Help on Old 45 Colt Model
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Help on Old 45 Colt Model

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Help on Old 45 Colt Model

I'm hoping someone can identify & give me some information (value, model, etc) from these poor quality pictures. I was told it is .45 Long Colt cal, but no other information. It's believed to be 8" barrel, but I'm not sure. Opinions & information is appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    6638 times
    Before anything can be said, much better photos are needed - taken in clear, natural light and taken close-up of anything and everything that looks like a marking.

So far, it's a 7 1/2" barreled Single Action Army.
    Abwehr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks dogface6. Unfortunately, that's the best I can do with the pictures. It's from an auction website. I spoke with the owner who wasn't much help. His wife did say she "thought it was 1951". I'll just have to go with what you provided.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12156 times
    No Colt SAA's were made in 1951 so I suspect the seller does not know what it really is. Having the serial number would allow members to give you good information on when it was made.
    WVCOLT likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Good to know. You're correct, the seller has no clue, nor do I. I hesitated to even bother posting this with such little information, but thanks anyway.

Member #
    Liked
    1761 times
    The brass tacks in the stocks are rather interesting as Indians decorated a lot of their firearms in this manner. It's in the right configuration for a US Cavalry revolver. You really need to get the serial number and find out if it's marked US on the left side above the trigger.
    ei8ht likes this.
    Real cowboys don't line dance, a Buckaroo won't even watch.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I will call the auctioneer to find out and see if I can get that. Thanks for your help on this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8330 times
    From the wear I can see on the wood stocks, it appears to be an older SAA revolver.

I copied the photo and lightened it up. The is not a cross pin for the Base Pin, so it is a Black Powder revolver. The patent date appears to be 2 line. The base pin bushing appears to be some type copper piece but that could be the lighting????? I am not sure, but the ejectror appears to be the bullseye type. The Trigger appears to be broken, o there are some action problems.

As "bearcat6" stated above, this could be a Cavalry Colt! The serial number and if there is a "US" stamped behind the patent dates, would be very important! Honestly, I like the revolver myself. Here are the photos I lightened up.

Colt45a.jpgColt45b.jpg
    ei8ht, saintclair, 824tsv and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6369 times
    Stocks just don't have the right look to them. Brass tacks don't look like they have been there all that long, and more brass tacks put in by white man trying to boost gun than put in by Indians.
    ei8ht, 824tsv, Abwehr and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    If I was a betting man I would bet those grips are not only replacements, I don't think they are even Colt grips. If you look at the lightened photos it appears someone tried to place some artificial patina on the grips and the light spots don't seem to match with where I would expect wear to be. I would be careful but possibly you might get a good buy depending on who all are bidding.
    tdennis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links