+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member capstan is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    227 times

Colt model 6920 AR

I took mine out to the range to sight it in with the standard peep sight. I bought a cheap china made scope and I didnt like the results,so I took it off. The stock sights really impressed me today. It had just rained and cooled off and the lighting was pretty good so I could get a decent sight picture. I tried it at the 32 yard range. And after 2 clicks to the right,it was shooting dead on. I never touched the front sight-didnt need to. I tried several brands of ammo and at 32 yards I sighted it in with american eagle 55 gr fmj. cause i had alot of them. i then tried 45 grain,69 grain and 75 grain bullets of various manufactureres. They all shot well. 3 shot groups were all under an inch and 2 shots grouops were under half inch some a quarter of an inch . considering the front sight isnt that precisely defined, I was extremely happy with the results. I tried the 100 yard range also just for the heck of it and i could keep the shots in a 3 inch group and they were all good left and right. At that range the frornt sight is as big as the black bullseye.

I really like this Colt rifle and i imagine if I put a GOOD scope on it it would shoot half inch groups at a hundred yards. But I like shooting the iron sights especially considering how accurate they can be. The trigger pull of course has a lot of creep but once i squeeze the creep out,I can squeeze the last bit for a decent pull.
    This rifle is fun to shoot,is accurate with all the ammo I put through it, and functions flawlessly.

Senior Member GTS197 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    The 6920 is a solid rifle. Most of your cheaper target ammo will only give you 3 MOA @100, so don't get too down on yourself if that's all you can wring out of the rifle. With decent glass and some quality, match grade ammo (or special recipe handloads), you can certainly cut that down to under 1 MOA. Keep in mind that the 6920 is a combat rifle...expect combat accuracy.

Most folks have 1-2 fliers per string in their groups. I would recommend shooting 5 round groups to truly gauge accuracy. If you do your job, there should be 3-4 rounds in a cluster (sans the flier). A 2 round group is by no means an accurate account of what the rifle can do, or what you can do with it.

I LOVE the Colt rifles. My 6940 recently ran a 3 day carbine course (1200 rds) without a hiccup. It's my 'go-to' long gun.

P.S. I think you forgot the pictures...
    LE Firearms Instructor, Patrol Rifle Instructor, AR15/M16/M4 Armorer, Less Lethal Impact Munitions Instructor, Simunitions Instructor.

NRA Life Member.

Junior Member bluetickhound is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm going to be in the market soon for a 6920... I have located one for $999.00 that was originally purchased by a LEO who was told by his department that Colts weren't on the list of accepted weapons so he brought it back to exchange for another rifle... It has had maybe two mags worth of ammo fired through it and is in perfect condition. i cant wait to get my mitts on this thing!
    If it weren't for guns and largemouth bass, I wouldn't have much to do....

Junior Member Dano2467 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I love my M-4, I was at my local gun range where they had some metal coyote shaped silhouettes placed at 200, 300, 500 and 600 yards and I was able to get a loud audible clang off all of them with iron sights. I love to shoot that rifle.

Junior Member mbroadway is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I just bought a NIB (supposedly) LE6920 SOCOM rifle. When the salesman brought the box out from the back, the box tape had already been cut. He opened the box and the rifle was in a plastic bag. I didn't think it was necessary to look at it except to see that it was the right style. When I got it home, the plastic bag wasn't sealed. I don't know if those bags are supposed to be sealed or not. But when I took it out of the bag, I found a big scratch on the left side of the magazine well running from the logo through the serial number and to the bottom of the well. There were also several nicks or chips through the anodized finish on the front of the mag well. In addition, the quad rails are scuffed with scratches and chips. I have emailed the dealer twice but they haven't replied yet. Is this the normal quality one should expect from a $1,500 rifle? What are my options? I'm not really happy with it being all scratched and chipped up. I know I will probably put some scratches on it, but I'd prefer to put them on myself and not have any to begin with.

Am I being too picky about this? Thanks for any replies with advice.

