+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HBAR's

Senior Member chuter is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

HBAR's

I have a HBAR Elite Mod. CR6724. A friend picked up a Match Target Competition HBAR MT6700. Some obvious differences start with the SS barrel on the Elite and its 24" barrel versus the 20" carbon steel barrel on the MTC and possible CL barrel (still checking). The MTC has an A2 front sight but flat top receiver. The Elite is flat top at the gas block and receiver. The "Match Target Competition" name sounds "cooler" than "Elite" but I like my longer, free floating, SS barrel.
    Does anyone know which came around first or which might be preferred for competition shooting? Used for different classes? I've shot my Elite and love it. Haven't shot the MTC yet.

Senior Member AR15_1911 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Your CAR-A3 HBAR Elite model CR6724 came out later in the late 90s while the Match Target Competition HBAR model MT6700 was in the market earlier if I'm not mistaken early to mid 90s probably around 1992.

The HBAR Elite is mainly for varmint and accuracy shooting while the Match Target Competition HBAR could be used in CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) rifle matches (formerly as DCM which means Office of the Director of Civilian Marksmanship 1916-1996).

CMP target competition have different rules some are very restrictive that only allows semi auto AR-15 version of the M-16 service rifle (or older US military issued rifles) which does not allow heavy barrels, 4.5 lb trigger pull limit, and only issued military ammo, however there are other rules that allows match heavy stainless barrels of no more than 20", free floating handguards as long as it looks like the standard military issue rifles, match triggers (check the rules for trigger pull limit), match sights, and additional front and rear ballast weights.

I used my (older preban model than yours) Colt model R6600 AR-15A2 HBAR Sporter (with fixed carry handle upper A2 receiver) which I bought new when they were first available in 1986 and I just practiced with it for slightly over 600 rounds and I took it to my first DCM match in the summer of '86, my purpose to complete the match was so I could qualify in buying a DCM USGI M1 Garand rifle.

I was surprised at the result of my first rifle match and I'm using the improper light weight 55 grain (I wish I had the heavier 62 grains or more match ammo) surplus ammo Winchester white box Q3131 XM193, using my unmodified factory Colt HBAR rifle, I ended up 20th place for the two day weekend match of about 400 shooters.

My result would have been better if I have not had failure to feed twice both during the prone rapid fire stages, I managed to clear and fire all my rounds before the cease fire both times, later on I traced the failures to a bad factory Colt 20 round magazine body.

After several months later after the match I got my 50s International Harvester brand M1 Garand rifle.

After my first match I continued competing for several more years averaging two match per year, and I slowly upgraded my factory rifle with match sights (narrower front post and finer rear sight adjustments), had my trigger worked by a local gunsmith to 4.5 lb and very smooth feel, added front and rear ballast lead weight, and when I worn out my original factory barrel at 20K rounds I replaced it with a stainless match grade Douglas 20" barrel.
    NRA Life Member
    Colt AR-15 Sporter SP1 rifle owner since 1971
    Colt AR-15A2 Sporter II carbine owner since 1985
    Colt 1911 Government Model Series 80 .45 pistol owner since 1984

Senior Member chuter is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Great info, thank you. Another difference between the two is that my Elite is marked 5.56/.223 and the Competition is only marked for .223. Last summer I did an ammo test with my Elite. I ordered some real nice match grade Black Hills ammo in various bullet weight and tested it against some commercial and surplus military ammo I had. At the level of accuracy I was looking for I knew that usually, every gun likes different ammo. The Elite was no different. The expensive ($1.50/round at the time) match grade ammo did not out-perform some lighter commercial or surplus ammo. The highly touted, heavier, moly coated match ammo did not beat the 55gr frangible or 55gr Australian penetrator surplus ammo. The 55gr frangible and penetrator ammo performed about the same at 100 yards (sub MOA). I'm not a competition shooter but I want an accurate target and varmint shooter.
    Again, thanks for the info.

Supporting Member jbmi is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    My Colt HBAR is stamped "Match Target Competition" 20" barrel that is stamped "CMP 5.56 Nato 1/9 HBAR" (the MP share the same vert line) No model number but SN starts with CCH
    I've found the two most accurate rounds ( MOA @ 100 yds) are Black Hills 223, 50gr, V-MAX moly and Ultramax 223, 75gr. heavy match hollow point.

Last edited by jbmi; 04-18-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Ads