+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member 0132 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Colt Trooper vs. Colt Trooper .38 Special

I have two .38 special Troopers. One has wide target hammer, target stocks and barrel is marked Colt Trooper .38 special over .38 special ctg. According to Proof House, it was made 63-64. Rear sight has arrows on elevation and windage and there is a distinctive hump where the elevation adjustment is located.

The other Trooper is marked Colt Trooper over .38 special ctg. It was made 57-58 according to PH. The rear sights do NOT have any markings on them and there is NO hump where the elevation screw is located.

I would like to know more about the differences in the rear sights. BTW, the 57-58 Trooper has the hammer mounted firing pin while the newer one does not.

Thanks guys.

A1A
    The Searcher A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light

Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    It is simply the difference between an earlier style and later style of the same (Accro) sight. Here is one previous thread mentioning it wrt Pythons of the day as they and other adjustable sight models like the OMM all used the same sight. 1955 thru 1959 python Earlier sights also had a rounded front leaf.

As to the firing pins, the earlier (1953-1961) Trooper (38 Special and 22LR only) were E frames and the later (1961-1969) Trooper (357 and 38 Special only) were I frames. The firing pin configuration is the essential difference.

*** ColtForum MVP *** dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all

Member #
    Liked
    1797 times
    There were three versions of the Colt Accro rear sight.

The very early 1950's version had a rounded end on the front of the sight leaf with a corresponding rounded front on the sight cut in the frame.

Very soon after, Colt changed this rounded sight leaf to a squared off front to simplify production, the basic sight staying the same.

The last version Accro was really a different sight with the "humped" sight base and a more sophisticated elevation screw design.
    The raised "hump" design gave the later Accro more elevation adjustment and this allowed Colt to use it on all Colt pistols and revolvers.

The last "change" to the Accro was the addition of a white outline blade to go with the later red ramp front sights used on revolvers.

Junior Member 0132 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks

Once again, you guys have answered my questions. I really appreciate it. I did a search of the archives before asking but missed the pics you provided.

If you are still reading this thread, what is/are the best books regarding Colt double-action revolvers????? I'm primarily interested in stuff up to the 60's, i.e., exposed ejector rod. Sorry I don't have all the terminology down.

A1A
    The Searcher A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light

Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    If you mean overall reference, The Book of Colt Firearms by R.L. Wilson. The third edition is available from Blue Book Publishing and other book sources. One was offered in the classifieds recently.

If you mean maintenance and repair, The Colt Double Action Revolvers, A Shop Manual, Vol.I by Jerry Kuhnhausen available from Brownells, Midway and various booksellers. That was the source of the page image.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links