Member danco is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    How bad are the scratches? Serious gouges down to the base metal or just scuffs?

Colts M4's are known to arrive new with dings from parts banging together while being "binned" during the assembly process. All Colt M4 rifles, civilian and military, are built by Colt Defense in a factory that is turning out fighting weapons that are designed to save the lives of the person that is carrying it. Fit and finish take a back seat to function and reliability in such a process. With Colt, the trade-off for lack of kid-glove handling is mil-spec parts, HP testing, and MPI of *every* bolt and barrel, at a price that is competative with products that may look pretty, but don't meet those standards.

If the dings are shiny, cover them up with a Birchwood Casey Super Black (Flat Black) touch-up pen. Once. Then, any new dings you get, you can proudly claim as your own! (You didn't buy it to be a safe queen, did you?)

As to the box and bag being unsealed, that's probably the dealer just verifying the serial number on the weapon in the box. I know *I* wouldn't trust a barcode sticker on a cardboard box, when hard time in a federal penetentiary was at stake...

Also, you'll find your new weapon was test fired at the factory. You'll want to give it a good cleaning and a thorough lube job before you shoot it the first time.

Enjoy your new friend!

Senior Member dandak is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    My SOCOM came with the box tape cut also. The plastic bag was never sealed, it is more of an open ended bag. There were NO scratches or blemishes on mine. In fact, the dealer had 5 to pick from and I had him open up 2 boxes....saw there was nothing to choose between so i just bought the one I now own and didnt bother looking at the other 3 rifles, but the other I looked at didnt have any scratches either. Told my friend about it and he went and bought one of the remaining 4, his is spotless also.
    If yours are deep I would take it back to the dealer and explain it to him....1.5K is serious money. OTOH, it depends how bad it is. Always a hassle doing this I know but......

Junior Member mbroadway is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for the replies. The scratches on the quad rails are not that bad. But the big scratch on the mag well where the Colt logos are is a shiny one. It goes clear down to the aluminum and looks like crap. Plus the chips on the front of the mag well are also bright and shiny. I have stripped it and cleaned all the black "stuff" out of it. Haven't run anything down the barrel yet, but I have cleaned the reset of it. One thing I've noticed is that the bolt is excessively tight in the carrier. When I reassemble it and try to do the "sling" action before putting it back in the carrier, it doesn't move at all. I have to physically pull it, hard, to get it to move forward. Someone suggested that the rifle might have been dropped, causing the scratch on the way down, and possible doing something to the BCB or the bolt itself that's making it hard to move.

I have emailed the salesperson at the gun shop three times with no response. I'm thinking he doesn't want to talk to me. So I may just send it back to Colt. I've spoken with one of their reps on the phone and said to send it back to them for evaluation. My warranty says its covered for a year for cosmetic damage. I'm wondering something though. If they have to replace the lower, do they just grab one and stamp the same serial number in it and then destroy the old one? Or would they supply a new one with a new serial number?

Thanks again for your replies.

Senior Member smokey04 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    116 times
    I suspect that the LGS opened the bag to verify the SN.on the rifle itself.Sometimes the boxes aren't right. Anyway, the FFL has to log in the gun NOT the box. Still, that's no reason to allow a new weapon to get scratched and dinged up. Nick

Supporting Member kdave21 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Of the last five 6920s I have seen in the box, none of the bags were sealed. I agree that the box was probably opened to verify serial number. Personally, I would never trust the box to be accurate. A customer service representative from Colt told me that it is normal for rifles to have minor cosmetic flaws straight from the factory. Although she didnt go into detail (nor did I ask) I suspect Nanco's reply is accurate, in that minor blemishes occur from factory handling. Additionally, even prior to your LGS handling the gun, I assume (but dont know) it was briefly handled by the distributor (also to check serial number) who sold it to the LGS, alhtough I wouldnt think that would account for any blemishes in finish. Im not saying your blemishes are normal, just contributing the little information that I have come across.

Ads