Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Disassembling your revolver

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Disassembling your revolver

Anybody ever do this?

I did with an Anaconda just out of curiosity. Disassembled every screw, post.....everything.
    Pretty interesting to learn how everything operates.
    ponyup likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    249 times
    Have never done it but thought about it more than once. Never been able to pull the trigger ( no pun intended ).
    ponyup likes this.
    Can you run 850 feet per second? If not, you had better be bullet proof.

New Colt Cobra 38 SPL+P
    Springfield EMP 4 Contour 9MM
    Glock 43 9MM

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2051 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Biffjohanson View Post
    Anybody ever do this?

I did with an Anaconda just out of curiosity. Disassembled every screw, post.....everything.
    Pretty interesting to learn how everything operates.
    Did I ?!??....Oh yeah !.....The very reason the primary use of brown paper bags is NOT,... as many think,... to carry your work-a-day "blooney & mater" samiches to work.

The real reason, of course, is to sneak that brown bag, chock full of "mysterious-non-fitting-parts", (way MORE than ya took out of the thing),. into the gunsmith's shop, under the pretense of bringing him a doughnut.
    You have to be willing to hear all your friends who happen to be in the gunnie's shop at the time, jeer , hoot , and make lewd remarks, about bringing "sweets to the man", in order to get a better price.

(( You hafta insist gunnie doesn't pull out his non-existent sweet-pie, till all those other uncouth scalawags are gone. ((Because if he does;,,, and they see what's really in the bag, those culls will rain down, the "cat-calls" and other derisive remarks in a torrent !)

But even so,that would be way better than letting them know you can't get the proper "fitment" of all those parts. (Some of which you don't recall ever seeing before !)

By the way Bif Jo, I have a Red Ryder B B gun I took apart in 1948 I have been reassembling ever since. You seemed to fare pretty well with the Anaconda, ((it will shoot now...right ?))... perhaps if I covered postage both ways you could help me out ???

I haven't seen your posts before, but anybody who likes to "take things apart" is my kinda member !
    arjay and Collects like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2315 times
    I used to help out at a gunshop after school. Usually I was given a box or can full of parts and asked to put it back together.
    Will never forget a S&W 357. I couldn't find where a spring and frame screw were supposed to go.
    We didn't have manuals - some times it was a fun game.
    After 2 days of my alloyed time the owner asked how I was coming along.
    Honestly I said, I'm stuck - got a spring and screw and no where to put them.
    He said Oh gimme those they're for the Browning shotgun I'm working on.
    Owner: Spring Creek Armory

Member #
    Liked
    4716 times
    If you don't have leftover parts after reassembly, you've done something wrong.
    ponyup likes this.
    It was me...I shot Liberty Valance.

Member #
    Liked
    1786 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SnidelyWhiplash View Post
    If you don't have leftover parts after reassembly, you've done something wrong.
    When I'm working on a Python, it's usually the firing pin. I don't know how many times I have found it sitting there, grinning at me and blowing raspberries. Take it apart again and start over...
    ponyup likes this.
    Deer Hollow Enterprises, LLC
    Gun repair and restoration

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2051 times
    LeverAction and snidely, I see you both share my fondness for "taking stuff apart". Lever Bill, I have a feeling many of your apprentice gunsmithing jobs came to you in a "Dutchmaster" or "White Owl" cigar box.
    Don't recall there were any "Arturo Fuente" or "Macanudo" boxes around much in the early days.

snidely, I remember from my early days as a helper to a construction equipment mechanic, he rebuilt a Cat D8 transmission, a later year semi-automatic type. When it was ready to be put back in the machine, (according to him),... there were at least 4 or 5 parts left over.

As I recall, when I asked where they went, he made some comment about "good paperweights and probably didn't need em in the first place" !

The old bulldozer served for many years afterwards; did just fine, so perhaps they weren't.
    Last edited by ponyup; 05-17-2017 at 07:55 PM.
    LeverActionBill likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3596 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ponyup View Post
    The real reason, of course, is to sneak that brown bag, chock full of "mysterious-non-fitting-parts", (way MORE than ya took out of the thing),. into the gunsmith's shop, under the pretense of bringing him a doughnut.
    According to our neighbor mechanic when I was growing up, it's better to have parts left over than to run short!

First thing I did when I was given my Python was to strip it for a thorough cleaning. Not at all complicated - just precise. In this day of cell phone cameras, there is no excuse for not taking pics of the action beforehand…

Did I?

Um…..no.
    ponyup and arjay like this.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Survivor of 2 non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas (PTCL-NOS, AITL), bone marrow cancer (MDS) and an allogeneic stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    under "about me" and more detail

As to my avatar, "Trust me, I know what I'm doing!"

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    barring cell phone pictures.......its good to have another one sitting there to open up if you need to....
    ponyup likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I had to do it. I was dying to see inside. I looked over and inspected every part and did my best to figure why each piece was milled in their shape and thickness; what purpose it served and why it couldn't be milled another way. Very interesting. Id love to pick the brain of the engineers behind the mechanics.
    If you haven't done it.....I recommend you do.....it is time well spent.
    Take a few close up pictures of the mechanics and it will easily go back together. And im sure there are videos online.
    I used an Anaconda that was not respected at a pawnshop specifically to see what was inside and to see how well I can polish by hand.
    ponyup and colt03 like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links