SAA question? What have I got here?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: SAA question? What have I got here?

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    564 times
    Just so you know, a letter would not confirm that your gun is "unmolested"; it simply confirms barrel length, caliber, date of shipment, and location of shipment, for the most part. For example, a letter might confirm that your firearm is of the configuration of which it outwardly displays, but let's say that a Bisley model barrel had been placed on your gun. It would state as such (e.g., 4 3/4" barrel), but the barrel would not be original (and evident by "Bisley Model" stamped on the barrel.)

But this is purely semantics as your gun looks 100% original.

What did you pay for yours? Presumably, from other posts, it was $2000, or less.

As for value. Somewhat difficult to tell from your photographs. Appears to have a frame with case colouring and patina. Barrel in some photographs Appears to have good bluing; other photographs suggest it is more of a patina. Plusses are that it has a 4 3/4 " barrel, has decent finish and original grips. Minuses are that it is in .38-40 and not in the more desirable .45 Colt or .44-40 and that it is not a pre-1899 antique. From the photographs provided, and not being an antique, I would value it at around $2500. In fact, a range of from $2400 to $2600 would be spot on. Better photographs of blued parts, especially, could revise my estimates upward.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaffee View Post
    Many of those vintage of SAA's had interesting shipping destinations. Worth a shot.
    I'm wondering if an "interesting shipping destination" could actually add more than a few hundred to the value? The letter is likely 200-300, from my point of view I'd want to think that a good letter could possibly add a good bit more than that.
    Now if a letter could tell me that Annie Oakley won this pistol in a shooting contest; that would be worth every penny. LOL

I ended up paying the man $1500 for the gun.
    Last edited by taptap; 03-26-2016 at 12:47 PM.
    "It's amazing what people will believe on the internet so long as it confirms their preconceived notions."

-Thomas Jefferson-

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    564 times
    A letter would cost $100 if you are willing to wait a few months. For $150 you get an immediate telephone confirmation with a letter to follow.

An interesting shipping destination could make your revolver more desirable to some individuals. An interesting shipping destination is less likely, as most did not ship to interesting destinations. (if they did, they no longer would be interesting destinations, if that makes sense).

Sir--at $1500 for this revolver, you hit the SAA JACKPOT!!!!!
    Rick and Abwehr like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5567 times
    I have showed this one before here. It IS NOT original. It started out as a 4 3/4" .44/40 in 1906 and was shipped to the Copper Queen mine at Bisbee Arizona. That is said to be one of the most desirable locations to be shipped. Didn't know that when I acquired it from a collector friend. It was rebuilt with colt parts by old writer Tommy Bish and probably Al Capone of King Gun Works many years ago to .44 special.
    I had another collector friend that knew Marty Huber colt historian. He had his wife call up Huber and just verbally got that info about 45 years ago when I bought it. I never bothered to spend the money for a official letter and should have when they were cheaper. Now I cant or wont throw away a $150s to get it. Money is tight on retirement. Besides I aint planning on selling it anytime soon.

BRG
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    I like to see the letters. I would think yours would letter okay. I think it is worth the $100. You can do it on-line now. www.colt..com. Will expedite the return time. 12-14 weeks. I have over 50 SAA's and have letters on 90 percent of them.

Good luck. Bill in Florida...

Member #
    Liked
    504 times
    Once I bought a post 1900Bisley in 90% blue condition, I ordered a letter, result: The Bisley was aCopper Queen Bisbee gun.
    Abwehr likes this.
    Hans Maag, Switzerland

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I know that this thread is a bit dated but what do you guys think that shooting modern ammo in this gun ?
    "It's amazing what people will believe on the internet so long as it confirms their preconceived notions."

-Thomas Jefferson-

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    650 times
    Modern factory 38-40 ammo is loaded light. I would not spend the retail of $60 for Winchester with a jacketed bullet for this gun. At least 2 manufactures make lead cowboy ammo (again loaded light) in the $38 for 50 price range. It is fine for your gun. I have a 1908 bisley 4 3/4 in this chambering. For what its worth, Colt officially stated its SAA was approved for smokeless powder in 1900.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links