Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dogface6

Thread: Ar-15 lowers

Junior Member 0311 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question Ar-15 lowers

I want to change out my (Colt)Ar-15 a-2 lower I see several different brands and would like a ricever that wood compliment (good or bad) my colt with carrying handle. any decents names would be appreciated. I see 80% lower recieved delivered to my door step in whichn I would have to finish the drilling and installing(probably could figure it out but would rather not). Then I see 100% lowers need to be sent thru FFL dealer(I live in Calif.) So whats up with that? (not the part abpout living in Calif.) Any help would be grateful.
    Last edited by 0311; 05-18-2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: added name colt to post

Junior Member gwozdz is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I and many of my friends have purchased the cheapest lowers we could find (before the panic) and found all of them worked fine. Cosmetically, most were great even the blems. Some logos were not as appealing, but then you don't shoot the logo.

Senior Member AR15_1911 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Since you're in CA check with the off list brand and models at CalGuns.net, also most of the out of your state dealers won't ship any stripped lowers to CA because of the confusing law there.

If your Colt rifle have the older Colt gray finish a good match for that would be NoDak Spud retro style lower which also have the matching gray finish of older Colt models.

NoDak Spud stripped lowers have minimum markings so you could if you desire could have custom engraving on the sides of the magazine well, like the Colt logo (without the banned model numbers), military branches logo, Zombies, Don't Thread On Me, etc.

Colt new LE6920 carbine marked "M4 Carbine" with the SP serial number prefix with bullet button are legal in CA, and also the Colt Accurized Rifle model CR6724 are not on the ban list, but beware that they are the current black finish, not gray.

Other logos that I like (but not sure if they are in the CA ban list) are LRB Arms which is a crossed cannons, Noveske Maltese Cross, and Spike's Tactical Punsiher scull and Zombie head.

The last thing I could think about is check the hole size of your upper pivot pins, older Colt models have the non standard large offset 0.315" dia., new stripped lowers are usually the mil-spec small size 0.250" dia. pins.

Also check your hammer and trigger pins if they are the large 0.170" dia. or small mil-spec size of 0.154", new lowers usually have the small 0.154" size pin holes.
    NRA Life Member
    Colt AR-15 Sporter SP1 rifle owner since 1971
    Colt AR-15A2 Sporter II carbine owner since 1985
    Colt 1911 Government Model Series 80 .45 pistol owner since 1984

Senior Member halfmoonclip is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Exactly what problem is the OP seeking to solve? With the complexities and abiguities of CA's laws, if your current lower is 'grandfathered' and otherwise good to go, I wouldn't try to fix something that ain't broken.
    Moon

Senior Member dogface6 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1229 times
    I've gotta ask - what's the problem with your Colt?

Senior Member BBossman1 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dogface6 View Post
    I've gotta ask - what's the problem with your Colt?
    Apparently he doesn't like the A2 rollmark with a flat top upper. It hampers grammar, spelling, punctuation and capitalization.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Senior Member dogface6 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1229 times
    Ah...

So that's it.

I never realized that the logo had to be 'pretty' in order to be an effective working rifle - I always thought that 'Colt' was what was supposed to be there.
    BBossman1 likes this.

Junior Member 0311 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

lower reciever

Quote Originally Posted by AR15_1911 View Post
    Since you're in CA check with the off list brand and models at CalGuns.net, also most of the out of your state dealers won't ship any stripped lowers to CA because of the confusing law there.

If your Colt rifle have the older Colt gray finish a good match for that would be NoDak Spud retro style lower which also have the matching gray finish of older Colt models.

NoDak Spud stripped lowers have minimum markings so you could if you desire could have custom engraving on the sides of the magazine well, like the Colt logo (without the banned model numbers), military branches logo, Zombies, Don't Thread On Me, etc.

Colt new LE6920 carbine marked "M4 Carbine" with the SP serial number prefix with bullet button are legal in CA, and also the Colt Accurized Rifle model CR6724 are not on the ban list, but beware that they are the current black finish, not gray.

Other logos that I like (but not sure if they are in the CA ban list) are LRB Arms which is a crossed cannons, Noveske Maltese Cross, and Spike's Tactical Punsiher scull and Zombie head.

The last thing I could think about is check the hole size of your upper pivot pins, older Colt models have the non standard large offset 0.315" dia., new stripped lowers are usually the mil-spec small size 0.250" dia. pins.

Also check your hammer and trigger pins if they are the large 0.170" dia. or small mil-spec size of 0.154", new lowers usually have the small 0.154" size pin holes.
    I did not check the pivot pin hole size pryor to completing a 80% lower so if it does not fit my colt upper then I guess I will start a new upper build and get another lowerfor my colt upper. thanks for the reply

Sponsored Links