+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member JamesRJr is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Recommendations Sought for revolvers chambered in .32 H&R Magnum

I am looking for a revolver chambered in .32 H&R Magnum.
    Wondering if any of y’all had any “favorites” to point me towards.

Colt of course. (Or S&W maybe, if that’s OK).

This revolver will be carried, so my preferences would be:
    - short-ish barrel
    - light-ish weight

But then I have two other preferences which sort of run contrary to carry logic:
    1- I just don’t like shrouded hammers (sorry, I can’t help it).
    2- I have big hands and long fingers. I am really more comfortable with a bigger frame/grip.
    But maybe...for carry...stay with a small frame and find the right grips to “swell” the grip/size for me? ? ?

Anybody have any favorite revolvers to recommend, and/or ideas about mating my big hand to a small frame revolver?

Thanks for your help!

JamesD

P.S. An older gun off the used market would be my strong preference.

“What ought one to say then as each hardship comes? ‘I was practicing for this, I was training for this.’ "

- Epictetus, Roman Philosopher

Member AkRay is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Charter Arms made some 32 H&R Magnum double action revolvers. Smith & Wesson did too, and the Ruger SP 101 was also chambered in this caliber. For single actions, Ruger also made Single Sixes in 32 H&R Magnum. I don't remember that Colt made anything in this caliber, but that doesn't mean they didn't.

Member JamesRJr is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks AkRay.
    To you and just for the record - I'm looking for a DA (DA/SA).

Of what you mentioned, I sure would like to learn more about what S&W made.
    Do you know any specific model numbers, or how they were designated, so I could pursue more specifically?

Thanks,

James
    “What ought one to say then as each hardship comes? ‘I was practicing for this, I was training for this.’ "

- Epictetus, Roman Philosopher

Member crox is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I suggest a 4" S&W 16-4 (it is a K frame, like the M14), or the new Ruger SP101 327 Federal Magnum that can use also 32 H&R Magnum and even 32 S&W long.

Supporting Member popeye is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    S&W J frames available but out of production: J frame w\hammer 631 331...S&W J frames available in limited production 431 w\hammer. Same models 632 332 432 are hammerless Centennial style. All these are 6 shot. All these are lightweight. 631-632 (I had a 632) are stainless, limited production sought after guns. 331-332 are Titanium. I currently have a 432 (all these are black powder coat). S&W MOD 16's are highly sought after and start in price at $1200.. I like the .32 HR, but factory ammo is virtually non existent. I know this is heresy but my understanding is a DS in .32 NP can safely be reamed to accept .32 HR. The .32 NP is built on the .38 spec cyl/frame so is strong enough. Ruger has a .327 but only in 3". I "believe" Taurus makes a snub .327 but, I don't care for Taurus.
    Last edited by popeye; 10-21-2009 at 04:59 AM.
    NRA Lifer, Poor speller

Senior Member Hobie is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    It may not be politic, but I'd get the SP-101 in .327 Federal and use the HR round in it. If you aren't going to carry in your pocket the weight shouldn't be that much of an issue.

I believe, although some may disagree, that one should look for maximum flexibility in ammunition usability and/or availability especially if one is limited in the number of firearms one can own (whatever the reason). The .327 Federal round does seem to be in short supply at the moment. However, one can use the .32 H&R, .32 S&W Long, .32 S&W and even, in a pinch, the .32 ACP (in some/most guns). I see no reason to exclude one more cartridge from the lineup.
    Sincerely,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Supporting Member smkummer is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    206 times

Smith for sale

My nephew has a 2 in. Smith and Wesson in 32 H&R for sale. I'll ask him what he wants for it. He shoots both the mag. and 32 S&W longs in it. I am sure he would sell the dies and empties with it also. Let me know if interested. Mike smkummer@juno.com Colt never chambered the round as a factory offering but cylinders were offered to convert D frame guns such as the detective special and police positive.

Senior Member mike hudson is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    i've always felt that the .32 h&r mag was too much like two other rounds -- the .32-20 and the 7.62 nagant -- to warrant even inventing it. a two-inch russian nagant revolver is a pretty neat gun, and they cost so little to begin with that you can trick them up any way you'd like with no regrets.

Senior Member MMCSRET is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    I became interested in 327 Magnum earlier this year, did some looking around at the offerings, no Colts, dammit, but I knew that. I wanted a longer barrel and adjustable sights. Only one offering, Charter Arms Target Patriot, It is my favorite modern revolver now. Good fit, finish and function. I ordered the optional walnut grips, they are larger and longer, had to do a little relieving to get them to fit.
    It is a fine gun and handles 32 magnum really well, and of course 327. I've put about a thousand rounds thru it in 5 months, its a keeper.

Senior Member swamprat will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    1818 times
    The Colt 32's can indeed be rechambered to 32 Mag. Here are two DS's that I rechambered, one to 32 Mag & the other to 32-20.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    TED CRUZ FOR PREZ IN '16!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads