+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member charlene is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    194 times

Best Fake Ivory Grips for SAA Clone (Uberti)?

What are the best, or the best value, in immitation ivory grips for an SAA clone, such as an Uberti Cattleman, especially in a one-piece style?

I have an Uberti Cattleman (Cimarron) in .44 Special and I would like to get some decent looking one piece style fake ivory grips for it. I don't want to spend the money for real ivory for this gun, as I expect that the grips would cost more than the gun did new. I believe there are some "one-piece" style synthetic grips that actually consist of two or three pieces that are ultimately glued/apoxied together to form a single piece.

I have heard of various trade names such as "TruIvory", UltraIvory, things like that, that are supposed to look and feel more like the real thing, and I imagine one can simply get some basic white plastic grips as well.

I think some of the "fake" options are quite pricey in their own right, and while I have not actually looked at prices for real ivory grips, if the cost of an immitation started to get close to the real thing, I might have to reconsider.

What do people here think would be the "best" fake ivory grips? How about the "best value", i.e. balance of cost and quality? For comparison, what would a set of real ivory grips cost?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Senior Member The Real Hawkeye is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Without question, these are the best there is. Expensive, but not nearly as expensive a the real thing. These have real looking grain, and can be made to order to look brand new, somewhat old, or antique, very realistically. http://www.truivory.com/

I have a pair, and and some actual ivory grips, and you cannot tell the difference.

Supporting Member Hopalong is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1615 times
    Below is a US Firearms Pre-War with natural white Tru Ivory grips. I'm sorry I didn't order the gun with the slightly-aged color. You can barely see the grain on these. I think the slightly-aged ones would have looked great. These are a little pricey. US Firearms quotes about $250, I believe. I don't know if the distributor sells them direct to consumers.

I've heard that the Ultra Ivory grips from Eagle Grips are nice. I think they run about $125.

*** ColtForum MVP *** dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all

Member #
    Liked
    1689 times
    Ive never seen the "Tru Ivory" grips, but the most "real" looking I've ever seen are grips made of white paper Micarta.

Paper Micarta is made of sheets of high grade white paper. injected with phenolic resin and bonded into a single mass by heat and pressure.

Since real ivory grows in layers, the paper Micarta sheets give it a very close appearance to the real stuff.
    Also, its one of the toughest grip materials, which is why knife makers use it as an ivory substitute.
    It also ages to a Ivory-yellow and can be aged by soaking in tea.

All other ivory look materials are either just some sort of plastic or are ivory dust bonded with phenolic, most of which have no grain.

Among others, Hogue sells paper Micarta grips:
    http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...ath=24_522_572

Although these are two piece, I'd bet that Hogue would supply them with out the screw holes so you can fit them as one piece.
    Making one piece grips from two halves is easy. Simply epoxy a filler block inside the grip sections, which is what many makers actually do with real ivory to hold down costs.
    Last edited by dfariswheel; 09-27-2009 at 01:06 PM.

Supporting Member Colt75 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    350 times
    Tru Ivory stocks are sold directly to the public. Check their web-site for more info:

www.truivory.com

ph# 425-397-3595

Senior Member Mitch is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Take a look at Buffalo Brothers Cowboy Store on the web. I bought one-piece 'antique stag' from them, actually a urethane plastic of their own formulation, for my Uberti Cattleman.
    They have an unbelievable selection and you won't believe your eyes! Beautiful. I believe they're in Mesa Az.

Senior Member SA99054 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have a Third Gen. 1861 Navy that I'd like to have some imitation ivories for. Not quite enough gun for me to justify the real thing!
    I think the grip frame is different than the SAA though.
    I bet one of these companies wold do some custom work.

Senior Member swamprat will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    1915 times
    The most realistic fake ivory grips are the Truivory. I believe the Ultraivory grips sold by Eagle are made in India out of Truivory material. At least the pair that I bought were identical to Truivory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    TED CRUZ FOR PREZ IN '16!

Junior Member Olmontanaboy is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SA99054 View Post
    I have a Third Gen. 1861 Navy that I'd like to have some imitation ivories for. Not quite enough gun for me to justify the real thing!
    I think the grip frame is different than the SAA though.
    I bet one of these companies wold do some custom work.
    Tru-Ivory will fit their grips to your Colt, Here is a set they made for my Uberti 1851 London Navy

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads