+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member tln1313 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question on a Colt 41 DA

Thought I might find a little help here on this revolver. My friend has one that is in decent (75%) shape with serial # of B9417. There is no box or papers with the revolver, yet he is potentially looking to sell it. My guess based on what I have found is that it is a Colt Navy; it is a double action with swing out cylinder. The serial number is on the cylinder latch, and on the frame. There are no papers, boxes, or Colt official letters accompanying it. I will try to get pics if I can get to his house later this week. Any thoughts on this revolver, or knowledge I can share with him would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Senior Member mike hudson is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    these guns didn't have any letters in the serial numbers. if your "b" is actually an 8, the gun was made in 1897. if it is a 3 it was made in 1895. assuming it works, value should be around $250-$350. i love the new army & navy series of revolvers, especially in .41 caliber. if you don't reload, ammo is pricey, but it's a much more effective number than the .38 long colt that the majority of these were manufactured in. colt turned out 291,000 of these 1892 and 1907.

Senior Member COLTDAGUY will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tln1313 View Post
    Thought I might find a little help here on this revolver. My friend has one that is in decent (75%) shape with serial # of B9417. There is no box or papers with the revolver, yet he is potentially looking to sell it. My guess based on what I have found is that it is a Colt Navy; it is a double action with swing out cylinder. The serial number is on the cylinder latch, and on the frame. There are no papers, boxes, or Colt official letters accompanying it. I will try to get pics if I can get to his house later this week. Any thoughts on this revolver, or knowledge I can share with him would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!!!
    Hi,

There should not be any of the New Army and Navy Model 1892 or 1895 revolvers in the 39xxx serial number range. Colt stopped the serial numbers about 20,xxx on the 1892 model and did not begin again until the 60,xxx serial number range on the Model 1895 New Army and Navy Models.

The Model 1889 New Navy revolvers only went to the 34,xxx serial number range.

Check the butt of your gun. The serial number should be stamped there. Numbers on the frame in the crane cutout area are assembly numbers in the Model 1889 and Model 1892 and 1895 series guns. The assembly number was a number between 1 and 9999 used to keep major parts groups together. When the numbers reached 9999 Colt started them over again. There could be a "B" near the assembly number in the crane cutout area of the frame. It would be an inspector's marking. Check the butt for the serial number.

Bob

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Red face

thanks bob...i should'a known better.

Junior Member tln1313 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the help!

Thank you for the responses. I appreciate the help.I will look at the butt and get the serial number over the weekend. At $250, he will probably keep it, I suspect. He thought he may have something worth more to a collector...

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    the .41 lc is my favorite medium pistol round. it is capable of far better accuracy than most believe, and in standard loadings, beats the hell out of the 158-gr. lrn .38 special for self defense.

two of the great mysteries of life are why no new guns have been chambered for it since 1930, and why no new commercial .41 ammo has been made since the 1970s since there a lots of perfectly good guns still in existence that are chambered for it.

Senior Member therevjay is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I'm not a reloader so I can't say for sure. But from what I've read the .41 rd. which is really .389 or so w/a hollow base doesen't work well with modern smokeless powder.

I have a .41 Army spl. and do know most of my rds. are keyholeing at 7 yds. Whether this is because they are not 'bumping up' to fit the bore, because of the fact smokeless just doesen't do this as well as BP. Or because the bullets in the ammo I have ( Old Western scrounger) are made of too hard a alloy, I don't know.

But it has to be one or the other. I know for sure the Bbl. isn't 'shot out'.
    "I have no respect for a man who can spell a word only one way"...........Mark Twain

Senior Member bmcgilvray is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    418 times
    I stuck my toe in the water recently with a New Navy in .41 Long Colt and was richly rewarded with fine accuracy. I'm going to handload for the round to see what I can accomplish with it. It is a good old cartridge that should have retained its popularity longer.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    using old cartridges made by western in the 1970s and remington in the 1950s in my 1897 new navy, offhand, 3" groups at 15 yards are common. it's not a target or hunting round for sure, but it's acceptable in my view for defensive use. and according to elmer keith, it had a good reputation as a manstopper in its day.

colt made 91 flat top target single action armys in .41 lc and another 24 flat top bisleys. in 1908, the palma pistol matches were won by a guy using a .41. overall, it was the fourth most popular chambering for the first generation single action army.

Senior Member cagunsmith is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    The .41 colt is a lot of fun to shoot-but the hollow base bullet works best with a FAST burning powder. Try 20 grains FFFG BP or 3.5 grains of Bullseye . The last load was listed by Phil Sharp in "The Complete guide to Handloading". It's a great book. Both loads shoot good, but the smokeless load is cleaner of course.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads