+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Wyatt Burp is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    2005 times

Col. Charles Askins Practicing Shooting People (old pics)

This is from a mid '50's Gun Digest. It shows Askins practicing hipshooting with a Colt SAA and S&W engraved Registered .357. Berns-Martin and probably a Brill holster was choice of leather here.
    I DELETED THESE PICS FROM AN OLD GUN DIGEST BECAUSE THERE HAS BEEN COPYRIGHT ISSUES ON THESE FORUMS LATELY.

Last edited by Wyatt Burp; 01-31-2011 at 07:00 AM.

Senior Member randyhamrick is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I was an instructor in a Firearms Instructor School a few years ago when a student tried the "variation of the Curly Bill spin" with his Sig. The slide cycled. Lots of blood and bandaging later he was back on the shooting line...
    Stay safe,
    Randy

Senior Member flanman is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    122 times
    I was the Medical Examiner about 12y ago when a teenager tried to spin his revolver. Guns are weapons not toys even if firing them is an enjoyable pasttime! flanman

Junior Member batman54 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by randyhamrick View Post
    I was an instructor in a Firearms Instructor School a few years ago when a student tried the "variation of the Curly Bill spin" with his Sig. The slide cycled. Lots of blood and bandaging later he was back on the shooting line...
    If it had been up to me, he would not of been allowed back on the range.

Senior Member Matquig is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Always wondered about firing autos upside down. I think Matt Damon did it in the first "Bourne" movie near the end, just before he plunges down the center of the staircase, shooting. You'd still have to practice that one, even if using blanks, as get it wrong, and you will cut your hand up.

Senior Member charles isaac is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Great post!

I was spoiled so badly by these gunwriters years ago that I can't even read a new gun mag (rag) without putting it down in disgust.

That's great you can mention men like Askins, Skelton, Nonte, O'Connor, Keith, Jordan etc. and most people here know exactly who your talking about.

Well, it's great, or we're just a bunch of old guys.

Cooper was the last of them, but he's gone now too.

Senior Member broknaxl is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    Quote Originally Posted by charles isaac View Post
    Great post!

I was spoiled so badly by these gunwriters years ago that I can't even read a new gun mag (rag) without putting it down in disgust.

That's great you can mention men like Askins, Skelton, Nonte, O'Connor, Keith, Jordan etc. and most people here know exactly who your talking about.

Well, it's great, or we're just a bunch of old guys.

Cooper was the last of them, but he's gone now too.
    +1 on this, you can add Jack O'Conner and John Wooters to that list. The reasons I have .270's and Mannlicher stocked rifles. Some of the new writers aren't bad, it just seems that the mags don't have room for a story that has any body to it.

(OOPS I see you did have O'Conner in your list)
    Last edited by broknaxl; 01-25-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: add
    This is America - You don't redistribute wealth. You earn it !! " Shoot em in the right eye - it spoils their aim!"
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Whittington Center Life Member
    Life Member NAHC

Senior Member Matquig is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Cooper was a high school history teacher in southern California, while in the Marine Corps reserve, until he moved to AZ and built Gunsite. While in So. California, he particpated in cowboy fast draw, which evolved into modern combat shooting, and from that he built his forte, as he progressed to the 1911 as THE gun for combat pistol shooting. He was never a cop, and his combat experience was that of an Marine junior officer aboard a ship (if I got the story correct) in the So. Pacific, during WWII. I don't think he was ever a front line troop in WWII. Anyone have more complete info on this? I guess what I'm saying is that, although he rose to the rank of Lt. Col. in the Marine reserve, his real combat experience was possibly not as much as your average big city cop. I don't know if, when it comes to the discussion of real fighting men, Cooper is in that category.

Senior Member randyhamrick is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Matquig View Post
    I don't know if, when it comes to the discussion of real fighting men, Cooper is in that category.
    My memory is failing me and I can't name the book (I lost my library in my divorce)...

...in one of Cooper's books/articles he speaks of active service in the Korean war, and using his issue 1911 in three actual shootings. As I remember it he was expounding on the Hollywood myth of people getting "blown backward" when shot by a handgun. He explains how diversely these three people's bodies reacted when shot - dispelling the Hollywood image.

I attended Ray Chapman's Academy three times in the early 80s. Chapman and Cooper were close friends, dating back to the "Big Bear" days and fast draw competitions in California. Chapman was also a (young) combat Marine in WWII. Chapman told me Cooper was the "real deal".

I'm convinced.
    Stay safe,
    Randy

Senior Member Wyatt Burp is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    2005 times
    Quote Originally Posted by randyhamrick View Post
    My memory is failing me and I can't name the book (I lost my library in my divorce)...

...in one of Cooper's books/articles he speaks of active service in the Korean war, and using his issue 1911 in three actual shootings. As I remember it he was expounding on the Hollywood myth of people getting "blown backward" when shot by a handgun. He explains how diversely these three people's bodies reacted when shot - dispelling the Hollywood image.

I attended Ray Chapman's Academy three times in the early 80s. Chapman and Cooper were close friends, dating back to the "Big Bear" days and fast draw competitions in California. Chapman was also a (young) combat Marine in WWII. Chapman told me Cooper was the "real deal".

I'm convinced.
    "No Second Place Winner"?. Back in the 80's I was researching an Andy Anderson holster I bought and I called up Ray Chapman at the shooting school of his. He was a LIVE AMMO single action fast draw champ. I asked him how come he used 7 1/2" barrel Colts (All the blank shooters used 4 3/4"). He said simply, "Because I hit better with 'em". These guys shooting live ammo had to be more careful and they counted on accuracy, not just black powder particles popping baloons. So the long barrel wasn't a disadvantage at all. I was really impressed by that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads