+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Wyatt Burp is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1551 times

Still Have Your First Sixgun?

In 1970 my dad bought me this Single Six Ruger. New. I was 13. We found a left handed rig at the flea market and he modified it to fit me and made a completely new metal line holster to screw onto the back flap. After watching The Culpepper Cattle Company where this guy had a 5 1/2" blue Colt with pearl grips, my dad and I drove into S.F. where he got me these fake pearls. They were $8. The latest, a 1971 reblued Colt .45. You still have your first one? If so, let's see 'em for old times sake.
    Last edited by Wyatt Burp; 12-27-2009 at 03:04 PM.

Junior Member mic214 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My first revolver was a Ruger Single Six that my dad bought in 1968. I still have it. Originally it had a 5-1/2" barrel, but I had a so called "Gunsmith" shorten it to 4-5/8".....he did a very poor hack job of it and I regretted ever having it done...

A couple of years ago, I found a 9-1/2" barrel and had that installed....It is still a great little shooter:

Member stateline is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Talking

My dad and I bought this Frontier Scout back in the 1950s. He paid half and I paid half. Full price was $49.95 and it took me 4 weeks to get the $25.00. I was 15 and sacking groceries at the Super Value for 35 cents an hour after school.
    Stateline
    Last edited by stateline; 12-27-2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: getting photo to work

Senior Member Wyatt Burp is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1551 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mic214 View Post
    My first revolver was a Ruger Single Six that my dad bought in 1968. I still have it. Originally it had a 5-1/2" barrel, but I had a so called "Gunsmith" shorten it to 4-5/8".....he did a very poor hack job of it and I regretted ever having it done...

A couple of years ago, I found a 9-1/2" barrel and had that installed....It is still a great little shooter:

I think your longer barrel is no distraction from the gun as you should look at it. It's still your first gun. And have you ever grown up? Really, I haven't, when it comes to this stuff.. And it makes that cliche about "men's toys.." completely true and nothing to have to explain about.

Senior Member MMCSRET is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Yes, I still have my first six gun. A Colt Bisley, inherited when my grandfather died in 1955. 32 WCF, 7.5" with flap holster and cartridge belt holding 44 cartridges. Helluva gun for a 10 tear old. It led to my learning to cast and handload the next year. Remington(Rem-Umc) and Winchester(Super-X) 100 gr. JSP factory ammo was $5.30 a box at Ralph's Outfitters. Too much money for an 11 year old. A cowboy up the canyon gave me my first try at the Black Arts, still have it and still at it.

Supporting Member Hopalong is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    927 times
    In 1982 when I was 16, my father bought me a New Model Single Six. I still have it. I recently installed some elk grips on it. I will probably send it to Ruger for a reblue and give it to my son when he is old enough.

Senior Member capstan is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    226 times
    My first revolver was a colt frontier scout (.22) my dad gave me when I was 16. It got stolen over 30 years ago ,so no I dont have it.
    The next revolver (my dad gave me) was a ruger security six 2 3/4 inch barrel. I still have it and it still shoots great.

Member NavyFrank is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

First Revolver

Still have my first revolver I got when I was an Army Brat in Germany. Armi-Jager SAA made in Italy in .357 Magnum with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. Fired many a special out of it.

Senior Member charles isaac is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    I envy you guys that had a father that cared about you. I had an evil WWII Army Air Corps Warrant Officer Stepfather that did nothing but try to bring me down.

So not to be off topic, this is the first handgun in my life, the first handgun I ever saw and it came from a father figure that cared about me.

My Grandfather was my father figure, although I only saw him about once a year. A WWII Army Vet, he used to take me out shooting and patiently coach me. On his hip in a brown US flap holster was a "Forty Five". That's what he called it-not a 1911 etc. just "Forty Five", because to him, there was no other "Forty Five".

Grampa used to say "I wouldn't give a nickle for every revolver ever made!"

He passed on 8 years ago. I guess my ancient Grandma was finally ready to pass his things along this past Fall. Grampa had a lot of guns, but no revolvers, of course. When asked which guns of his I wanted, I said "Just his Forty Five."

Supporting Member Hopalong is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    927 times
    Charles,

Thanks for sharing.

Tim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads