Bisley Refinish Price & info
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Colt wont refinish this. You would have to go to a restoration smith. The cost of the restoration plus the initial cost of the gun would put you way over the price of a finding an original high condition gun. Turnbull starts at 3500.00 for pre 1913 Saa's/Bisley restorations. Dave Lanara is another good smith and he is not as much as Turnbull but you get the idea. There are a few other folks that can spruce it up for you but you still end up with the same results. A refinished gun. The grips look to be what we refer to as the "bowling ball type" some sort of resin/plastic. My advice is if you like it, leave it alone other than getting a set of original grips that fit better, or sell it and take what you get for it plus the 1000-3500 dollars you would spend to clean it up and buy a better condition gun. Keep in mind also the reputable smiths will only restore the gun to Factory letter specs, so if you get the letter and find out the gun was originally a 32/20 it may lead to more dissapointment!
    NRA Life member- Colt Collectors Assoc. member

Member #
    Liked
    4081 times

Thumbs up

If the bore is in good shootable shape, I think you did ok for $1600. I wouldn't do anything to it except shoot it. That is a nice old Bisley with character and "is what it is."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    8720 times

Refinish???

If you have it re-nickled you will have a shiny gun without the peeled areas and other blemishes. You can give it a hand polish job yourself with Flitz or Simichrome polish and make it shine but won't do anything for the peel. If you don't like it that way you can still have it re-nickled.

As previously stated by someone else it had a careless preparation job when it was nickeled before. Refinish is not going to correct that.

If you do re-nickle it, there are several shops that can do a satisfactory job at reasonable cost. You can get on google or bing and enter gun restoration or nickle plating to bring up some to check in with and make your choice. In discussing with them find out what the turn around time will be. Some of them can take forever to do a job.
    Last edited by rhmc24; 02-03-2010 at 03:21 PM. Reason: add

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 50calray View Post
    Now if this turns out to be a refinished firearm does anyone have an idea what it's worth? I'm probably paying to much but I really like it.
    Ray
    It really does not matter what it is worth now; you already bought it and you really like it. Suffice to say you need to get a lot of enjoyment out of owning it. Mike
    "You boys gonna' pull them pistols - or whistle Dixie?"

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    blah delete blah
    Last edited by 50calray; 06-06-2015 at 04:58 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    with all due respect to flattopbis, what is "unfortunate" to one fella can mean whether or not another fella will ever own a first gen colt saa. got back from old mexico early this morning, and the renickeled saa .44-40 i bought a couple of weeks ago was waiting. other than caliber and the fact it is not a bisley, it is nearly identical to 50cal ray's but for the black powder frame.

if i'd have paid what a truly "acceptable" saa cost, i couldn't have afforded the week in mexico, which the mrs. enjoyed as much as i did.

i think $1,600 is a good deal on a first gen, and ray, i really like those grips.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    thats a great looking bisley. if you still have those grips, i would love to buy them, will give you a fair price.
    let me know abd we can talk. thanks roger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links