+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Senior Member GUNKWAZY is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    317 times

If you guys are storing your guns in foam lined cases, please look at this.

Here's something for you guys that think it's safe to just store your guns in the foam lined case that they came in from the factory.
    If this does not make you do something RIGHT NOW, you're a fool.
    This is a cryin' shame.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=157730109

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Senior Member wdhdoc is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Indeed a crying shame. Must have been put to bed on a moist/wet foam
    It's heartbreaking.
    Will be interesting to see what it goes for.....If bought at a low price, a definite candidate for a trip to the Colt factory for a re-blue.
    wdhdoc

Senior Member quicksilvergoat is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ouch! Gunkwazy what storage tips do you have for a novice collector like myself? Are there different storage needs for different finish types?

Senior Member coltpython is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I saw that. I don't think I would even come close to paying his asking price. My uncle was building a house about 5 years ago. He sold his before he got his new one finished so he lived with my g-ma. He put my g-pa's prised Browning .264, about a $3500 gun, under the bed in a foam case. Forgot about it, not a gun person just wanted it for the value, and it was there for over a year. It is not in near as bad shape as this poor python but it did some damage in just a years time!! I store my guns in a rack in my safe or in the lock box in just plastic boxes no foam or anything that will attract moisture....

Senior Member coltmanhere is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    That does suck on such a sweet Python

Senior Member Tom_M is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Several years ago, I started using "Bore-Store" bags. Fleece lined, silicone impregnated, cloth bags with a velcro closure. I keep the guns in the original boxes with a silica-gel pack, after I remove the foam, and store it elsewhere.

You can also buy "vapor paper" of the type used by S&W, and others, for their new guns. As long as the gun is not touching the foam, and the foam doesn't get wet, you're OK.

Very sad about that Python.
    Tom
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Member

Senior Member targetshootr is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Any foam-lined case will do that because of condensation.

Supporting Member rfo1 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Like Tom M. I use Bore Stores with all my firearms. They are very inexpensive and won't let you down. Brownells has them if anyone is interested.

Member SHOOTER13 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Exclamation My 2 cents...

I've been using this product since 1995...comes in sizes ranging from derringer to scoped hunting rifle. I highly recommend them!!

http://norustbags.net/spec.html

Just bought my 3rd set ( of 35 bags )...they last a minimum of 5 years if not being opened and closed on a daily basis...as they rely on corrosion inhibiting vapors against the bare metal of the firearm.
    SHOOTER13

Senior Member ohiobuckeye is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    285 times
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilvergoat View Post
    Ouch! Gunkwazy what storage tips do you have for a novice collector like myself? Are there different storage needs for different finish types?

Over the 50 or so years I've kept and stored guns, the only long term method that has never failed me is the genuine vapor paper (VPI) wrapped around a gun that has been thoroughly cleaned and treated with a good rust preventative coating. Opinions will vary over which rust preventative is the best but there are several good ones on the market from plain old Rig grease to Corrosion X. I've been down the path with most of the soft pouches, boxes, cases, etc,...including those that are silicone treated, and have had rust appear on guns.
    Now, let me add something before somebody tells me I'm full of baloney and they have used this or that method forever and never had any problems. Over the years I've lived in many places that barely had heat in the winter, much less anything that could be called climate control. For the past few years I have been fortunate enough to live in a home that can be kept at the chosen temperature +/- a couple of degrees year round with humidity at 40-50%. A stable temperature and humidity makes it much easier to prevent rust. The worst tears I ever shed were over a new Colt Woodsman(birthday gift from the wife) that rusted inside a silicone treated gun storage pouch during a humid Ohio valley summer when we lived in an old house with no A/C.
    The rust risk is much lower in a temperature/humidity stable environment but I still use the VPI and rust preventative combo and have not had a single problem. It's the only method that has a 100% positive track record.
    Another method touted by those who put high dollar guns into long term storage is the Renaissance cleaner and wax treatment. I haven't tried it and imagine it would be a royal pain to use on guns that are still shot on occasion. Perhaps someone will chime in with details from hands on experience with the wax method. I have wondered if it may be a better choice for the guns I have that will never be shot...At least not while I own them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads