+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Junior Member whitehall is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Research a Colt Ser# without paying Colt?

What if you didn't need a fancy letter signed by a Colt official. Is it possible to research Colt Serial numbers on line or are we stuck paying hundreds of dollars for research on a $50 dollar gun.

Senior Member 22-rimfire is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    30 times

Re: Research a Colt Ser# without paying Colt?

Not many Colts are valued at $50 these days. But to answer your question, the serial number reference listing in the book, Colt An American Legend is considered by Colt as the authoratative reference until 1985. I'm at work, so am doing this from memory. You can call Colt customer service to get a date of manufacture on any gun, but that is the only information they will provide for free. Most of us use the above book as our primary reference for dating colts by serial numbers.

Senior Member Addicted is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Sir, If you're looking for documented evidence there is only one way your going to get it and that's through a Colt letter.

What research information are you looking for? You can learn a lot from this forum and GB's forums. Try that first before you plunk down your money. You may be satisfied in the results.

I'm not a believer in the Colt letter UNLESS it's rare (say a variation that is less than 100), one-of-a-kind or a prototype. The item MUST letter before the purchase. I cannot take the risk of purchasing a fake.
    Treasure hunting rare and one-of-a-kind Colt revolvers.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I figured that guys. I have a date of manufacture little handbook. What I was getting at is I did pay about $50.00 for my Colt New Police a few years ago at a Va Gun Show. The seller was a ammo dealer who just wanted to get rid of a few old revolvers. I was aware that the New Police was not a shooter and would never be because there was a split in the barrel at the forcing cone. It is not noticible unless you open the cylinder and I considered re-barreling it and still am. What I wanted to know is what Police Dept the Colt was shipped to and that way I might be able to trace it's story. What do you think about re-barreling. The action works fine.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Just because the model is "new police" does not mean that the gun was sent from the factor to a police department. The barrels blow out for one reason. The end of the barrel was pluged upon firing the gun. Only a idiot that knows nothing about firearms (not a police officer) would have done something like this.

It's doubtful that your gun has any history but who knows. A Colt letter has limited information and would most likely be a waste of money.

Just my .02

You need to ask your re-barrel question on the "colt-smithing" forum.

Addict

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I apologize for mixing up the forums. I guess I neglected to add that my New Police has a stamped 4 digit number on the butt which almost certainly indicates a non-civilian inventory..

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

We all know that Colt Firearms Co. today isn't the legend it once was. This is illustrated by the chapter 11 in 1992. The Colt records are a priceless record of the legacy of the United States and I hope efforts are made to copy the record system and make it avalible to the general public. Don't you agree?

Senior Member lonewolf is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Addicted,if you read whitehall's post carefully,you will see that the barrel is NOT blown out,as by a plugged barrel,but has a split forcing cone,which can be caused by a number of factors(cylinder/cone out of align,excessive size bullet etc.

Whitehall; your best bet is going to be to find a "Police Positive".32 bbl. on one of the on line auctions. Just a guess,but most N.Polices had 4" bbls. the most common length on P.P's also. Other option,is to find a really skilled gunsmith to remove bbl. and weld up the crack and recut the cone,and reinstall. Since you won't be firing "magnum level" loads,IF done correctly,this should work-but it can be "pricey",probably as much as a used bbl. and installing it!

One vital thing?? Have you determined WHAT .32 cartridge your transition New Police fires?? It most likely is the .32 S&W Long-called by Colt, ".32 New Police". The earliest New Polices,took the ".32 Long Colt",both inside and outside lubricated. .32 S&W Longs are TOO "fat" to fit in one of these cylinders.Probably,by 1907,ALL .32's were for the .32 S&W Long(.32 Colt New Police)-but never say never. My "guess" is that the "wrong ammo" got in your gun,like .32 auto(which will fit) and the jacketed bullet,comboned with a little "out of time",could have cracked the cone.

I agree about the numbers on the butt NOT being proof of P.Dept use,but could well be a plant guard' [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]s gun,or some other agency,or company-but should have initials.

Have you checked on the backside of the stocks to see if the serial number is scratched into one of them;this was a standard Colt practice for decades.

BTW,before I got rid of most of my smaller framed Colts,I had a .32 Colt N. Police Target in the .32 S&W long. A very nice little gun,but just too muzzle light for me,as was a fixed sighted N.Police in the old .32 Long Colt. Fixed sights were hard to see,but with good cast hollow based bullets,it was surprisingly accurate with very mild handloads.

Good Luck, Bud

*** ColtForum MVP *** dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all

Member #
    Liked
    1627 times

The three best sources of production dates are:
    The book "Colt: An American Legend" by R.L. Wilson. Which, as above, has data up to 1985.
    Wilson also publishes a "gun show booklet" with data to 1978.

The Colt factory will give you a production date over the phone, but NO other info.

The only online source I know of is:
    http://proofhouse.com/colt/

Which also stops with 1978.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

[ QUOTE ]
    Addicted,if you read whitehall's post carefully,you will see that the barrel is NOT blown out,as by a plugged barrel,but has a split forcing cone,which can be caused by a number of factors(cylinder/cone out of align,excessive size bullet etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooops, That's what happens when I read/type and drink at the same time. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads