Colt Forum banner

Colt Officers Model 38

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  robba 
#1 ·
Fjestad's Blue Book of Gun Values lists this revolver at about $600 at 95% condition.
Based on the activity on Gunbroker.com it would appear that the market for this particular model has collapsed; perhaps some of you knowledgeable and serious collectors can shed some light on the subject.
Thanks,
www.ordway@intergate.com.

#2 ·
First off there are a lot of different 'issues' of that model revolver. If your looking at a plain jane OM the pricing is probably correct. Remember the pricing in the pricing guide is backwards looking and it should only be used as a guide. The OM models are on my favorites listing due to the fact that they come in so many variations. I especially like the 5th and 6th issues.

If your looking for a collectable I'd go with a unusal variation of the OM.

Do you know the year or s/n (xx out the last 2 digits)? This would be helpful information. I look forward to your response.

I know....the usage of the word "issue" is a 'issue'. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#5 ·
The serial number is six digits and is the number I gave you.
The top of the barrel is marked COLT'S PTFA MFG CO HARTFORD CT USA pat'd Aug 5 1884 July 4 1905 Oct 5 1926.

The left side of the barrel is marked Officers Model 38,
second line reads Heavy Barrel.

I am sending a photo to your email address.

#6 ·
Hi Ordway,
Your Officer's Model 38 does fall within the production range for the first series Officers Model revolvers. They were officially produced from 1904 to 1930 (and probably later). The revolvers were numbered in the DA New and Navy series from 1904 to 1908. Then in the Army Special series from 1908 until about 1926 when the Official Police model took over from the Army Special. In 1930 Colt introduced the 22LR in this model and started the serial numbers back at 1. Your 640xxx was numbered in the Official Police series and was produced about 1940. I have one in that range that went to the BPC for England during the Battle of Britian. I also have one of the earliest Officer Model's in the 234xxx range from 1904. You will see many subtle machining differences in the earlier models. Earlier models bring high prices compared to the larter models. Hope that answers your question... Bob Best

#8 ·
You really have to pay attention and know what you are looking at when dealing with the old Colts. The Blue Book is just about worthless. I once got a very good deal on an OMT because the seller wasn't that up on the older Colts and was going by the Blue Book.

#10 ·
Had a chance today to buy a 2nd. issue 38 spl. heavy barrel OM in 95-98% for $375. It had been marked down from $450. Was this a good deal? I don't believe its going anywhere while I check it out. Has the wrong target grips with thumb rest. Are the right grips available?

Thanks much,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.