Colt Forum banner

Colt Officers Model .22 ?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jerry6stl 
#1 ·
Hi all, my father left me a Colt revolver and would like any info possible on it, ie year, history, value etc. The below info is on the revolver. THks

Colt officers model .22 long rifle
Colt PTFA mfg. co
Hartford CT USA
Patd Aug 5 1884, July 4, 1905, Oct 5,1926
Serial # 24826 y
It is double action rim fire and is blue not nickel, thks again...todapark

#3 ·
The colt appears to me to be in good condition, I'm not a firearms expert tho. There is no rust or dings, the trigger pull action seems fine and the inside of the barrel is nice and clean. It has walnut checkerd handgrips and they seem to be in good condition. Any advice on what I should look for in regard to condition would be appreciated. Also the sights look good. Thks

#4 ·
The colt appears to me to be in good condition, I'm not a firearms expert tho. There is no rust or dings, the trigger pull action seems fine and the inside of the barrel is nice and clean. It has walnut checkerd handgrips and they seem to be in good condition. Any advice on what I should look for in regard to condition would be appreciated. Also the sights look good. Thks

#5 ·
Overall impression of % original finish is a good place to start. Has the blueing worn away at the end of the muzzle, on the front of the cylinder, on the edges of the flutes of the cylinder? These are common wear areas on handguns from being stored or carried in leather holsters, or from trips back and forth in range boxes. Are the edges of the flutes of the cylinders "sharp" or worn, edges of the frame, etc. How about the screws, are they in original condition or did someone try to use the wrong size driver blade and "bugger' them (ding the sides of the slot in the screw head)? Check the notches on the rear of the cylinder, are the edges still sharp?

My opinions on condition are just that, my opinion. I look for "honest wear" on a handgun and for obvious signs of abuse or lack of care.

I 'm sure others will chime in here as many have far broader experience in rating the condition of a handgun.

The most important thing IMHO is that you have a very well made revolver capable of great accuracy that you can associate with family. Condition pretty much takes a back seat in my mind.

Scott

#6 ·
There were many variations to this model during the 40 years it was manufactures; and they affect the value. Condition is also a major value determinant. Generally these guns sell anywhere from $250 to $500 depending upon condition. Hope this helps.

Since it was your Dad's, you should probably never ever sell it, preserve it, and eventually pass it on to your child.

#7 ·
There were many variations to this model during the 40 years it was manufactures; and they affect the value. Condition is also a major value determinant. Generally these guns sell anywhere from $250 to $500 depending upon condition. Hope this helps.

Since it was your Dad's, you should probably never ever sell it, preserve it, and eventually pass it on to your child.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.