+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CSM
    Senior Member CSM is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    22 times

Shooting 45 ACP in SAA?

I shoot mostly 45 ACP in my semi-auto's - and 45 Colt in my SAA's - I am wondering what is the advantage - other than economics - of shooting 45 ACP in your SAA's, for those of you that do it..? Thanks.. Gary
    Enjoy the ride - no-one gets out alive!

Senior Member Kid Sopris will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    1014 times
    You mean besides the cost of a 45ACP Cylinder for the SAA?

CSM

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Exactly - I've seen several people go to the time and expense of having a 45 ACP cyl fit to their 45 Colt SAA - and I'm just wondering what the draw to do it is... Again - other than ammo cost - 45 ACP is cheaper than 45 Long Colt - just wondering 'why' they like to shoot it??

Senior Member Crossfire is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    I shoot .45 Colt because I can reload it cheaper than I can buy just about anything else except .38spl. My M1As and NATO rifles are all safe queens now because 7.62 NATO is too expensive to balst thru. If it was not for .45 Colt and 45-70gvt I'd be shooting .22lr all the time.

CSM

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Crossfire - Are you talking about shooting/reloading 45 Colt or 45 ACP? I want to know why some go to the time, trouble & expense of buying/fitting a 45 ACP cyl to a SAA. Is there a particular reason for wanting to "shoot" this cartridge in a SAA other than maybe cost & availability of brass and/or factory ammo depending on whether you reload or not..

Senior Member Crossfire is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Sorry, I got in the habit of saying .45 Colt for the old BP rimmed cartridge and .45 ACP for the modern rimless. I load .45 Colt for a number of reasons, from being able to make up low power plinking loads that are cheap to having some hot loads in the .44 Mag range for hunting. The really hot stuff is pretty much Ruger only.
    It's also a really easy round to work with.

Supporting Member smkummer is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    206 times

I have a duel cyl. Colt NF 45

Since I am a reloader, I seldom ever use the ACP cylinder in the Colt New Frontier. I had Colt make me this cylinder 20 some years ago. Its nice to have, but again, its seldom ever used. For what its worth, both the 250 grain 45 Colt and the 230 grain 45 ACP shoot close enough that I don't need to adjust the sight at the 25 yard range.

Senior Member rep1954 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I shoot outdoors and indoors. When I shoot outdoors I shoot handloads but at the indoor range I shoot at thier policy is all brass cased factory ammo only. They say it is for insurance purpose but I'm sure it is also to help pay for that insurance. I shoot indoors once a week and my 45 Colts see a 45ACP cylinder when I do. Where I live factory 45 Colt ammo is just crazy for price. There is a $15.00 to $17.00 price difference per box of fifty. Both of my 45ACP cylinders have proper cylinder mouth diameters for factory standard ammo and shoot as good as any of my 45 Colt loads or better. I also load for a 1911 in 45ACP and find that my handloads prove to shoot about the same. It is a different recoil feeling shooting the ACP over the Colt altough that might be in my head but the 45 Colt seems to be quieter and smoother than the ACP in the same gun. I would think if one is a shooter and a fan of the 45ACP that they would find the 45ACP useful and fun.

CSM

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Thanks for the detailed answer guys... That's exactly the info I was looking for.. There definitely is a price advantage in this area of about $15 a box for the ACP carts.. I was most curious about the differences at the range and you've answered that question.. I shoot mostly 45 cal both in semi-auto and my SAA's and don't have the time for reloading at this point so it may be worth it to me..

Senior Member Chuck Would is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    One other thing to think about - if you re-load.

A lot of CAS shooters look to reduce the recoil of the .45 Colt round by reducing the powder load in that big old BP designed case but that is not without problems. Incomplete ignition, double charges Et al.

By switching to .45 ACP as the cartridge of choice you can reduce the powder charge in the much smaller case with less issues.

There is a Pard from NY who is selling what he calls the .45 Special Case. It's rimmed with very similar ACP dimentions. This is not cut down .45 Colt brass but new manufacture Starline brass stamped .45 Special.

Hope that helps,

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads