Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member BigRix is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    313 times

Going to look at an SP1

Do y'all have any advice?

Supposed mid 80's production.

Any markings I should look for to determine originality?

Don't know if it has any accessories with it yet. What did they ship with?

Thanks for your help.
    I fear that until a select few can profit from not treading on me, nothing will change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    313 times
    Well I made the trade and so far both parties are happy.

I hope I remain that way after y'all tell me some more about my first Colt AR-15.

Looks like 1980 production SP1. I'll be checking out the insides to see what original parts it may or not have but first impressions are that it is all there. I will be doing some research to see what they came with originally.

Should it have forward assist notches on the bolt carrier?

Snapped a few pics at the work bench so here she is.

Around here, these older rifles don't seen as hot as newer flat top carbines. Maybe there are some nice collectors items to be had?
    I fear that until a select few can profit from not treading on me, nothing will change.

Member Plywoodking is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Information needs to be gathered on the serial number in relation to the 3 prong flash hider. The 3 prong flash hiders were on the earlier models. Typically the 3 prong flash hider followed the stocks that didn't have the hollowed stock for the cleaning kit. Hope this helps.........

John

Supporting Member eagleeye is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Plywoodking View Post
    Information needs to be gathered on the serial number in relation to the 3 prong flash hider. The 3 prong flash hiders were on the earlier models. Typically the 3 prong flash hider followed the stocks that didn't have the hollowed stock for the cleaning kit. Hope this helps.........

John
    That is what i was thinking, I have # 59xxx and it does not have the 3 prong.
    Nice piece,+ the colt scope is a bonus and they are very accurate.

Supporting Member JudgeColt will become famous soon enough JudgeColt will become famous soon enough
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1139 times
    The three-prong flash hider was gone in the early 1970s as I recall, so I believe that someone "back-graded" the flash hider on this rifle, or perhaps mounted an earlier upper. What is the twist rate stamped on the barrel?

I believe the commercial bolt carriers were modified military bolt carriers so they had forward assist notches even though the commercial rifles did not get the forward assist mechanism until the later A2 versions (as I recall).

Senior Member halfmoonclip is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    I concur with the Judge on the FA notches; is the carrier 'full circle' or is the bottom milled away? Colt worried waaaay too much about attempts at converting their rifles to full auto; presume you have the oversize FCG pins as well.
    IIRC, Colt used leftover military uppers since the FA was not of much interest to civilians, (and, after the drama with the guns in 'Nam, the military wanted it) but used the notched carriers because they were available. Is the bore chrome plated?

The 16/16A1/SP1 are the truest to Stoner's principles of simplicity and light weight; they are a ball to shoot, and the irons work uncommon well due to the long sight radius. Looks like a honey; enjoy!
    Moon

Member #
    Liked
    313 times
    I did some research over at ar15.com and it looks to me that other than the flash hider the gun is as it should be.

Now I just need to see what kind of mags it took originally.

I can't wait to shoot it. It is way smoother when I rack the charging handle than either one of my other AR's and the trigger is pretty nice. A little stiff but has no take up and breaks clean.

It also will shoot cast well if and when I start casting for .223. 1 in 12" verses 1 in 7" with my other guns.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Rix, your rifle would have used 20 round straight alloy mags like the one pictured (with a red floorplate ?!?!?); either 'Colt' or 'NHMTG' marked. The 30 round didn't come along until much later, tho' it will certainly work in your gun.

Got to tell you I've always read that cast lead bullets should be avoided in the AR system due to possible lead/lube deposits in the gas tube and/or the bolt carrier. This is true of any gas operated rifle, but the direct impingement system is especially vulnerable. Jacketed bullets aren't that pricey (tho' heaven only knows what availability is right now...); it's what the gun was designed for.
    I'm not currently reloading the 5.56, tho' I have in the past. I still have dies and a ton of brass as a hedge against some coming bad time.

I did the unthinkable and stuck a Geissele SSA in my A1 clone; it looks period correct, and it surely makes the rifle easier to shoot. Your rifle should have the original M16/A1 buttstock, which, unless you are an NBA center, is a much more user friendly length.

Enjoy your rifle, (and I concur with the Judge; the three prong flashhider probably isn't right; the replacement should be the A1 type with slots the whole way around.) The three prong hider is a puzzlement; can't imagine why somebody would have retrofit it. They had a bad rep in the service for getting vegetation caught in them, and reputedly the troops used them to break the steel banding on shipping containers. This led to bent barrels; hard to make something GI proof!
    Moon
    Last edited by halfmoonclip; 01-24-2013 at 07:55 AM.

Senior Member dogface6 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1229 times
    As to the red floorplate - there's the chance that that one was the one used for hunting, and there's a five-round blocker inside it - 'or' that that was the way the owner marked his 'loaded' magazine on the shelf.

The three-prong flash hider was 'probably' installed after production to replicate the rifle as carried overseas by the original purchaser.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dogface6 View Post

The three-prong flash hider was 'probably' installed after production to replicate the rifle as carried overseas by the original purchaser.
    This thought crossed my mind as well, tho' Colt was not above installing what was on hand. The AR market was very odd back in the day.

For the OP, just out of curiousity, could we have some pics of your bolt carrier group? I'm still interested in knowing about the carrier in particular. Full circle carriers have a better rep due to their greater mass, but the C-section carriers work as well.

Also, how are you fixed for magazines? Before the current craziness, the straight 20 rounders were a drag on the market except for those of us who like retro ARs. Just wondering if any are available now; 30s are still the hot ticket.
    Moon
    Last edited by halfmoonclip; 01-25-2013 at 09:19 AM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links