+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member Calawey is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Colt Lightning "Small Frame" .22 Rimfire

Hello all. I've got an 1897 Colt Lightning Small Frame .22 rifle that's been in my family since the original purchase. I'm looking to get an idea of its fair market value. Here are a few pics and a bit of info as I've had it verified by the Colt Archives, and yes, I know the fore end has been replaced and I'm trying to find a replacement but no luck in quite a bit of searching. The best thing is that this baby still shoots flawlessly. Any help on approximate value would be appreciated.

Thank you!

20130206_215254.jpg20130206_215323.jpg20130206_215427 (1).jpg20130206_215746.jpg

Supporting Member smkummer is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    $400-600 tops as it sits. Buy a replacement forearm off of ebay for $60 and increase the value of the gun by more than the $60. The coin in the buttstock is another detractor but if its been in the family for that long hopefully it stays in the family. Most of the barrels on these guns are worn to the point of not shooting well. If yours is still shooting a good group, that is a plus. I had mine relined and now it shoots great. The letter adds some value but maybe not what you spent on it because its a common shipping destination and these guns commonly came in 2 configurations, octogon barrel and round barrel.

Junior Member Calawey is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    $400-600 tops as it sits. Buy a replacement forearm off of ebay for $60 and increase the value of the gun by more than the $60. The coin in the buttstock is another detractor but if its been in the family for that long hopefully it stays in the family. Most of the barrels on these guns are worn to the point of not shooting well. If yours is still shooting a good group, that is a plus. I had mine relined and now it shoots great. The letter adds some value but maybe not what you spent on it because its a common shipping destination and these guns commonly came in 2 configurations, octogon barrel and round barrel.
    I appreciate the comments. The value is for my own curiosity. Yes, as long as it's been in the family, I'm going to keep it that way. And thank you for the advice on the forearm, knowing my great-great grandfather is the one who put the makeshift one on there has me also just wanting to leave it on there in some respects.

If you could elaborate, what is it about the coin on the buttstock? Was there more to it (design?) than what's obviously a worn piece of the rifle?

Thanks again.

Supporting Member smkummer is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    It looks like a coin in the buttstock but I cant see it close enough. From every Colt lighting 22 I have seen, that was probably not a factory addition, but it probably is worth more to you, the currect caretaker of a family treasure, that it stays there. In the past, this fine rifle was probably treasured by it owner and he or she wanted to "dress it up" with the coin in the stock to make it look unique. To collectors, most of the time, anything that detracts from factory originality also detracts from value. That is why market value takes a hit on this gun due to the forearm and altered buttstock.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads