+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member jaywalker is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Colt D.A. 38; Please help

This piece came from my wife's family. The barrel's top inscription is "COLT'S PT FA MFG CC HARTFORD CT USA PATENTED AUG. 5, 1884, NOV. 6, 88, MAR. 5, 95" and on the side, "COLT D.A. 38". The serial number on the butt is 258692, and the cylinder latch is marked 398.

I have several questions:

What model is the gun and when was it made?

What is the significance of the "398" on the cylinder latch?

The ejector rod is threaded at the forward end, so it appears it's missing a part, possibly a knurled knob. Are these available anywhere?

The grips are wood, not the typical black hard rubber. Do these wood ones appear to be approved after-market grips?

The photo of the butt shows a projection, possibly a bolt end, in the center of the metal frame. What is this?

What is the gun's approximate value?

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Attached Images

A1A
    The Searcher A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light

Member #
    Liked
    417 times
    Welcome to the forum. I know you are anxious to learn about your revolver, but I must tell you that almost every one of your questions is already answered in previous threads. I'm sure one of the DA experts will be along to help, but in the meantime, try a search. Select Search and Advanced Search. Search on keywords new army navy (no quotes or other punctuation) in the Colt Revolvers topic.

Senior Member COLTDAGUY will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jaywalker View Post
    This piece came from my wife's family. The barrel's top inscription is "COLT'S PT FA MFG CC HARTFORD CT USA PATENTED AUG. 5, 1884, NOV. 6, 88, MAR. 5, 95" and on the side, "COLT D.A. 38". The serial number on the butt is 258692, and the cylinder latch is marked 398.

I have several questions:

What model is the gun and when was it made?

What is the significance of the "398" on the cylinder latch?

The ejector rod is threaded at the forward end, so it appears it's missing a part, possibly a knurled knob. Are these available anywhere?

The grips are wood, not the typical black hard rubber. Do these wood ones appear to be approved after-market grips?

The photo of the butt shows a projection, possibly a bolt end, in the center of the metal frame. What is this?

What is the gun's approximate value?

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Hi Jaywalker,

You asked: "What model is the gun and when was it made?"

Your gun appears to be a civilian model New Army or Navy Model revolver. The style of grips determined the model. It would be a New Army Model with the Rampant Colt Horse and two small roses along with a small word "COLT" at the top of the grip. Hard rubber grips with the word "COLT" in an oval at the top were New Navy Model grips. There would probably be a small "N" on the frame in the crane cutout of the frame if it were a New Navy Model as well. Your grips appear to be home made replacements. Your gun was made in 1906.

"What is the significance of the "398" on the cylinder latch?"

This is Colt's assembly number. It was used to keep track of parts that were hand fitted during assembly.

"The ejector rod is threaded at the forward end, so it appears it's missing a part, possibly a knurled knob. Are these available anywhere?"

There is a small knob that is threaded onto the end of the rod and appears to be missing from your gun in the photos. You could try www.coltparts.com . They may have this part.

"The grips are wood, not the typical black hard rubber. Do these wood ones appear to be approved after-market grips?"

Home made... see above...

"The photo of the butt shows a projection, possibly a bolt end, in the center of the metal frame. What is this?"

Your gun had a hole drilled for a lanyard ring which is not present. That is a plug to cover the hole ... not factory...

"What is the gun's approximate value?"

As it sits your gun is probably worth parts value only. It is not in collectible condition. I would guess its value in the $100-$150 range... Any value would be sentimental ... family heirloom ect....

Whatever you do, I would recommend NOT FIRING IT WITH ANY KIND OF AMMUNITION!!!

Hope that helps!
    Bob
    Last edited by COLTDAGUY; 06-23-2009 at 07:59 AM.

*** ColtForum MVP *** dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all

Member #
    Liked
    1233 times
    To which I would add:

The guns were NOT chambered for the .38 Special.
    They were made for use with now obsolete .38 Colt Short and .38 Colt Long low pressure ammunition.
    Even if a modern .38 Special will fit into the chamber, DON'T FIRE IT.

Junior Member jaywalker is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Many thanks to each of you. Great info and rapid response!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads