+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frontier Scout

Junior Member ReoRonn is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Frontier Scout

I own a Colt Frontier Scout '62 revolver. I am sure it was made about 1962. I graduated high school in 1963, so this pistol links me to my late teens. I have owned the gun for about 4 years. When I bought it, I noticed a chip out of one of the fake stag grips which was ok. Later, the grips simply fell off. The previous owner had ground away at the screw sleeve and had filled the cavity with some sort of glue which ultimately failed to hold the grips together on the frame. These grips have the rearing colt medallions so I don't want to replace them with some clone-style grips.

Does anyone know of a set of Colt, simulated stag grips with the medallions for the Frontier Scout pistol? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    RioRonn

*** ColtForum MVP *** dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all

Member #
    Liked
    1687 times

Re: Frontier Scout

This is going to be tough to replace.

The only place I know of where these might show up is on Ebay.
    The usual Colt parts source, Gun Parts Corporation doesn't list them.

You might try contacting Gun Parts, and check with Jack First Gun Parts: http://www.jackfirstgun.com

Probably the best option is to do a better repair of the originals.
    You might try cleaning the old glue off, and resetting the bushing with a good epoxy.

asa
    Senior Member asa is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

dfaris is, as always, correct; I recall seeing these very grips, but it was quite some time ago. Sooner or later a pair will show up-just keep checking. Good luck-Asa

Senior Member WS23 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Sorry but I disagree with both of you.

Those simulated stag factory stocks for the Single Action 22 Colts are quite common and readily available. Check e-bay. I see them all the time. Here is one such example that just ended yesterday! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

You likely won't go a couple weeks without seeing a set up for sale. I have seen them sell for as low as $19.00! Just keep your eye open and don't bid them up too high like the set in the link above. There will always be another set up for sale.

Senior Member WS23 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

In fact there is a set up there right now with 3 days left!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

If you are dieing for a set go ahead and bid, but you can find them for under $30 easily if you bide your time. I've bought 4 sets and never paid more than $28.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:

You might try contacting Gun Parts, and check with Jack First Gun Parts: http://www.jackfirstgun.com

You might try cleaning the old glue off, and resetting the bushing with a good epoxy.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RioRonn

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thank you for your input. I was at the local Wal-Mart and was looking at some glues/epoxys. Some will not adhere to plastic. This sounds strange but I went back and re-read the directions on some of the more populsr glues. I believe this is ultimately what I will have to do.

I am not concerned about the color inside the grip holding the bushing. However, these grips have yellowed with age to a John Wayne pistol grip shade of yellow. I want to take some epoxy and add color to it to try and achieve the same color of the grip. The visible chiped out area is at the inside curve of the grip next to the frame. I think I can do this by shaving a child's color crayon melting and then mixing it with the epoxy. I can then form the smooth surface, blending it in with the rest of the grip. At least I think this will work. ReoRonn
    RioRonn

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WS23:
    Sorry but I disagree with both of you.

Those simulated stag factory stocks for the Single Action 22 Colts are quite common and readily available. Check e-bay. I see them all the time. Here is one such example that just ended yesterday! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39425&item=7162796 666& rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

You likely won't go a couple weeks without seeing a set up for sale. I have seen them sell for as low as $19.00! Just keep your eye open and don't bid them up too high like the set in the link above. There will always be another set up for sale.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for both of your replies. I have checked with the two items on ebay. The grips are there, one set sold the other set is for sale. For now, I am going to try a repair job on the grips I already have. This is a financial decision. I have a pristine Colt New Frontier with 4 1/2" barrel in .22 cal. I find myself shooting this one lately when I go out plinking with my grandson.

I mentioned my fondness for the Colt '62 in an earlier post. I began dating my wife in 1962. We were juniors in high school. We married in 1965 and will celebrate our 40th anniversary in August of this year.

When we went on cheap dates, I used to take my original Frontier Scout pistol, buy 2 boxes of cartridges at 1.75 each (3.50 for 100 rounds). We would then go out to the coal mine stripper pits and shoot cans. My salary which was minimum wages at my part-time job was 1.25 per hour in those days. Gas for cars was about .22-.23 cts/gal. and I still had to budget closely.

Later, I discovered the challenge of shooting rats at the stripmines. The coal mining industry left spoil banks after taking out the coal. Their idea of reclamation was to plant rows of pine trees along the roadways to cover the spoilbanks facing the traffic. People would drive back mining haul roads and dump trash and garbage at some of these places. This draws rats. At sundown the rats would come out and run their trails. The shooter wold stand in the trash and in the dark. He could hear them brushing against cans as they moved toward him. The object of the shoot is to hold a flashlight in one hand and a pistol in the other, listening to the sound of the rattleling of the cans as the rat approached. The shooter tracks the rats by sound, then when close enough, he flashes the light beam on the rat and fires at the same instant. The shooter has to be quick because the rat leaps for cover the instant he sees light. It took a lot of practice but I did kill several rats with this method and that old Colt pistol. My would-be-wife never went with me rat hunting.

I traded the Frontier Scout revolver for a hunting bow in 1969. I killed a 9 point, 165 lb. Pope & young Deer with that bow the same year. However, I have always regretted trading the Frontier Scout pistol. The bow was only 40.00 but I was married with a 2-year-old son and could not afford the price of the bow. I own a bunch of other guns now, but still have a fondness for the Frontier Scout pistols.

If my repair job on the Scout grips turns out well, I will post some photos with a description of how my trial and error method works out. Thanks again for your posts.

ReoRonn
    RioRonn

Ads