+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Junior Member cwooten7 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Colt DA 38 serial number

Good Morning,
    I have a nickel plated DA 38 revolver with a 3 inch barrel and walnut grips in very good condition. The nickel plating is in excellent shape. This revolver was given to my dad (a gunsmith) by a Fed some 50 years ago. I remember the event but not any of the conversation. My 82 year old mom was using the revolver as a self defense weapon and I went to her house to clean it up. I found it loaded with .38 special and immediately unloaded it and brought it home to clean up. The "batch" numbers on the frame and crane are 176. I flipped it over to check the serial number and to my surprise there wasn't a number on the grip frame. There are no file marks on the frame and the nickel plating is intact. I am suspecting it was re-plated at some point. I seem to recall that some military issue arms were not serial numbered but I can't see a nickel plated revolver as an issue weapon. I suspect this may have been a throw down gun. Is there any possibility that there is a serial number somewhere in the works? If not I will remove all of the parts and turn in the frame. Thank you for your input.

Senior Member COLTDAGUY will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cwooten7 View Post
    Good Morning,
    I have a nickel plated DA 38 revolver with a 3 inch barrel and walnut grips in very good condition. The nickel plating is in excellent shape. This revolver was given to my dad (a gunsmith) by a Fed some 50 years ago. I remember the event but not any of the conversation. My 82 year old mom was using the revolver as a self defense weapon and I went to her house to clean it up. I found it loaded with .38 special and immediately unloaded it and brought it home to clean up. The "batch" numbers on the frame and crane are 176. I flipped it over to check the serial number and to my surprise there wasn't a number on the grip frame. There are no file marks on the frame and the nickel plating is intact. I am suspecting it was re-plated at some point. I seem to recall that some military issue arms were not serial numbered but I can't see a nickel plated revolver as an issue weapon. I suspect this may have been a throw down gun. Is there any possibility that there is a serial number somewhere in the works? If not I will remove all of the parts and turn in the frame. Thank you for your input.

Hi Wooten7,

It sounds like you have one of the Naw Army or Navy Model revolvers. Look on the butt of the revolver. The Colt serial number should be on the forward part of the metal between the wooden grips. The other numbers you quoted are assembly numbers or batch numbers as you called them. The New Army and Navy models had the assembly number on the frame inside the crane cutout. The serial number is only on the butt. Hope that helps. Bob

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for the information. There is no serial number on the butt. Looks like I will get some parts and I will turn in the frame. I don't think there are any other options.
    Cal

Senior Member Snubbies is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

NO Serial Number

I checked with a friend at ATF. He said in some cases older guns were not required to have serial numbers. He wasn't sure when that was but as long as the gun has not had the serial number illegally removed you should be OK. Call ATF in your area and pose the question. A shame to sell parts from a perfectly good gun. Let me know what you find out.

Senior Member Snubbies is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Serial Number

Checked with COLT The question intrigued me. He said COLT has always put serial number on handguns. Who Knows. Good Luck

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for the suggestion. I am awaiting a return call. It may be that this revolver never had a serial number. The frame is in perfect shape as is the nickel plating. I hope it turns out that I can keep this old revolver. I will let you know as soon as I hear back from them.
    Cal

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I just heard back from the atf. After giving them the history they gave me a number that I can call and get a serial number issued. I have gone over the frame and it is level, the metal is homogeneous (non added), no file or tool marks and the plating is perfect? Could they have missed this one? The ATF thinks it is not a big deal.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Forgot this tidbit. The lady that I spoke with from the ATF said that getting a serial number for a gun that did not have one applied to any firearm made before GCA68 so long as the firearm had not been altered. She actually said before 1968.

Senior Member mike hudson is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    cal, bob (colt da guy) might want to weigh in on this, but having recently acquired an old colt .38 da with all the 1901 modifications and no serial number myself. additionally the rinaldo carr acceptance mark was removed from the frame but not from the back of the cylinder.

also, i've seen maybe a half-dozen of these guns lacking sn's in stores & online being offered for sale over the past year or so.

i believe that quite a few of the new army & navy .38 da's were "liberated" by the rough riders, pershing's mexican expedition of 1916 or whoever used them during their original period of use, which lasted until ww2.

removing the sn and govt. markings would make it difficult to say an individual piece was stolen from u.s. stocks. the dealers who've had them generally claim that the assembly number is the serial number.

if my gun had been refinished, especially in nickel, the well-done polishing used to remove the markings would be undetectable, to me anyway, and since the rest of the piece wouldn't have to be polished much if at all the other markings would be preserved.

does yours have the rampant colt on the left side of the frame, just above the rear of the grip panel?

Senior Member twaits will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    1411 times
    Does one really need to worry about it on an old gun like this?
    I can't remember the last time an ATF agent came to my door too
    see if all my guns had serial numbers. And if one did (right before
    I got struck by lightening) I'd show him or her the batch number on
    the crane and say "there's the serial number right there dumbass."

Incidentally, I have a S&W topbreak from the 1880s that most of the number has been ground off. Does this count? Oh wait, thats right
    its an antique so it's not even a real gun according to the ATF. I couldn't possibly hurt anyone with that thing!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads