+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member TheTinMan is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Officers Model 38 Confusion

A very nice revolver followed me home on Saturday. I thought that I had bought an Officers Model target pistol. It looks virtually identical to my buddy's .22 Officers target model. However, I'm finding conflicting information about what it is and when it was made.

"Officers Model 38" and
    "Heavy Barrel" on the left side of the barrel

"COLT'S PTFA MFG CO HARTFORD, CT U.S.A." and
    "PAT'D AUG. 5, 1884, JULY 4, 1905, OCT. 5 1926"
    on top of the barrel

s/n 6210xx

A nice guy on The Firing Line forum dated it 1937. Proofhouse.com shows that serial number range in 1937 under "Official Police & Marshal".

However, when I called Colt this morning the woman told me it was a "Police Positive Special" built in 1952. She had no explanation for the markings on the barrel. Note - this was NOT the Colt Archives folks. They're both out of the office this week.

If someone can shed some light on what this revolver is, I'd greatly appreciate it. I can tell you that it's got the best trigger I ever touched and the lockup is tighter than any revolver I've ever handled. Here's what it looks like:

And here's my little family of Colts just for fun:

Senior Member JohnnyB is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    It's an Officers Model made in 1937. These are some of the finest and most accurate revolvers ever made and I know that you will really enjoy shooting it.

Member ButchG17 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Yup.

It's certainly not a Police Positive Special, they were on the smaller frame:

Whoever you talked to musta looked on the wrong list.

Your OM is made on the Official Police sized frame.

Last edited by ButchG17; 12-06-2010 at 08:10 PM.

Senior Member TheTinMan is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Guys - thank you very much!

BTW this is the Revolver forum, but my grandfather carried that 1903 pistol while patrolling the Maine coastline during WWII. I just couldn't leave it out of the family photo!
    Last edited by TheTinMan; 12-06-2010 at 09:17 PM.

A1A
    The Searcher A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light

Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTinMan View Post
    s/n 6210xx

A nice guy on The Firing Line forum dated it 1937. Proofhouse.com shows that serial number range in 1937 under "Official Police & Marshal".

However, when I called Colt this morning the woman told me it was a "Police Positive Special" built in 1952. She had no explanation for the markings on the barrel. Note - this was NOT the Colt Archives folks. They're both out of the office this week.
    1937 is indeed correct. Prior to 1949 the Officers Models were numbered with the "base" model of the day, the New Army/Navy, the Army Special and the Official Police. The Officers Model Special (1949-1952) was numbered uniquely and the Officers Model Match (1953-1969) was numbered with Troopers. Obviously the substitute person was not familiar with the numbering foibles as is the case with many current Colt employees. Employees are not necessarily aficionados.

Supporting Member JudgeColt will become famous soon enough JudgeColt will become famous soon enough
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1100 times
    This incorrect response from the Colt employee is further evidence that the often-repeated response to "Call Colt" for such questions usually is not good advice. As we learned from a thread on the "first year" for the 4-inch Python, the Historian was relying on sales literature to determine the first year for the 4-inch Python and did not even have the brochure where the 4-inch Python was first mentioned so was off a year in reporting 1961 instead of 1960!

Such questions will be more accurately answered here than by Colt employees who have no first-hand knowledge.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads