Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Use of Texas Patersons in Fight March 1840

Senior Member Texas Man is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    95 times

Use of Texas Patersons in Fight March 1840

A few years ago I decided to see how many accounts of use of the five shot Colt Paterson was used in actural fights during the days before the Walker. I was somewhat surprised how many times the paterson was used mostly by the Texas Rangers against the Indians, Mostly Comanches.

One account is on Marnch 19, 1840 at San Antonio, Texas in what is now called the Council House Fight. In this fight the First Regiment of Infantry used the Patersons in a shootout with Comanches while trying to get captives returned when all hell broke loose resulting in the killng of 12 Comanches Chiefs as well as several Texans.

I wish at the time I had made a list of the fights the Patersons were in and dates and futher details. There are a lot more than I was aware there were. Once the Texas Rangers found out they could ride up close to an Indian and shoot him of his horse they used that to their full advantage.

In reality,,,,,,,,,,The Paterson was a huge advantage over a single shot and with the guts to get up close on a horse at full speed it proved deadly. I had also researched the Walker in action and the same with it. The Texas Rangers give the Indians and Mexicans hell ever chance they got and there are a lot of accounts on use of the Walker as well.

The Old Texas Ranger cemetery is about 45 miles West of San Antonio, Texas in a small town named Comfort, Texas. I have walked it a number of times and it has about 35 graves of the realm old time rangers buries there, The ones that used the Paterson and the Walker during their time. I think more and more now when I hold an old Colt about how well it served its owner in the time of need and many times I wish I knew the history behind the Old Colt I hod in My hand and I think we all would be surprised if we knew how many men it had killed in its life.

In Todays world, We seen to overlook the importance of the early Colts and Men who used them. I have no dought in My mind that in those days they could and did use the early Colts just as affective as We use our Colts today. When a man is killed it does not matter what or how he was killed, Either way He is just as dead.

Your Pard, Texas Man

Senior Member FFF21 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I love your posts Texas Man.

Senior Member Ozeanjaeger is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    No Patersons in Ranger hands putting a hurt on all comers in Texas, no Walker Colt. Walker, from everything I've read, was not merely trying to make endorsement $$$, or go into business with Sam Colt. He had seen first hand what the revolvers could do, and was anxious to improve them and get them into the hands of his beloved Rangers. His promotion of the revolver, and stories relayed to the media of its effectiveness had allot to do with Colt getting the funds he needed.

Senior Member HayesGreener is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    213 times
    I just finished reading Empire of the Summer Moon, there is an excellent account of the use of the revolver and changing Texas Ranger tactics to great advantage. A fascinating read, I recommend it

Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History: S. C. Gwynne: 9781416591061: Amazon.com: Books
    "No man in the wrong can stand up to a fellow that is in the right and keeps on a comin'." Capt Bill MacDonald, Texas Ranger

Senior Member steg is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    No one seems to remember that the Paterson revolvers and the Walker were the wonder weapons of their time. One could fire 5 or 6 shots in less time than it took to reload the single shot muzzle loading pistols of that period. In fact, if one were carrying a spare loaded cylinder for their Walker, they could replace the cylinder in their Walker in less time than a muzzle loader could be loaded and capped! That was one h*ll of an advantage in a fight!!!!!

Supporting Member trap4570 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    As I remember the Walker Colt held the title of most powerful handgun until the .357 came along in the 30's. Correct me if I'm wrong. I also understand that they had a nasty flaw with some of the revolvers blowing up from full charges. I wonder if these horse pistols were holstered on the horse? Carrying one around would get pretty heavy after while. I would think the more elegant Patterson would offer more accurate fire while at a dead run on a horse. I understand that the Walker was developed as a replacement for a carbine and pistol, but I wonder what the actual soldiers thought of it.

Senior Member PonyLover is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    The Battle of Plum Creek was a clash between allied Tonkawa, militia and Rangers of the Republic of Texas and a huge Comanche war party under Chief Buffalo Hump, which took place near Lockhart, Texas, on August 12, 1840, following the Great Raid of 1840 as the Comanche war party returned to West Texas.[1]
    "What I've found in life is what goes around comes around. Take ice for example: the rich get it in the summer and the poor get it in the winter" (W.B. Masterson).

Supporting Member BigG is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    369 times
    You should go thru the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco, I believe. It has guns from many of the famous ones from the percussion Colt's up thru the current pistols, usually a Colt 45 Automatic anytime in the 20th century. Rangers are now called DPS - Department of Public Safety but they are the same tough hombres that they always have been.
    HayesGreener likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Member PonyLover is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    BigG,

Sorry, but the Texas Rangers are called the Texas Rangers then and now. They were incorporated into the DPS years ago as an investigative force, but they remain an elite special unit. The last time I saw the rolls, there were less than 100 (I think 80) state wide.
    MarkInTx likes this.
    "What I've found in life is what goes around comes around. Take ice for example: the rich get it in the summer and the poor get it in the winter" (W.B. Masterson).

Senior Member Dragoon is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    The Walker to date is the most powerful handgun our military has ever had.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links