+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member quidni is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Looking for Info - Colt Sauer

Put a deposit on a Colt Sauer 30-06 rifle today, & am trying to find out what I can about it while I get it paid off.

There's a couple small dings in the stock, but it's in otherwise beautiful condition. Comes with a second, "working" stock, and two 4-round magazines. Iron sights, but it is set up to accept a scope if wanted. Serial # is CR134xx.

Tried a search on the web & found a number of "for sale" sites that mention the Colt Sauer, in various calibers, but not a whole lot in the way of actual info on the firearm itself.

Any insights or pointers to info will be muchly appreciated!
    quidni? quia!

Senior Member dwr461 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Re: Looking for Info - Colt Sauer

From what little I've been able to find about this rifle was that it was made in 1973. The following quote is from Colt an American Legend by R.L. Wilson pg 282.

"Colt-Sauer high-power rifles date from 1974; a product of J.P. Sauer & Sohn of West Germany, made to Colt specifications. The experts rate this bolt-action at the top level of mass-produced sporting rifles."

He does go on a little bit but he's mostly quoting Colt company brochures which paraphrase what he already wrote. Other than that I know nothing about these rifles. I hope this was some help.

Congrats on the new German Pony coming to live with you,
    Dave
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Yes, it does help some. I decided to buy it on the strength of the Colt logo on the pistol grip cap, and my son's enthusiasm once he'd taken a look at how it was put together. (I was definitely NOT in the market for a 30-06 at the time!)

Knowing that it's fairly well thought of by those considered experts in the field, is reassuring.

Thank you!
    quidni? quia!

Senior Member 22-rimfire is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    31 times

The Colt Sauer rifles are rated right up there with Sako and Weatherby for factory built rifles. Beautiful rifles. Back when they were sold as new in gun shops, I could only look at them and dream because of the price. Of the current crop of rifles, the Sako's, Coopers, and Kimbers would be somewhat comparable. Weatherby has lost some of their luster for me when Walmart started selling them. I have one of there 22 autos and it shoots very well. Love that rifle.

Supporting Member JudgeColt will become famous soon enough JudgeColt will become famous soon enough
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1131 times

The Colt Sauers are some of the finest-finished production rifles ever made. They are jewels in fit and finish. The metal finish looks like a mirror. Wood is usually outstanding. They have a unique non-rotating bolt body so the bolt is extremely smooth. I also like the removable box magazine. The same rifles are still sold under the Sauer name.

Some feel the rear locking bolt allows "bolt spring" but then many very accurate rifles have rear locking lugs, such as the Steyr SSG, etc..

Redfield used to make high-polish rings just for the Sauers, but I do not know if anyone still does that.

Senior Member dwr461 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

JudgeColt,

What does Sauer call the currently produced version of this rifle? I'm just curious.

Dave
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

More good info. Thank you, gentlemen! If Sauer is still making this rifle under their own name, it speaks well for the design.

I called Colt earlier this week, after I'd posted my original request here, and today I received one of the original instruction booklets for the Colt-Sauer. I have to commend Carol, the young lady I spoke with there. Excellent customer service!

And, I'll have to admit that this booklet is a refreshing change from the usual "user's guide" that I've seen lately. I've gotten accustomed to a 20 +/- page booklet where the first half is nothing but warnings, cautions and disclaimers, and the rest is info about loading/cleaning/handling the firearm interspersed with even more warnings. The Colt-Sauer booklet has 1 page (!) dedicated to the "Ten Commandments of Firearms Safety" and 13 pages of detailed info about the rifle itself.

Now to patiently wait until I can get it out of layaway....
    quidni? quia!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads