Colt Forum banner

Repro bullet mold for Walker Colt

6K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  elhombreconnonombre 
#1 ·
I am looking for a reasonable reproduction of the original bullet mold that makes the Walker .44 cal
"needle" nosed Picket conical bullet. From looking around, it looks like the ONLY repro available is the Pedersoli
single bullet mold for $100-$130 new, depending on who you buy it from. It looks to be a reasonable repro of the original Colt mold and may make a similar looking bullet.

Does anyone have experience with this mold? If so, what grain weight bullet does this mold make? What is the as cast od of this bullet? Does this bullet shoot any better/worse than the ACW design .44 cal bullets that can be made using Lee molds? It is my understanding the original Walkers were issued with a single cavity conical mold (not a round ball and conical cavity mold) and that conical bullets were used exclusively in Walkers during the Mexican War. Is that correct?

#2 ·
I don't have the specific information you want, but I would suggest that you check out e-bay for a Walker mold. They usually have several from various makers for sale.
However, I would think that the Lee molds would cast a more accurate bullet that almost any of the reproduction molds. Many will not cast a perfect bullet. If it is accuracy you want, I would suggest a .44 cal. round ball. It would at least be as accurate as bullets from a Lee mold.

#3 ·
Thanks Steg:
As you may have noticed in my other posts, I bought a cased ASM Whittington Arms branded repro Walker this weekend with all the necessary accoutrements so I now have the single conical bullet mold. I previously had purchased a Lee 6 cavity .44 cal RB mold from Track of the Wolf. Whittington's book on the Walker and Whitneyville Colts is fascinating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.