Colt Forum banner

period correct lanyard for 1909

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  lonewolf 
#1 ·
I have seen the lanyards for the 1917 colts and S&W but what does the correct lanyard for a 1909 look like?

Terry

#2 ·
Terry; since none of the "regulars" have/can give you a reply, I will. Make SURE you get a lanyard loop from a COLT 1917, as they are "identical". While S&Ws will "fit,and look the same, there are some "subtle differences" in size os the shank and the diameter of the retaining pin(and groove). Also, those for the smaller S&W Victory have different shanks.
Finish is NOT blue, but casehardened.

And, good luck getting some original "wide rimmed" .45 Colt FA rounds for the 1909. I had six, but finally sold em to a dedicated cartridge collector who'd been bugging me(and afraid I'd shoot em!). SIX "CORRECT" FA rounds will NOT fit in adjacent chambers in a Colt SAA, so this is a good "check"(if ya have a .45 Colt SAA?)

The original,and current, narrow rim of the .45 Colt is the MAJOR reason why S&W would NOT chamber the #3 top break in it and went to the .45 Schofield. D.B. Wesson feared that the narrow rims could slip off the ejector star, tying up the revolver(as the Army also feared in the 1909 New Service).

It was NOT,as many S&W haters think, that the .45 Colt was too powerful. Once the cylinder was lengthened from 1 7/16 to 1 9/16 on later production top breaks, the 38/40 and 44/40 rounds, (same length as the .45 Colt) were safely used(with blackpowder!!!).

Just a couple of little "lonewolf trivia tidbits"!-and I have NEVER had trouble with ANY of my 4 .45 Colt New Services and 2 S&Ws in .45 Colt, having the narrow rim, slip off the ejector star.

Bud

#3 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I have seen the lanyards for the 1917 colts and S&W but what does the correct lanyard for a 1909 look like?

Terry

[/ QUOTE ]

Terry:

I believe that the lanyard that was used with the Model of 1909 Revolver was the same one that was used with the earlier Colt .38 DA guns. I don't have a pic handy of the ones on my collection. They are usually marked RIA with a date on the leather chape next to the snap. Most I have seen are dated around 1903 or so.

If I can find time over the weekend I will try to take a pic and post it for you.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.