+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member kennedy is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

collecting colts as an investment

I know someone will say "you don`t buy guns for investment, they were made to be shot" well like collecting coins or stamps I think collecting quality(98% or better)firearms is just as good an investment, and far more fun than stocks(ever fondled a stock certificate? not nearly as much fun as fondling a python). Anyway, in the next 5 years what colts do you think will appreciate the most in value? I am also collecting older winchester and remington .22 rifles for investment, all to be sold in the next 5 to 10 years to finance my early retirement.

Senior Member GUNKWAZY is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    307 times

Re: collecting colts as an investment

Well Kennedy,
    that same subject is the exact reason the Classic/Muscle car market took off like it did.
    Those same thoughts came to people that thought driving an investment versus seeing some numbers on paper would be much more fun.
    Classic cars have tripled & quadrupled in the past few years. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    Now, if your crystal ball will tell (only) the members of this board what guns will blast off within the next 5 years, I'll be happy to buy the drinks next time we all get together. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Junior Member PaulD is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I think collecting Colts should be first an investment in personal and intellectual rewards. I got into it purely for the history and contribution to firearms that Colts have given. That is where the 'money' is for me. Making great monetary gains is cool, but unlikely. You probably have a better chance of doubling the value of a index stock fund in 10 years than a handful of Colts (also probably have an easier time selling the fund also...no ATF!) I hate to sound like a doubting Thomas but if you want to invest real money in preparation for something important as your retirement fund...I would take the odds on favorite but boring stock market. If not, buy dem Colts like crazy!

Senior Member manderson is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    18 times

I think older Colts in really good condition will increase in value and I do view my purchases considering them a good investment. But I have no notion of ever selling them off. (Parish the thought!) When I am ninety, I still want to be fondling my 99+% 1963 4" blue Python. What a wonderful feeling. I hope I can find someone to pass them on to that will keep them and cherish them as they should be.

These are Colt lovers here and I don't think you will find many who will subscribe to the idea of using them for long or short term monetary gain (no offense intended).

Senior Member Addicted is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Hello all, This is my first post. I'm very pleased to have such large interest in Revolvers.....13 were viewing Revolvers when I logged on. I am also most interested in revolvers.

I do collect Revolvers and have been for only 4 years. A Colt guru took me under his wing for a couple of years and I learned so much from him. Now I'm on my own but he's there if I ever need him. The collecting community is always available to help the newbies. We were all there at one time.

I started out making mistakes. My first purchase was a 1959 Nickel Python. I was hoping for factory nickel and by the looks of the finish it appeared to pass for factory. Imagine a "possible" earliest known Python in Nickel knowing that they weren't cataloged until 1962. The factory letter came back with a blued finish. The nickel cleaned up very well and it looked awesome. It had the factory stocks and they were mint. I don't want any fakes laying around so I sold it for a 100% profit. I don't buy and sell for profit but the fake had to go.

My next mistake was a purchase of a 3" Python. It also turned out to be a fake. I was told that I would never recoup my money but I did and made a $100.

I guess there is always an unsuspecting fool (like I was) to unload the mistakes. To some people (non collectors) it doesn't matter if it's a fake or not.

I've learned a lot since and I now finding myself purging guns that no longer fit my "collecting mission statement". My last purchase that I am very excited about is a Shooting Master in a 45LC purchased for $1600. He also had one in a .357 mag for $1300. It wasn't a great deal plus I was gun poor with the purchase of the 45LC.

I'm now working on purchasing a prototype Detective Special in Nickel. Deals like this take a lot of time and patience. I just missed out on a very rare if no one-of-a-kind 1938 Officers Model in a Single Action with custom leather felt lined holster and it did letter as authentic. Oh well, you win some and lose some. Who knows what these guns are actually worth. The buyer and seller must come to an agreement.

A Courier is a great start if you’re on a budget. I wouldn't say it'd appreciate fastest in value but for the price and only 3000 produced it's a great start. I have found that there are errors including the "book of colt firearms". Look at the expired auctions and all you ever see is .22's for sale. Seldom do you see a .32NP for sale. I have 2 .32NP's. One with a steel cylinder and one with an alloy cylinder.

In closing, Do a lot of research either on line or and you must purchase the "Book of Colt Firearms" by Wilson/Sutherland. Good luck and enjoy the search. I get such a rush when I locate the "right" gun. BTW: I spend at least 1 hour daily searching firearms for sale. Only one is catch my eye currently. A Colt pump shotgun (only 2000 produced) in excellent condition for $239. This is a great price for a low production.

Later,

Addicted
    Treasure hunting rare and one-of-a-kind Colt revolvers.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

[ QUOTE ]
    I think older Colts in really good condition will increase in value and I do view my purchases considering them a good investment. But I have no notion of ever selling them off. (Parish the thought!) When I am ninety, I still want to be fondling my 99+% 1963 4" blue Python. What a wonderful feeling. I hope I can find someone to pass them on to that will keep them and cherish them as they should be.

These are Colt lovers here and I don't think you will find many who will subscribe to the idea of using them for long or short term monetary gain (no offense intended).

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen Bro, Buy and hold. I may sell in 30-40 years or hand them down to my family if they have the same care and passion as I do.

Senior Member Majic is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

In 5 to 10 years most any Colt will give you a return for your investment, but probably not enough for any kind of retirement unless something drastic happens (even then only a few models may be affected). Investing for retirement is something that should have been started 20 to 30 years ago to be able to reap large rewards. Only a few models have drastically jumped in price.
    Most of us collect/accumulate/amass our assortment of Colts (and other brands) for personal enjoyment. Now when I old and decrepit and funds run low I could probably turn a quick buck to tide me thru, but hopefully I will be able to leave everything to my youngest son. He keeps inventory every so often to make sure nothing slips by him. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Senior Member 22-rimfire is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    21 times

Addicted: Nice to see some new faces on the board. You have a great little collection. I would probably be best described as an accumulator versus a true collector. Ocasionally, I have lapes and start to think I'm a collector. Then, I see what other folks have already and I have a long long way to go.

I hope my colt "collection" appreciates. Frankly, other than a few models, I believe you are better with mutual funds if money is your goal.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

22 rim: Mutual funds can go down in value. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Your will never loose on the 'right' Colt.

What I posted was a partial. I hope to post the addiction in one photo in a couple of days.

Financially, the boxed Bankers Special was a hard cookie to swallow. At the last Tulse gun show there were only .38's, the buyers were looking for .22LR's

BTW: I admire those .22LR (and .22 mag) revolvers. Few were built (in some models) due to the lightweight caliber. Back in the day, most buyers went for the .38

Senior Member 22-rimfire is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    21 times

I collect almost exclusively 22 revolvers these days. Yep, I have a nice Bankers too and several Couriers! Every now and then, I have an urge to pick up something else. History has shown that I eventually sell everything other than the 22's.

With limited funds, you have to focus on what you like the best.

Yes on the mutual funds.... you know what they say.... history shows an average 10-12% growth.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads