+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member charlene is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    183 times

Frontier Scout '62

The first Colt firearm I ever owned was a blued Frontier Scout '62 22/22mag convertible with a 4 3/4 inch barrel and simulated Stag grips. I only owned that pistol for a couple of years or so about 20 years ago, but it was a lot of fun at the time. I then discovered the Peacemaker .22, which I came to prefer over the Frontier Scouts.

I'm thinking I might pick up another Frontier Scout sometime. I know Colt made several variations of this basic model. What is the difference between the "Frontier Scout '62" model and other Frontier Scout variations?

Senior Member Buckspen is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    309 times

Frontier Scout Variations

There are basically four different models of the Frontier Scout and they are differentiated by the serial number suffix: Q, F, P and K.

The Q suffix guns were the first introduced (1957). They had aluminum receivers and grip frames where were left in the white (not blackened). The barrels and cylinders, of course, were steel. Only two variations exist: black plastic stocks or wood stocks (very scarce). The finish of these guns came to be called "duotone".

The F suffix guns were the same as the Q guns but with more variations. Variations were: finish (duotone - similar to Q guns, or all blue), calibers (.22 LR, .22 Magnum or "22 CAL" - both calibers), barrel lengths (Frontier Scout 4.75 inches and Buntline Scout 9.5 inches), stocks (black plastic or wood). [The reason the serial number suffix was changed from Q to F was because the clerks in the shipping department kept mistaking the Q for a 0 (zero) in their record keeping!]

The K series guns were called "the heavy frame" and were bright nickel plated and fitted with plain walnut stocks. The receivers and grip frames were made from an alloy called Zamak (a zinc alloy) and was much heavier than aluminum. The K guns were introduced in 1960 and are very handsome with their mirror bright nickel finishes. The variations
    were: calibers (.22 LR, .22 Magnum or "22 CAL" - both calibers) and barrel lengths (Frontier Scout 4.75 inches and Buntline Scout 9.5 inches), In addition, Colt starting selling these guns in "pairs" or "sets" where two guns were shipped together in a wood presentation case.

The P series guns (introduced in 1962), also called the '62 Frontier Scouts, were the same construction as the K guns (Zamak receivers and grip frames) but finished in what Colt called "Midnight Blue". The receivers and grip frames were finished in glossy black and the barrels and cylinders were a very high polish blue. The stocks were a synthetic stag called "Stag-Lite". The variations were the same as for the K series guns. Unfortunately, the glossy black finish used on the the grip frames and receivers was not very durable. Many of these guns are seen with the finish flaking off to some degree. These guns were also sold in pairs and sets.

The Frontier Scouts were discontinued about 1970 and were replaced with the Peacemaker 22 and New Frontier 22 revolvers (but that is another story). The big change from the Frontier Scout to the Peacemaker 22 was that the receivers of the new guns were made of steel and were case hardened in colors. The grip frames were aluminum and anodized black.

Incidentally, my first Colt was a K series Frontier Scout that I bought in 1961.

- - Buckspen

Senior Member charlene is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Thanks for the info. I think I may get the R.L. Wilson book on these .22 single actions.

Supporting Member wdkline is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    60 times

Frontier Scouts

The book to get is by Don Wilkerson - Scouts, Peacemakers, and New Frontiers in .22 Caliber

Bill

Senior Member Buckspen is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    309 times

Wilkerson Book

It's a great book (like all Don's books) and essential to understanding the variations on these nifty little revolvers.

The book can be ordered directly from Carol Wilkerson at www.collectcolt.com

The standard edition is $40 with shipping included. I like to order direct from Carol whenever I can because she is a fine lady and a long standing and active member of the Colt Collector's Association.

- - Buckspen

Senior Member Pre-64 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckspen View Post
    It's a great book (like all Don's books) and essential to understanding the variations on these nifty little revolvers.

The book can be ordered directly from Carol Wilkerson at www.collectcolt.com

The standard edition is $40 with shipping included. I like to order direct from Carol whenever I can because she is a fine lady and a long standing and active member of the Colt Collector's Association.

- - Buckspen
    Absolutely! She is a very nice, enthusiastic, & efficient person to work with. (and kindly autographed mine!)

Ads