+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member jamned is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

Model 1892 serial numbers

I have a model 1892 that has a four didgit serial number on the bottom of the grip. The thing is, it's also the same number on the back of the cylinder, cyl release, bottom of barrel, frame & crane. All the same four didgit number. I believe this gun is 1st year production, question is, did Colt use the serial number instead of production numbers on the 1st year guns? According to the BOOK, the number on the bottom of the grip was the serial #, all others were production numbers. Thanks for any input, Jim.

Senior Member COLTDAGUY will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jamned View Post
    I have a model 1892 that has a four didgit serial number on the bottom of the grip. The thing is, it's also the same number on the back of the cylinder, cyl release, bottom of barrel, frame & crane. All the same four didgit number. I believe this gun is 1st year production, question is, did Colt use the serial number instead of production numbers on the 1st year guns? According to the BOOK, the number on the bottom of the grip was the serial #, all others were production numbers. Thanks for any input, Jim.
    Hi Jim,

You would have to provide more information on the gun ... photos would be good to determine exactly what model gun you really have ... I don't know your expertise level so no offense meant here, but the Model 1889 New Navys both civilian and Navy contract guns had 4 digit serial numbers as did the two Army contracts for Model 1892 revolvers... Also there were many Army Contract and Navy contract guns that lost their serial numbers during the refurbishment process by both the Army and Colt and they simply put the assembly number on the butt of the revolver after the refinish... some of the military guns were redone as many as four different times that I have been able to verify... If you can describe the marking in detail and whether it has a lanyard ring or provision for one and maybe post some photos of the gun and give the serial number I can give you a better answer to your question ... Also, which "BOOK" were you referring to??? Mine or ???? There is a section in my book that discusses the refinished guns and their modified serial numbers....
    Hope that helps... Bob

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

1892 Colt

Here are some pics of the Colt. Marked on butt US Army Model 1892 No 7594. Same number everywhere else. Hope my pics can tell this. The book I refered to is Sutherland's History of Colt Firearms. Only one I have with this gun in it. If you can recommend other good books on DA Colts, I would appreciate it. Have been collecting 1911's since 1968, but I like Colt & S&W target guns. Have not ventured to far into the Military stuff. Bought this book new in 1972, 1st ed. Just curious as to what I have with this gun. I don;t think is has ever been refinished, or rebuilt. RAC (Renaldo A. Carr) inspection marks on bottom of grips, frame above left grip, bottom of barrel (also a "P" in front of serial #), back of cyl has an RAC & P as well as serial #. Cyl release has a K in front of 7594. Barrel is marked COLT. D.A. 38. Patent dates on top of barrel end with November 6th 1888. My guess is that Colt used the serial # as production numbers on the earlier 3 & 4 didgit numbers. Just makes sense to me, but may be over simplifying. Thanks in advance, Jim.

Last edited by jamned; 11-07-2010 at 06:22 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    Here are some pics of the Colt. Marked on butt US Army Model 1892 No 7594. Same number everywhere else. Hope my pics can tell this. The book I refered to is Sutherland's History of Colt Firearms. Only one I have with this gun in it. If you can recommend other good books on DA Colts, I would appreciate it. Have been collecting 1911's since 1968, but I like Colt & S&W target guns. Have not ventured to far into the Military stuff. Bought this book new in 1972, 1st ed. Just curious as to what I have with this gun. I don;t think is has ever been refinished, or rebuilt. RAC (Renaldo A. Carr) inspection marks on bottom of grips, frame above left grip, bottom of barrel (also a "P" in front of serial #), back of cyl has an RAC & P as well as serial #. Cyl release has a K in front of 7594. Barrel is marked COLT. D.A. 38. Patent dates on top of barrel end with November 6th 1888. My guess is that Colt used the serial # as production numbers on the earlier 3 & 4 didgit numbers. Just makes sense to me, but may be over simplifying. Thanks in advance, Jim.

Well Jim, I would say that you really found a goody there... From what I can tell from the photos you posted that is an ORIGINAL UNALTERED Model 1892 revolver! :-)

Of the 8000 Model 1892 revolvers in the two Army Contracts for that model, a few hundred guns escaped being upgraded to Model 1894 by colt and the US Army. The upgrade consisted of the addition of the cylinder locking mechanism which is identified by the end of the screw protruding thru the frame just under the cylinder latch. Of the 7500+ guns that were modified by Colt and the Army, The ones done by Colt had the Model changed on the butt to "1894". The ones done by Springfield did not change the model marking on the butt from the original "1892" they just added the upgrade. Ken moore and I spent many hours going thru National Archive records to see if we could determine exactly how many Model 1892 revolvers escaped conversion ... There were only a few hundred that were unaccounted for. Most likely your gun was issued to the California State Militia or Washington.

Your gun doesn't seem have that screw visible from what I can tell in the photo so it appeares that you have one of the 400 or so guns that escaped conversion to Model 1894 specs. Of these four hundred guns that have escaped conversion only about a dozen examples are know in collections today. I have an unconverted examples from each of the two contracts in my collection and I know of less than a dozen other unconverted guns out there...

This is really a major find! Based on your gun being UNALTERED, as your gun sits it is probably worth in the $4K to $5K range at auction to a dedicated collector of the DA Army and Navy revolvers... The economy may have depressed this value some but you have a very rare and desirable gun there ... Congratulations on the GREAT FIND! :-) Bob

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

1892 colt

Bob, that is very enlightening, & WOW on that value estimate. Not a bad trade for a Ruger 40 cal pistol. I have owned this gun for over a year, just always thought it was different, but didn't know how special.

The left grip has a cartouche, but hard to read. Can you tell me the initials of the inspector that would have done these? Thanks again, Jim.

Senior Member mike hudson is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    congratuations! always nice to hear a success story.

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    Bob, that is very enlightening, & WOW on that value estimate. Not a bad trade for a Ruger 40 cal pistol. I have owned this gun for over a year, just always thought it was different, but didn't know how special.

The left grip has a cartouche, but hard to read. Can you tell me the initials of the inspector that would have done these? Thanks again, Jim.
    Hi Jim,

The cartouche initials are DMT for Captain David M Taylor. There should be "1893" over the initials ... your gun is from the second contract of 3000 guns ... the first contract was for 5000 guns... That was a good trade you made! :-)

Enjoy your weekend!
    Bob

Senior Member haggis is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    251 times
    Bob is a modest guy, and I can understand his reluctance to promote his own book. I have no such compunctions, and I think it is the bible for early Colt DA's. The title is "A Study of Colt's New Army and Navy Pattern Double Action Revolvers, 1889 to 1908", and it's author is Bob Best. It is an exceptionally good read, even for those of us who do not specialize in these early guns.

Buck

Supporting Member thecoltguy is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2643 times
    Quote Originally Posted by haggis View Post
    bob is a modest guy, and i can understand his reluctance to promote his own book. I have no such compunctions, and i think it is the bible for early colt da's. The title is "a study of colt's new army and navy pattern double action revolvers, 1889 to 1908", and it's author is bob best. It is an exceptionally good read, even for those of us who do not specialize in these early guns.

Buck
    ditto!

Senior Member Rick is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    115 times
    Did a large number of the guns in the 7xxx range end up with the NYC police dept?

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads