SAA question? What have I got here?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: SAA question? What have I got here?

Member #
    Liked
    19 times

SAA question? What have I got here?

SAA1.jpg

I've started a dialogue with an individual regarding the possible purchase of this firearm. He has sent me a few photos. I'd like to share what info I have with you guys so that you might be able to help me with my due diligence. Thanks!
    "It's amazing what people will believe on the internet so long as it confirms their preconceived notions."

-Thomas Jefferson-

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    481 times
    We need more pictures and details as to serial number and caliber. However, I can say that your revolver has a 4 3/4 " barrel, rubber grips that postdate the earlier eagle grips, and the cylinder release is the cross piece style that postdates the earlier screw release style.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I've asked for the ss# I was told that it's a 38-40...?saa2.jpg
    "It's amazing what people will believe on the internet so long as it confirms their preconceived notions."

-Thomas Jefferson-

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taptap View Post
    I've asked for the ss# I was told that it's a 38-40...?
    That's the caliber. The serial number will be longer and on the bottom of the frame in front of the trigger guard and on the guard itself, among other places.

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    481 times
    I missed your other thread in the Single Action Army section. That thread states you think you can get it for $1000. IF NO OTHER ISSUES and a first generation gun, you, sir, have stumbled upon a bargain!

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    The serial # is 194420. The gun has been in his family over 70 years. Supposedly out of California early 1900. He let a local pawn shop look at the gun today the price went up to 2k.
    It all works, the bore looks "good". At 2000 is it still worth a look?

-Thomas Jefferson-

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11170 times
    Just looking at your two pictures, I will bet that pawn shop did not offer him anywhere near $2000
    for that gun. It would have been a bargain at $1000, but not at $2000.
    smokey04 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1498 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    Just looking at your two pictures, I will bet that pawn shop did not offer him anywhere near $2000
    for that gun. It would have been a bargain at $1000, but not at $2000.
    I not sure that I agree with that, $2,000.00 could still be a good price. Lots of original blue, excellent stocks/grips (if original), good bore and solid action. If as described, and all matching, I think at 2 grand it'd still be a very good buy; I'd sure go for it at that price.

Best regards,
    My opinion is free, and worth every penny of it.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times

Update!

008.jpg009.jpg005.jpg014.jpg028.jpg

I ended up buying the gun, I wanted to share some better photos. After looking at some of the books I have here, I think I've got a "Pre-War / Early Smokeless" . BBook gives a detailed description on the transitioning of the knurling pattern on the hammer spur. The spur pattern on this gun is consistent with the serial # as is the lack of "VP" proof, indicating an early 1900 DOB. You can see a marking in a couple of my photos that I'm unable to find referenced. There's a "V" or possibly a "7" over the firing pin hole and another on the cylinder (3 o'clock in the photo). I don't know if these markings have any significance.

The gate is numbered but that number doesn't seem to have any connection to the serial #, would this indicate swapped parts?

The gun is in better condition than I expected it to be, still some case color and some original bluing. There's also so some pitting and I would guess there's been some "rust removal" over the years.
    The gun is tight and the timing is spot on. If I could find some ammo I wouldn't hesitate to fire it.
    I hit the five photo limit in this post but I'll put up a few more a bit later.
    I welcome any comments or corrections. If my thoughts are off the mark please let me know what you think.
    Very excited about this old gun, I can see how these could get under your skin!

-Thomas Jefferson-

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5616 times
    The number on the loading gate is an assembly number and has no correlation to the serial number. There should be a matching ass. number on the frame under the TG (you have to pull the TG off to see it)
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links