Update: 1851 Navy or 1860 Army? My choice arrived
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Update: 1851 Navy or 1860 Army? My choice arrived

Member #
    Liked
    3415 times
    You'll like the 1860 Army. That was the first handgun I ever bought. Yeah, I got into blackpowder in my young teens, when the Buckskinner and Civil War re enactment craze was in America. I paid $70 for that Italian gun, and amazed my friends shooting it often. Later, I sold it or traded, I can't recall. But last year I wanted to try an 1851 Navy (I have small hands). I got a 2nd generation Colt. I thought the smaller .36 would make a higher pitched crack when shot, but it's a boom, just like a .44. And seems to hit hard. I think both are equal in the "I wouldn't want to be hit by one" category.

Member #
    Liked
    6527 times
    Shot black powder competition for quite a few years. One of the guys in our club bought a Ruger Old Army, and never could get it to group well enough for competition, but never had a chain fire. I bought it and used a bullet lube sold by Navy Arms over a .457 roundball. The revolver shot great with the lube and the seller couldn't believe how well it shot. Ask what kind of lube he had been using, and he wasn't using any. After a few shots the bare lead ball didn't like going down the fouled bore.
    gkitch likes this.

Member #
    one mile east of President Truman's house
    Liked
    257 times
    Thanks to all of you for the useful information. Having not messed with black powder firearms in a while, and I can hardly wait for it to get here. It was shipped today, so hopefully I'll be posting pics Wed. or Thur. night.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    I had a chain fire in an original 1849 Pocket. All 6 let go at once. No damage to me or the gun, in fact the only difference I noticed was more recoil and a slightly louder noise. Was using Pyrodex P. But get this, the nipples were a bit worn and I was using #11 caps which didnt fit on good. After some gunsmithing (laser welding then machining the back of the cylinder where the recoil ring in the frame had worn a groove into the cylinder) and switching to the proper #10 caps I had no more issues of chain fires.

Member #
    Liked
    499 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dandak View Post
    I had a chain fire in an original 1849 Pocket. All 6 let go at once. No damage to me or the gun, in fact the only difference I noticed was more recoil and a slightly louder noise. Was using Pyrodex P. But get this, the nipples were a bit worn and I was using #11 caps which didnt fit on good. After some gunsmithing (laser welding then machining the back of the cylinder where the recoil ring in the frame had worn a groove into the cylinder) and switching to the proper #10 caps I had no more issues of chain fires.
    That's interesting. We were just discussing chain fire at one of my local clubs and one of the theories is that it can happen from either end. If the caps are too loose, or not seated properly, then the theory is that the recoil shield can set off the caps. Do you think that's what happened to you?

Member #
    Liked
    3415 times
    I always used grease over the ball, and grease wads in my blackpowder cartridge target rifles. It keeps the fouling soft, like JohnnyP said, which keeps the accuracy stable. Also let's you shoot more cylinders before things are too tight. I like SPG lube, made for blackpowder cartridge. It's about the consistency of wood putty, and seems to stay in the gun and not run out in 100 degree temps. However, if I was just going to load a cap and ball to carry, not shoot until the day is over, say on a hike or ride, I'd probably just use the lubed felt wads under the ball.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    5557 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bighipiron View Post
    What is your source on that? Most pictures he is wearing 1851's
    I stand corrected.
    Going on a mis-fired memory I remembered the Hickok revolvers as 1860's.
    They are in fact 1851's.
    rhmc24 likes this.

Member #
    one mile east of President Truman's house
    Liked
    257 times
    Since I was looking for a shooter, and I liked the longer grip and caliber of the 1860, I decided on a 3rd Gen Colt 1860 with fluted cylinder. Here is a pic accompanied by a D. Carrico holster that was made for the Brad Pitt movie 'The Assassination of Jesse James.......'

DSCN3294.JPG
    Fortibus55, mwhite49 and gkitch like this.

Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Sweet! I love the fluted version and really like the 3rd gen Colts!
    Bighipiron, I do believe that is what happened to me, I believe the cylinder slammed into the recoil shield since the recoil ring (proper terminology?) on the frame had completely worn a matching ring into the cylinder, thus allowing full backward motion of the cylinder into the rear of the frame. After welding up the cylinder AND using proper fitting caps I had no more chain fires. I have heard loose caps can allow chain fires by allowing the sparks from the cap under the hammer to enter adjacent nipples. In fact, somewhere long ago I read the web of metal between the nipples (on the rear of the cylinder) was intended to help prevent this, to act as a barrier to the sparks. Maybe mine was a combination of events.

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    When I first got into Cowboy Action Shooting I started out with Pietta Navy .44. It was a great gun until the frame cracked...

I also ended up with a reproduction 1860 Army and 1858 Remington over the years but unfortunately they were sold off to fund other projects. I used a mix of 50/50 crisco and beeswax over top of each ball. It worked very well to keep everything lubricated and I had zero issues with chain fires. I checked a few times over the years to see how much lube melted after firing 2 or 3 rounds and there was always lot's of lube remaining. When I started shooting Frontier Cartridge I used the same mix of Crisco and Beeswax in my .44, 45 and 12 gauge loads between card wads. Again it always did a great job to keep everything lubricated and the fouling soft for clean up.

I've got my eye on a couple Colt 2nd Gen percussions at the moment; a '51 Navy and a '60 Army that I am tempted to grab and move back over to the dark side with.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links