The Lawman?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: The Lawman?

Member #
    Liked
    317 times

The Lawman?

I've been getting the itch for a 6 shot snubby lately. I had thoughts of shortening an M1917 (S&W) but that presents its own problems...Then I got the idea that a .357 would be another option...not a large bore, but not short on power, by any stretch. It occurred to me that I could find a .357 snubby and not have to have anything customized, as cool as that may be.

The K frame S&Ws chambered in .357 were supposed to be somewhat "fragile" when fed exclusively .357 magnum loads.

Is that the case with the Lawman? Any other insight?

I am now keeping an eye on the popular auction site for pricing, but, any thoughts on how much one would likely set me back?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    439 times
    The Lawman's will handle any .357 commercial loading out there including the Buffalo Bore stuff with aplomb.They are perhaps the most robust best built six shot snubby revolver made by anyone. Do know hammers, triggers are "sintered steel" meaning they are perceived as a weak spot,I have no evidence that mine are weak in any way.They are getting expensive so getting one might sticker shock you, however their light years ahead of any thing that could be considered comparable.$600-900 special features will up the price as well a box, buy the gun.
    The early unshrouded Lawman stubbies I don't think have the sintered steel part's ,I could be wrong.
    Last edited by longranger; 03-19-2017 at 06:38 PM.
    M1Lover and ei8ht like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4317 times
    When it comes to six-shot fixed sight .357 snubbies, the Colt Lawman is at the top of the heap. For the intended purpose there are none better.
    M1Lover, old tanker and ei8ht like this.
    It was me...I shot Liberty Valance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    I agree with those before me, I have one and it's the smoothest DA trigger pull I have ever owned.

The only thing I would add is:
    Try to get one with the grips that you like, already on it. The J-frame, round butt Lawman III grips "Do Not" interchange with any other revolver. They are hard to find & expensive when you do.

Here's mine:

ei8ht, GyMac and M1Lover like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6504 times
    Buy a 2 1/2" S&W Model 19 or Model 66 - it'll eliminate all of your perceived problems, and you'll have parts available and people to install and fit them until you die.

Plus - no one shoots exclusively full-power loads - they familiarize with them, and practice with standard loads - then carry full-power loads, so wearing something out isn't likely to be on the agenda.
    ei8ht, Colt75 and nowinca like this.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    5360 times
    Don't forget, there's also the Mark V Lawman.

The Mark III did use sintered steel hammer and trigger, but the Mark V revolvers used cast steel, so there's not much chance of the trigger breaking as rarely happened with the Mark III.

The Lawman Mark V has a rounded and shortened grip frame, so any Mark V grip will fit and there are combat type grips available for it.
    The Mark III Lawman had a grip frame that was unique to it and no other grip will fit. There are not many makers of Lawman Mark III snubby grips, but they can be found.

As above, the Colt Mark III and later Mark V, and King Cobra all had larger cylinders and much stronger frames then the S&W "K" frames.
    They were built for unlimited use with Magnum ammo.

However, the S&W "K" frame models have a smaller diameter cylinder and conceal a little better.
    The S&W Model 65 and 66 are possibility the best snubby Magnum revolvers ever made, and if you shoot the hot Buffalo Bullet +P 158 grain, lead, semi-wadcutter hollow point ammo you get near Magnum performance in a load that won't risk the cracked forcing cone possibility of the "K" frame models.

In the Lawman of either Mark III or Mark V, or a S&W "K" frame, you're extremely well armed.
    An old homicide cop I once knew called these types of powerful snub revolvers "water guns", because when the bad guy saw it his insides turned to water.
    elliotf and ei8ht like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    840 times
    I agree with dogface6. I have both the Colt Snubby Lawman and a Smith 19 Snubby. Buy the Smith.
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I had a nickel 2" Lawman I bought new in '81 or '82. I foolishly traded it around '00 with 6 rds. fired by me and 3 from the factory. Though it was gorgeous, it never felt at home in my XL hands. It's a long reach to the trigger compared to the Smith, something you might want to consider. I really wish I had it back, though, as it was a COLT. Lesson learned Don't rule out the old Ruger Six series. I only have one, but it's tough!

Member #
    Liked
    4317 times
    The Smith Model 19 or 66 are excellent revolvers...along with the Colt Lawman it would be difficult to pick the superior piece when .38 Special rounds are carried. For .357 the Lawman is the stronger revolver though few would do enough shooting to wear either out. Essentially the difference is personal...which fits your hand better with whatever stocks are selected. The Smith does have adjustable sights with could be an issue but at normal self-defense distances that potential advantage is negligible plus the adjustable sights can hurt with the sharp edges or tear clothing depending on the holster used.

I'm a Colt guy and would way the Lawman is superior...a Smith guy would say the opposite. Take your pick and be happy.

I'm not a Ruger guy but the old Speed-Six would be an excellent choice as well.
    ei8ht and M1Lover like this.
    It was me...I shot Liberty Valance.

Member #
    Formerly Alaska and Colorado, now Southern California
    Liked
    1259 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dogface6 View Post
    Buy a 2 1/2" S&W Model 19 or Model 66 - it'll eliminate all of your perceived problems, and you'll have parts available and people to install and fit them until you die.

Plus - no one shoots exclusively full-power loads - they familiarize with them, and practice with standard loads - then carry full-power loads, so wearing something out isn't likely to be on the agenda.
    Yeah, I've never understood the penchant for shooting full-power loads in .357 OR 44 Magnum, especially in a snub-nosed revolver, and especially at the shooting range, (unless you're "into" pain and suffering!) Additionally, if it's for a "carry" gun, all the more reason to go with a lighter, more compact, revolver. I think that 90% of the people owning a snub-nosed magnum revolver, wish that they had just purchased a gun chambered in a standard caliber, PLUS-P! I have only shot a short barreled "magnum" revolver once, (a 44 magnum), but I can tell you, that was enough for me! I have no problem with large caliber handguns, (45 ACP, 45 LC, 44-40, etc. and once owned a S&W model 29 with a "standard" 6" barrel, but I find a magnum caliber handgun with a barrel any shorter than that, very unpleasant to shoot, (as well as unnecessarily loud for anyone standing in the vicinity! For those who do like them however, there is a nice one on GB right now...

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/630661307
    ei8ht and Colt-SL like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links