+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SAA Calibers?

Senior Member atavuss is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

SAA Calibers?

of all the current calibers the newest gen Colt SAA is offered in is there any difference in which caliber would be more collectable? how about which finish (nickle or blue) would be more collectable? would I be correct in that a factory engraved SAA would be more collectable too?
    I recently picked up a new production Colt SAA that has never been fired, cocked, or loaded with box, sleeve, and papers. it is a .45 Colt, blue and case hardened, and 4.75" barrel.
    seems that most people want a plastic semi-auto handgun now, the classic revolvers are not appreciated as they should be (except for many of us here on this forum).
    Thanks for any feedback offered!

Senior Member Wyatt Burp is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    2014 times
    Hi, Ed. On Gunbroker for example, people are selling NIB 38-40, 38 Special, 32-20, and everything else except .44 Special though I heard here they are available again. I'd go for the new Colt Fronteir Sixshooter with the blackpowder frame in 44-40. It looks 98% like an 1880's Colt and they're bound to discontinue it. I bet this is the sleeper out there now for future collectors. Most others have evened out it looks like to me. Maybe those 38-40 and 32-20's would be a good bet for value increase, too. And of course any factory engraved one with verification is in an upper level all their own.

Senior Member cubrock is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    If 3rd Generation guns become like 1sts and 2nds, then the more "obscure" calibers, while rarer, will have less interest down the road. Try selling a 1st Gen .45 and .38-40 at the same time, with condition being equal. The .45 will have more interest every time, even though it is more common than the .38-40. Do the same with a .45 Colt 2nd Gen and a .38 Special 2nd Gen. The .38 Special is quite uncommon, yet you see them sitting on tables unsold at every large gun show and all over the internet. The nice .45s just plain sell.

45 Colt and .44-40 seem to be the perennial favorites among guys wanting a single action.

Senior Member rep1954 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    All my Colt Single Actions are 45's and the next two planned are 45 also.

Senior Member Ken S is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yup, I agree, I have a Colt SAA in .45 colt, which is now 20 years old, and I just bought a short bbl. match, also in .45.
    I have a .44/40 1st bisley, see pics posted recently and the 45's are easier to shoot and load.
    One thing. I bought the new .45 new in the box, unturned, unfired, and ran to the range and made it MY gun. Go ahead and shoot the darn thing, that's what it's made for. Save the older ones for show. Ken

Senior Member hwjhfs is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    363 times

You got it...

Quote Originally Posted by atavuss View Post
    I recently picked up a new production Colt SAA that has never been fired, cocked, or loaded with box, sleeve, and papers. it is a .45 Colt, blue and case hardened, and 4.75" barrel.
    Supposedly, if you read David M. Brown, there were 36 different calibers chambered in the Colt SAA. From the most produced calibers: .45LC; .44WCF; .38WCF; 41LC and .32WCF you bought the most desireable in my opinion. If you want to consider the other 31 calibers such as the .44 GERMAN, .22 RF, .476 Eley et al, all else equal they will bring more money because of their rarity.

Production numbers and rarity do not always reflect demand or prices. Take the Ford Mustang from the 60's....millions were made and they still are in demand and bring good money.

Your recent purchase is the most popular finish, most popular caliber and most popular barrel length. You did well.

Senior Member atavuss is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I just can't bring myself to shoot the NIB Colt SAA so I bought a clone from Matt (Wyatt Burp) to use as a shooter.
    would there be a preference for barrel length too as the .45 Colt seems to be the favorite caliber?
    myself I prefer the 4.75" barrel...........

Senior Member cubrock is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    One of the least common calibers for the SAA is .44 Rimfire. I had the....er....pleasure of selling one in an estate I was working for this past year. Rare? In original configuration like this one, yes. Plus it was in pretty good shape for a rimfire SAA. Desireable? Well, let's just say you have to find the right person to capitalize on the rarity. The vast majority of the people interested in it were dealers who wanted to pay 50 cents on the dollar for it. Finding an end-buyer for it was quite challenging and, even then, it didn't bring anywhere close to "book." It would have been far easier to sell a few blackpowder .45s for the same money than what it took to get that rimfire out the door.

Senior Member sixgunshorty35717 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    45 Colt for sure
    I am a Colt Custom Shop Dealer and order a lot of new Colts..45 is by far the most desirable, followed by 44-40, 357 mag, 38-40, 38 spl and 32-20

Senior Member twaits will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    1559 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Burp View Post
    Hi, Ed. On Gunbroker for example, people are selling NIB 38-40, 38 Special, 32-20, and everything else except .44 Special though I heard here they are available again. I'd go for the new Colt Fronteir Sixshooter with the blackpowder frame in 44-40. It looks 98% like an 1880's Colt and they're bound to discontinue it. I bet this is the sleeper out there now for future collectors. Most others have evened out it looks like to me. Maybe those 38-40 and 32-20's would be a good bet for value increase, too. And of course any factory engraved one with verification is in an upper level all their own.

.44 Special is available but it has to be special ordered through the custom shop. Charlene bought one earlier in the year but he had problems with sight regulation on it. Theres a very long thread on it here somewhere. It took two trips back to Colt to get it right. It seems that they were putting .44-40 front sight blades on the special order .44 Specials. The sight hieght is supposed to be different for these two calibers. Anyone special ordering a .44 Special should be advised to tell Colt to MAKE SURE they install a barrel with the correct front sight blade.

Ads