+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Senior Member capstan is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    315 times
    Quote Originally Posted by A1A View Post
    That is an oft quoted number. It brought to mind previous mentions of the terms rare and scarce. Here is one.

Colt Trooper Mk III - .22 mag

A1A, I think I saw it in the Colt book of firearms Its the book with all the color pictures. I can check tonight but Im preet sure that is where it is.
    After reading the above thread, I should probably say Scarce nsted of rare. 15000 is alot more than 200.
    But based on forexample,the number of pythons made vs. 357's, you might think that the 357 would bring more $ than it does.
    Might be that the 357 has that Old-fashioned look and not the sleek, lustrous look of the python. Could be people just dont thnik the 357 is very good looking.

Some people might not want a Bisley(spl?) or a camp perry,or say a Dan wesson just because they dont like their look. I admit I dont much like the looks of those either. The 357and the OMM kinda grow on you though-they have the ??? Classic Look I guess

A1A
    The Searcher A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light

Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    I think you are correct about one source of the number. I think you are also correct about Python mania. IMO it is every bit the revolver except for the bling. The Model 357 was very overlooked for a long time and, although the pricing has moved up with everything else, they still don't command the widespread demand. Colt either doesn't have production numbers at least for every model (very possible) or is unwilling to share them publicly (likely even if they had them). The semantics of rare and scarce is a matter of opinion, but the previous mention just came to mind so I thought I would share.

Senior Member capstan is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    315 times
    Farmboy and A1A update: The books that show the 15,000 number are: Book of Colt Firearms 3rd edition by R L Wilson and Catalouge of Colt Firearms by Rick Sapp. Contrast that with OVER 120,000 (per RL Wilson book) Pythons.
    Who knows, maybe in a few years the .357 will command BIG BUCKS,maybe even more than the Python.
    I kinda doubt it though. The Python has alot of momentum and it's hard to beat the beautiful bluing on a pristine Python.

Senior Member boykin is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    It could be worse.
    Last edited by boykin; 08-08-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Member Farmboy is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I bought it for $525.00 and it is very nice...

compared to the one you just showed on gunbroker , mine is beautiful. I am pleased and want to thank you all for your comments as it helped me with my decision. My wife is going to get me a camera soon and hopefully I can post some pictures of it. I will be shooting it tomorrow.

Supporting Member Hopalong is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1585 times
    I would say you got a heck of a good deal!

Supporting Member smkummer is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    208 times

couple of suggestions

I have several Colt 38/357 handguns. Start out with 38 specials, either standard or plus P. They are very comfortable in the medium frame Colt. If you laod your own ammo, a few of us shooting buddies have settled on a .357 lead bulet load going out at 1100 FPS That is controlable for a .357 with just a trace of leading that is easy to clean out. It will have some noted recoil out of your 4 in. gun. For making the Colt grip frame fit your hand, just use the discontinued pachmayr grip adapters that I believe are still avaiable from Numrich for about $10. They come in small, medium and large and allow the use of your original stocks. If you hand is already large, the Colt grip frame may fit you just fine as is.

Senior Member manderson is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    21 times

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by capstan View Post
    Could be people just dont thnik the 357 is very good looking.
    I posted a photo of my nickel Model 357 on the S&W forum once, and one guy said it was the most "butt ugly" gun he had ever seen. I still laugh about that. The nickel Model 357 seems to one of the most rare Colt DA's from my observation. I don't think anyone knows how many were made.

Member HornD is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I will fess up to paying just over 600 for one last year. It has a bit of wear on the barrel edge but perect bluing otherwise, the only other issue was some minor wear on the original grips. 1961 as well. Yours sounds like it would be at least 550.
    What a great gun. Keep it!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads