+ Reply to Thread
    Supporting Member eccollision is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    36 times

python cylinder replacement

i purchased a 4 inch python with damage to the cylinder i have a new cylinder i was wondering if i need special tools to take the cyclinder off

Senior Member RB67 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    47 times

Depends

I recently had my cylinder off but the ejection rod is actually installed in the crane and you do need a special tool to remove that. I'm not much good to you beyond that. Good luck, more will chime in.

ETA: What kind of damage?

Member colt_crazy_in_ky is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eccollision View Post
    i purchased a 4 inch python with damage to the cylinder i have a new cylinder i was wondering if i need special tools to take the cyclinder off
    what was wrong with the orginal? their is alot of work when changing the cylinder! lots of fitting, dosent just fall in! you got to re time the gun

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    36 times

python cyclinder

it is dinged& chipped i understand it may need to be fitted but why would it need to be timed is this something i can handle or does a gunsmith need to handle it thanks

Supporting Member Colt75 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    325 times
    Unless you are darn good, it needs to be re-timed by a qualified gunsmith. I would let a qualified gunsmith handle the fitting and timing. JMHO.

A1A
    The Searcher A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    First, there were old style and new style ejector assemblies. The old style has a one-piece ejector rod and requires tools to remove the ejector star and the crane bushing. The good part about that is that the old ejector star and rod can be reused as the rotational alignment of the star with the spline on the rod can be tweaked. The new style two-piece rod does not require particularly special tools to disassemble. The bad part is that the ejector star and spline are a factory aligned assembly with the cylinder, so a replacement cylinder would most likely not align with the ejector. In either case, replacing the cylinder does not especially affect the timing, except to the extent that a new ejector star as part of a new assembly might alter it a little. Timing is mostly a matter of rebound lever, bolt and hand fitting. However, a cylinder does have to be fitted such that the head space and barrel/cylinder clearance are correct with the included requirement for no endshake. This requires special tooling and could even require requalifying the barrel; that is, removing, turning down the collar and reinstalling. In other words, it is a job for a correctly tooled and experienced Colt gunsmith, like Colt for example. This also presumes that your new cylinder is new. If it is used, it may not be able to be fitted at all.

It could be less expensive to have Colt just refinish the cylinder. There are a couple of somewhat recent threads about that.

IN nEED of a Python Cylinder !
    Last edited by A1A; 06-25-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    36 times

python cylinder

thank you very much i will call colt i have a brand new cylinder no turn line never been used i will see if it would make more sence to reblue it and just sell the new cylinder it is the newer style i would love to have it installed

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads