems to be pot metal, and the fact that one or two small parts fall free upon disassemby make for a poor excuse for a .22 caliber AR15.

It is a fun plinker but I think the Sig and S&W are much better exampes of rimfire ARs.

klw
    Senior Member klw is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Avoid anything made by Umarex!

I yet to hear of an Umarex made 22 that is anything but a POS. I had one of their Walther SP22's. Sent it back four times. The factory (S&W) just could not fix it. It came back broken three times. Eventually they just sent me a refund.

In my opinion Umarex, which I think now ownes Walther, really is out of their depth.

Senior Member morecolts is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacerdote View Post
    OK.......about to cave and get a .22 AR. Didn't think I would but I guess it's time. What's the skinny on these? Any problems? Any real difference between the S&W and Colt? I am a Colt guy so don't bash me on the answer.
    world of difference between the 2.

let google be your friend.

if you already have an AR, i would just get a RF upper.

Sponsored Links