+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member Gunstock is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Value of RCMP New Service?

Can anyone give me an idea of the value of a Royal Canadian Mounted Police New Service revolver in .45 Colt, @ 1940-41 in very good to excellent condition.

Thanks, John

Senior Member charles isaac is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    I'd give $800 for one in actual NRA Very Good condition, so I'll take a wild stab and say it must be worth at least $1500.

edited to say: And Documented as sold to the RCMP.

Some of the more knowledgeable should be along to give you the true value.
    Last edited by charles isaac; 12-02-2009 at 11:45 AM.

Senior Member mike hudson is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    weren't the rcmp guns in .455 eley?

Junior Member Gunstock is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    About 1350 .455 Eley were purchased between 1904 and 1914.
    Between 1919 and 1942 the RCMP purchased about 1795 in .45 Colt.
    There was another purchase of 50 .455's in 1932.
    They used the .455 West of Ontario and the .45 Colts in Ontario and eastwards.

I believe the .455's were usually stamped NWMP (NorthWest Mounted Police) or RNWMP (Royal NorthWest Mounted Police) on the backstrap and MP (Mounted Police) on the butt.
    After 1920 they were just stamped on the butt so the .45 Colts would just read MP.

The gun I am looking at is documented as being delivered in 1941 and is in .45 Colt

John

Senior Member Matquig is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I could swear I had one in the 70's that had "R.C.M.P." on the backstrap........

Junior Member cottonfarmer is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Can anyone out there help me with a conundrum. I found an old safe queen that I had forgot about. It is a New Service in about 99% blue condition. The serial #354XXX makes it a late model. It has the Coltwood plastic medallion grips. The frame and and the crane are matching serial #'s. Under the ejector star on the rear of the cylinder is stamped #498. This # is stamped under the left grip on the backstrap at the bottom. All edges and markings are sharp as can be. It is in .357 w/ 6"bbl and there is somewhat of a mark on the front of the cylinder. If anyone has the book on the New Service by Timothy Mullin, the mark looks like the one on page 177 of the "T" on the crane. I call it a "horned cross-bar T" because that's what it looks like a T with "horns" on the top cross-bar. Now the factory letter comes back that the gun was shipped in Oct of '41 as a .45. No bbl length listed. Sold to the US gov't. Shipped to the commanding general of the Springfield Armory in Sp. Mass. There is a special notation to the letter that states, "N.S. Frames".

Senior Member mike hudson is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    gunstock...from what i've seen then, charles's $1,500 estimate might be aout right, depending on condition. maybe more.

Senior Member wraco is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Here's a Colt New Service, in 45 Colt, I have. It was manufactured in 1919 and sent to the Royal Northwest Mounted Police. There's, MP stamped on the bottom of the grip frame, next to the lanyard swivel.

After 1920, or so, the RNWMP became the RCMP. There's nothing stamped on the backstrap. It's in very good condition, tight with no endshake and plenty of hammer travel remaining after the cylinder locks up.

Regards:
    Rod

Senior Member haggis is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cottonfarmer View Post
    Can anyone out there help me with a conundrum. I found an old safe queen that I had forgot about. It is a New Service in about 99% blue condition. The serial #354XXX makes it a late model. It has the Coltwood plastic medallion grips. The frame and and the crane are matching serial #'s. Under the ejector star on the rear of the cylinder is stamped #498. This # is stamped under the left grip on the backstrap at the bottom. All edges and markings are sharp as can be. It is in .357 w/ 6"bbl and there is somewhat of a mark on the front of the cylinder. If anyone has the book on the New Service by Timothy Mullin, the mark looks like the one on page 177 of the "T" on the crane. I call it a "horned cross-bar T" because that's what it looks like a T with "horns" on the top cross-bar. Now the factory letter comes back that the gun was shipped in Oct of '41 as a .45. No bbl length listed. Sold to the US gov't. Shipped to the commanding general of the Springfield Armory in Sp. Mass. There is a special notation to the letter that states, "N.S. Frames".
    I'll take a stab at it. I guess that in August of 1949, Colt converted the gun to .357 from its original caliber. If the barrel is a standard .357 barrel, it should have the appropriate patent markings on top. No patent markings, and it still may be a Colt barrel - I have a .357 conversion like that. A small star on the front of the cylinder will also indicate that as a Colt part. You didn't say what .45 the original caliber was. If .45ACP, the frame lug will also have been cut down, although if Colt did the work, you probably won't be able to tell. If .45 Colt, no frame mods were necessary.

Keep in mind that this is just one scenario. There are several others, depending on parts markings and the imagination of the particular theorist. You will likely never know exactly what was done and by whom.

Buck

Senior Member COLTDAGUY will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunstock View Post
    Can anyone give me an idea of the value of a Royal Canadian Mounted Police New Service revolver in .45 Colt, @ 1940-41 in very good to excellent condition.

Thanks, John
    In California, The RCMP and NWMP guns are selling for about $1100... I sold some for this price awhile back and it seems to be what the going prices are on the internet... Just My Opinon... Bob

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links