+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Junior Member oldordie is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Colt SAA "SASS" Special Order Values

I have picked up a Colt SAA in an estate auction that came from the Custom Shop. It was evidently a SASS special order pistol with a SASS serial number and owners name engraved on the back strap. It's a 4 3/4 38-40, nickle finish with buffalo horn grips. It has been fired, however looks new and in original box with papers. I have been told that Colt will polish and refinish the back strap to take off the name. It's a very nice piece but not what I'm looking for in my collection. Any ideas on value?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Pictures of SAA 38-40 SASS special order

Senior Member Kid Sopris will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    1234 times
    Treat it like any other used Colt SAA. The gun may or may not be wanted by a SASS Member, if you were to make some announcement. Unfortunately ONLY SASS Members may advertise in the SASS Classifieds. Depending on the Alias, and how many people knew him, may keep the interest high. However I checked the SASS number with Piney Woods Place, (a Known list of SASS Alias and Numbers) with negative results.

Senior Member cubrock is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    Unless the SASS member who owned it has some modicum of fame, I wouldn't expect the gun to carry any kind of premium. In fact, my experience is that guns like this will often sell for less than a straight factory production model because most people don't want someone else's name on their gun.

All that said, it looks nice. I like the buffalo horn with the nickel.

Junior Member HillbillyJim is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I hope when you decide to sell its listed on this site as many of us have a special fondness for 38-40's.
    I agree the SASS number does not add to value. I have never seen Colt's with the SASS number and name engraved from the factory in this location, not to say this is aftermarket. Just my limited exposure.
    I have my SASS name engraved on a couple of pistols and while I like them when my heirs go to sell it will lower the value.
    Last edited by HillbillyJim; 10-12-2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: poor typing

Senior Member cubrock is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    Yep - I'm one of those guys that likes the .38-40, and the .44-40, and the .32-20 (my favorite)!

Senior Member Chuck Would is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Sopris View Post
    I checked the SASS number with Piney Woods Place, (a Known list of SASS Alias and Numbers) with negative results.
    Kid, Did you take a look at the SASS home page? They have a list of SASS numbers and their owners. Piney's list is pretty good but it's not perfect as the owner of the alais has to submit it with his SASS number to Piney. SASS has a complete list.

I'm at work and can't get to the SASS Web page due to Sonic Wall.

Senior Member Kid Sopris will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    1234 times
    No I didn't check the SASS Page or Called SASS. Generally the SASS Page just lets you know if the SASS Alias is currently in use, not a number. The Original Poster didn't list the Name so I was just curious if I knew the SASS Member. With my Number of 3290 I have met and forgot a ton of folks.

Funny part about the SASS Colt's: History 101

That Original Agreement was negotiated with Colt by Retired Wild Bunch member "Dutch", who is also the Executive Director of the Happy Trails Children's Foundation.

The Agreement was for Guaranteed Price Structure for xx,xxx units. NO TIME LIMIT. However SASS had to advertise the dickens out of it and push the sales. SASS Was sold the guns at Distributor cost.

SASS could have made a fortune if they didn't get greedy and there would have been a ton of Colt SAA sold to SASS Members. Instead of SASS passing on the savings to the members, they jacked the price to full MSRP.

Sales were so slow it was pathetic. Ironically the President of the Wild Bunch, SASS's executive board, is none other than General Grant, aka Boyd Davis, President and CEO of EMF, See a conflict yet?

Finally General Key's of Colt got tired of SASS's response and position in relationship and canceled the contract, along with Colt's sponsorship of the World Championship, End of Trail. Coincidence? Maybe.

The SASS Colts were offered in 3 different levels and most places during this promotion were selling Colt SAA's for less money than what SASS was asking.

Now USFA and Ruger are offering SASS Guns, and at one time, Uberti was making SASS SA for EMF, but that was terminated as well.
    Last edited by Kid Sopris; 10-18-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Update on the 38-40

The Colt was a special order and the buffalo horn and engraved members name were done by Colt and listed on the box. "Jack Page" is the engraved name on the backstrap and I have not been able to locate him either. The gun is for sale on Gunbroker, as I have no need in my collection. Includes the box and all paperwork. It's listed at starting bid of $1100, no reserve.

Supporting Member smkummer is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    221 times
    I have a feeling people will be pricing this with the cost of sending it to Colt for the name removed.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links