Colt New Army and Navy marked "Conn National Guard" on backstrap.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Colt New Army and Navy marked "Conn National Guard" on backstrap.

3AD

Member #
    Liked
    52 times

Colt New Army and Navy marked "Conn National Guard" on backstrap.

Hello out there and Greetings from Connecticut. I have a New Army and Navy revolver that has a lanyard loop and on the back-strap in fancy engraving is "Conn National Guard". Has any one else seen one of these? Are there any other military "engraved back straps" out there? I think I'm starting a collection of military "New Army and Navy" revolvers.
    Thanks for any info or photographs.
    pds03003 and VaqueroAZ like this.

Member #
    Liked
    345 times
    Speaking of photographs...post some!
    You better not advertise that fact that you have these, Malloy will confiscate them before anybody finds out that the CT National Guard has/had guns!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    301 times
    Welcome to the Forum, 3AD.

Robert Best, Forum member "COLTDAGUY," mentions Conn. National Guard New Army's several times in his excellent reference entitled, New Army and Navy Pattern Double Action Revolvers 1889 to 1908. He states that some of the civilian New Army Model of 1894 revolvers that served with the Conn. National Guard were recalled in 1917 for refurbishment at the Remington Works and received "L.E.B." inspector's initials above the left stock. They later became Lend-Lease guns and were reamed to accept the British .38-200 round. And, were equipped with British style lanyard rings. The CNG guns are found in the 73xxx to 74xxx SN range, according to Mr. Best.

If you're going to collect these, you will appreciate Bob's book!

Dick
    pds03003 and VaqueroAZ like this.
    "Shooters reload because they can't afford not to. Reloaders shoot because they need the empty cases." (Favorite saying of old friend.)

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Colt Archivist
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1929 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 3AD View Post
    Hello out there and Greetings from Connecticut. I have a New Army and Navy revolver that has a lanyard loop and on the back-strap in fancy engraving is "Conn National Guard". Has any one else seen one of these? Are there any other military "engraved back straps" out there? I think I'm starting a collection of military "New Army and Navy" revolvers.
    There are at least one of these shipments, if not more. I have seen a couple that were pretty beat up. Pictures of yours, please!

I don't know about the backstraps, but there are, of course, the US Army Models of 1892, 1894, 1901, and 1903 of this model all marked on the butt of the gun, and also the US Navy model 1895 marked similarly. The good news - these are relatively common and inexpensive. The bad news - many that I see show heavy use.

Member DS326 is absolutely correct in suggesting Bob Best's book. That is the definitive resource for information on these. Good luck in your collecting!
    Colt Archivist /
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    / 800-962-2658 ext. 1849. If requesting information about archive services or to place an order, please contact me at the phone number or email address above, or visit our website at
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    . This ensures a timely response for any requests for service, as I am not on the forum every day. Thanks!

Colt Archivist
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1929 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deyomatic View Post
    Speaking of photographs...post some!
    You better not advertise that fact that you have these, Malloy will confiscate them before anybody finds out that the CT National Guard has/had guns!
    :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Colt Archivist /
    / 800-962-2658 ext. 1849. If requesting information about archive services or to place an order, please contact me at the phone number or email address above, or visit our website at
    . This ensures a timely response for any requests for service, as I am not on the forum every day. Thanks!

3AD

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Ok here's the photo's. When I get my camera battery charged later, I post better ones.CTARNG 3.jpgCTARNG 4.jpgCTARNG 1.jpgCTARNG 2.jpgCTARNG 6.jpg

3AD

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    It is a sad "state" of affairs. My buddies down south laugh at me when I show them my "Ammunition Permit". Now for some reason there is a word out that you can not ship pre 1898 cartridge weapons to CT. Not even to an 03 C&R.

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    I know of at least one other. It was at a shop in Kentucky. I purchased it, but returned it after inspection because it had a destroyed forcing cone. Unfortunately, I did not keep a record of the serial number.

Member #
    Liked
    345 times
    It is a sad "state" of affairs. My buddies down south laugh at me when I show them my "Ammunition Permit". Now for some reason there is a word out that you can not ship pre 1898 cartridge weapons to CT. Not even to an 03 C&R.
    Yeah, we just did our taxes on Thursday... This place eats it! As if I needed another reason to leave! But somehow the state is going broke???!!!

3AD

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    I am at UCONN Medical Center in Farmington a lot. My wife and I have started a "hobby" of counting passengers on the Fastrac Buses Malloy pushed. Highest body count for 2015 was 6.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links