+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member bearpa is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Colt's Story in Miniature 1836 to 1862?

I'm trying to get some information on a book display case I recently purchased at an auction. It's a wood case, leather covered to resemble a book. The cover is embossed COLT'S STORY with an Eagle and Shield design below that, then below this is IN MINIATURE with a crossed Patterson and 1860 Army below that with the dates 1836 to 1862 displayed between the pistol grips of the two revolvers. There is a gold metal clasp to secure the lid of the book. Inside is an attached paper booklet with a Walker and Colt cylinder scenes on the cover and other Colt decoration. The paper booklet contains information about the beginnings of Colts revolvers and then a description of the samples displayed. Underneath this in the book there are 14 samples of Colts revolvers in miniature displayed on a red velvet liner, each made of pewter and they are extremely detailed.

On the last page of the paper booklet there is a picture of a shoulder-stocked 1860 Colt with the name Joseph Rappa Bronx, New York. I believe this may be the maker of this book display and I believe this surely would have had to been authorized by the Colt factory. But, I have been unable to find any information on it.

I know I am new to this forum, but any information any of you could provide me concerning this would be greatly appreciated.

Supporting Member smkummer is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    I believe Sam Colt's first patent was 1836 and he died Jan. 10 1862. So what you may have is his firearms produced during his life span. Just wondering if the Colt Special Musket of 1861 is shown. He put a lot of his efforts into the govt. contract for these and I suspect he didn't take his weaken condition serious enough and may have resulted in his early death. The first ones delivered were in Sept. of 1862. Oh, could you please send a pic and maybe some of us will have observed one in the past. It sounds very interesting.
    Last edited by smkummer; 12-09-2008 at 11:00 AM.

Senior Member Buckspen is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    333 times

Colt "Rappa" Set

Bearpa - I once had a set of miniatures that was very similar to what you are describing. If I remember correctly the color of the book was blue. I have also seen these set up as a display in a picture frame. Here is some information that was provided to me by a friend.

"The set of minature lead guns in the small booklet titled "The Colt Story in Miniature" were made by a company in New York called Joseph Rappa. The man and company manufactured lead reproductions of war medals. A best guess would say the miniature guns were made in the late 1960's or early 1970's. A common rumor is that the company was asked to stop producing the sets as they were not sanctioned by Colt. A large number of the sets surfaced at the Houston gun show in the early 1990's where they sold for $50."

- Buckspen

Junior Member bearpa is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

More Info..............

Sorry but I have no way to post a picture of this, another piece of technology I plan on investing in some day. The book is brown leather covering as is the back spine over a wood case, with what would be the page edges wood showing, with gold coloring resembling the edges of pages in a book. The wood case is of tongue and groove construction as can be seen on two edges. The size is 9 1/2" x 7 1/4" x 1 1/2". The embossing on the cover is black. The metal latch that holds the book closed is engraved and attached to the middle top and bottom covers of the book

The miniatures contained in it are the First Model Dragoon, Model of 1836 Patterson, Second Model Dragoon, Model of 1849 Pocket Pistol, Model of 1847 Walker, Model of 1862 Pocket Pistol, Pocket Pistol of Navy Calibre, Wells Fargo Colt, Model of 1848 Pocket Pistol, Model of 1860 Army, Model of 1851 Navy, Model of 1855 Pocket Pistol, Model of 1861 Navy, Third Model Dragoon.

The miniatures could be made of lead, but like I said they show a lot of detail. You can see the nipples on the chambers, the screw heads, etc.

Senior Member rljatl is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Does your cell phone have a camera? Do you have a film camera? Take the film to Wolf or Ritz Camera and have them develop it. They will put the pictures on a photo CD for a nominal charge.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads