Thread: You too can own a Walker

Member #
    Liked
    147 times

You too can own a Walker

Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    This re-finished, possibly aftermarket-enhanced Walker was listed for auction last year but apparently failed to meet reserve.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    That’s an interesting Walker, with a lengthy provenance, several different interpretations, and different value.

It first appeared in arms dealer F. Theodore Dexter’s Forty-Two Years’ Scrapbook of Rare, Ancient Firearms. It was described as having been restored by Sedgley in 1935, and valued in 1953 at $3500 ($32,000 in 2017, adjusting for inflation).

Walker C Co No 26 Dexter.jpeg

It was sold for $103,500 by Rock Island Auction Co. in 2012. LINK They note that “The revolver was professionally refinished and overhauled for shooting in the 1920-1930s (the R.F. Sedgley Co. restored several Walker Model revolvers during this period). The barrel lug and forcing cone have been milled to minimize gas leakage and a rear sight has been mounted on the rear of the barrel.”

In 2016, James D. Julia Auctioneers sold it for $86,250. They published R.L. Wilson’s opinion that the finish was original, and the markings obliterated when the gun was stolen from the military, but concluded that "It is the contention of this cataloger that the markings of this revolver were obliterated simply as part of a refinishing process." LINK

Now Collectors’ Firearms has it priced at $174,000, speculating that it is a factory refinish or lunchbox special.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4047 times
    I like it!

Refinished by Sedgley in the '20s, for me, is okay also...
    Abwehr likes this.

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    569 times
    If you opened up your wallet enough for R L Wilson, you got the letter you desired.

Member #
    Liked
    569 times
    I did review Wilson's letter...

A whole LOT of speculation!

With removed serial numbers and a removed US/1847, and without evidence of removal being fairly distinct, the firearm had to have been refinished. Who really cares if Sedgley refinished it or not, it is refinished, which, no matter which way you slice it, means that this Walker cannot be worth 6 figures at this point in time.

Also, with regards to the "in the white" cylinder. Why? Yes, why would Colt purposefully leave the cylinder "in the white"? It wasn't the practice at the time to do so, so why specifically choose to leave No 26 in the white?

Please reference my post above. Again, if you were willing to write a big enough check stating "Paid to the order of R L Wilson", you got what you paid for.

Member #
    Liked
    107 times

Colt Walker

If it was made by Sam then it is still a very rare piece of historic value and would be most welcome in any collection. These weapons were used in battle and is a big part of American history for its independence that it enjoys today. The value of it is not dollars but its heritage. I hope that the future buyer of this revolver will give it safe keeping which it highly deserves.
    Kind regards,
    ALSS.

Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    All Walkers, Whitneyville Transition Dragoons, "2nd Contract" Dragoons, and civilian 1st Model Dragoons under s/n 1999 originally had cylinders "in the white". Any of the above-listed models with a blued cylinder has either been re-finished or had its cylinder replaced.

Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Btw, the grips on the subject Walker have been varnished as well. I agree that the price it garnered from Julia is probably the upper limit of its true value. I would not fork over any more than half the shekels they are asking for a re-finished piece; and dontcha just love the romantic tale of a "lunch box special"?!! Haw!!
    Chaparosa likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    569 times
    I stand corrected.

Lot number 2252 in the James Julia auction from Fall of 2008 was reviewed. This is Colt Walker No 210, which sold for $920,000. It has condition, originality, and provenance, so it is an excellent reference, one by which others can be judged. Its cylinder is indeed "in the white". Apparently, this was the practice at the time, and I had not observed this to be the case before or had forgotten. In my study of Colt Walkers, all through research and books, and none in real life (you don't exactly see them everyday) most are well worn and contain limited or no finish. Thus, seeing one with no finish on the cylinder seemed, initially, suspect. However, Wilson's integrity is indeed questioned when he discusses removal of serial numbers and the US/1847 and then fails to mention a refinish. How could this not be the case in its present configuration? I would value this one more if it had its original finish and obvious filing of serial numbers and other markings.
    Last edited by mrcvs; 03-29-2017 at 10:45 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links