+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member charlene is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    183 times

"Colt" 2nd Gen. blackpowder??? ...mystery gun...

I recently picked up a couple of cap and ball pistols. One is a 2nd generation Colt Second Model Dragoon from the "Authentic Colt Blackpowder Series" model F1720, I think. It is in its original box, unfired. It has the Saml Colt New York City barrel address.

The other one is a mystery. It appears to be a "Colt" Third Model Dragoon. However, the barrel is marked "COLT'S PT FA MFG CO HARTFORD, CONN USA" in a manner similar to other production Colt revolvers from the 1960s, 70s, 80s, etc. I am not aware of any 2nd or 3rd gen blackpowder guns that were marked in this way, but I am new to these, so who knows. I did read the "condensed" version of Dennis Adler's book on these that someone posted a link to in another thread.

The finish on the mystery gun seems even better than the finish on the second model dragoon. The polish seems a bit higher. The blue looks like a Colt factory blue to me. The case colors also look good, with a little more blue in them than on the second model dragoon, and it appears as if a type of clearcoat finish was applied over the color case hardened parts. The serial number was three digits, 8XX, not within the ranges of any production 2nd or 3rd gen Colt reproductions listed by Adler. I bought both pistols from the same gentleman. He had a number of other 2nd gen Colt blackpowder pistols for sale as well. He did not know what the deal was with the mystery pistol. He said he had had it for about 10 years or so and that he had acquired it from someone in Massachusetts. He thought it might have been a so-called "lunchbox special" put together by a Colt employee, but he did not know.

I will say, it looks GREAT. The fit and finish seem as good as any Colt I have seen from the 1960s through the present. If I hadn't read a bit about the 2nd/3rd gen Colt blackpowder guns and someone had told me "Yeah, Colt made a run of reproductions of their old blackpowder revolvers back in the 70s, this is one of those," etc, I would not have questioned it for a second based on its appearence.

I will try to get some clear photos and post them. But in the meantime, does anyone have any idea what it could be?
    Last edited by charlene; 09-15-2009 at 06:59 PM.

Senior Member twaits will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    1561 times
    I've been searching the hell out of Google and still can't find any Colt 2nd or third generation Dragoons listed as having a Hartford address.
    You should post some pics ASAP. Maybe someone else out there has one.

Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    here is a cell phone photo of the mystery pistol at the gun show:
    Attached Images

Supporting Member Colt75 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    336 times
    At first I thougth this mystery 3rd Model Dragoon might be one of the early Colt C Series black powder revolvers that came out around 1974. These revolvers were exceptionally well fitted and finished. However, if I understand things correctly the serial number would seem to preclude that possibility. In that case I would suggest contacting Mr. Dennis Russell. He authors the publication entitled Percussion Colt Revolvers: The Second Generation - Collector's Handbook & Price Guide #5. His publication is quite thorough and does a better job of covering the many variations of Colt post-War blackpowder revolvers than Adler's book. Mr. Russell can be reached at 770-992-6062 or by e-mail at derussell@earthlink.net. You can also order copies of his excellent publication via this contact information or through:

Jared Press
    4401 Shallowford Road
    Suite 162-220
    Roswell, GA 30075

Mr. Russell might be able to shed some light on this interesting abeit mysterious revolver. Good luck and please keep us aprised of further developments.

Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    here are some photos of the barrel markings:
    Attached Images

Junior Member chain-fire is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thumbs down Address for Dennis Russell

The mailing address for Dennis Russell which was posted earlied has recently changed. He may be contacted at the following new address:

Jared Press
    3162 Johnson Ferry Road
    Suite 260 - 607
    Marietta, Georgia 30062

Senior Member twaits will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    1561 times
    Is Dennis Russel a forum member here?

Charlene maybe you should call Colt Archive Services and ask them directly about it. Of course they may have no idea either but it may be worth a call.

Senior Member Buckspen is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    353 times

Mystery Colt

I looked through several books (Adler, Russell and The Book of Colt Firearms) and couldn't find anything that looks exactly like this gun. It most closely resembles a third model Dragoon, but the cylinder looks longer.
    Have you considered that this might not be a Colt? If it were, there should be markings other places than on the top of the barrel.
    There were many reproductions made over the years and this might be one. Also, some of the reproductions were marked with the Colt name and address.
    Let me stress that I am not well versed in the black powder guns and it might well be a genuine Colt that I can't identify.

- - -Buckspen

Member #
    Liked
    183 times

Smile

I have been in touch with Mr. Russell and I think I have some answers. Apparently, it is not a Colt. A number of these things turned up in the northeastern United States about 7 years ago. The origin is uncertain, but it looks like someone made up a batch of these. When I bought it, I figured that it might have been something put together by a gunsmith somewhere using Uberti parts that were given a high polish and very nice Colt-style finish. The seller did not claim that it was a "real" Colt, and though he thought it was possibly built "on the side" by a Colt employee, either with or without the company's sanction, he did not know its true origin. He suggested that it would make a good shooter. I figured that it was worth the price I paid even if it was a "fake". It appears to be an outstanding pistol in its own right, whatever its origin may be.

Supporting Member Colt75 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    336 times
    Pretty interesting story about this gun so far. Thanks for keeping us updated. From the photos it does appear to be very well fitted and finished.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads