Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Python

Junior Member Fishbaja2 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Python

Hello All,
    I had the good fortune of finding/purchasing a 1961 blued Python recently and would love to find out about the engraving that is on most of the gun. The engraving in very interesting but would love to know if this is original, old or inbetween. The guns seems to have been shot very little and there are only a few marks on the bottom of the trigger guard. I took the grips off and found "INS" stamped into the lower portion of the frame but nothing else. Any/all help would be great. Sorry I was not able to rotate images.

!python 14.JPGpython 11.JPGpython 12.JPG

Supporting Member JudgeColt will become famous soon enough
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    886 times
    The engraving does not look like factory engraving to me. If the engraving is not "factory," it destroys the value of the gun in my opinion. That said, some people like any kind of engraving so much that they think it enhances the value. The market does not agree with them, but to each his own.

The "INS" stamp signifies that the gun has been INSpected.

Banned John Fugate is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    INS stamp = Immigration and Naturalization Service This may be a clue to the origin of the items delectable embellishments.

John

Senior Member GUNKWAZY is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    307 times
    You should find the INS stamp on all Python frames under the grips/stocks.
    As pointed out by the Judge, it's an INSpected marking/stamp.
    It's NOT a Immigration and Naturalization Service marking.

I agree also, that it is clearly not factory engraved.
    Being that the metal was left in the white after the engraving was done, make sure you keep that gun oiled.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)
    Last edited by GUNKWAZY; 07-27-2011 at 04:24 AM.

Supporting Member longranger is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    It is a shame the engraver took on more than than his abilities would allow.The engraver should have had the gun stripped to the "white" did a lot less coverage with designs that would show his best work,it's not this one,way over done for his abilities.Unfortunately the engraver "devalued the gun" and there is really no fix for it,I would shoot the heck out of it and try not to look to closely at the attempted engraving.
    I would study engraving to be able discern good engraving from not so good.It's not the worse engraving ever done but he/she did no favors to the collectability or value of this revolver.

Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNKWAZY View Post
    You should find the INS stamp on all Python frames under the grips/stocks.
    As pointed out by the Judge, it's an INSpected marking/stamp.
    It's NOT a Immigration and Naturalization Service marking.

I agree also, that it is clearly not factory engraved.
    Being that the metal was left in the white after the engraving was done, make sure you keep that gun oiled.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

I was being kidding about the Immigration and Naturalization stamp ,,, give me a little credit.
    Last edited by John Fugate; 07-27-2011 at 07:52 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    Quote Originally Posted by longranger View Post
    It is a shame the engraver took on more than than his abilities would allow.The engraver should have had the gun stripped to the "white" did a lot less coverage with designs that would show his best work,it's not this one,way over done for his abilities.Unfortunately the engraver "devalued the gun" and there is really no fix for it,I would shoot the heck out of it and try not to look to closely at the attempted engraving.
    I would study engraving to be able discern good engraving from not so good.It's not the worse engraving ever done but he/she did no favors to the collectability or value of this revolver.
    Its a shame when any hack lays their hands on a good Colt. But it happens everyday. The gun is still a good shooter but the collectability is now gone forever. The engraver looks to be have been a novice, but everyone has to learn. I have seen factory engraved guns that were less than stellar. This gun is obviously not factory engraved.

Junior Member Fishbaja2 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Python

U guys are awesome! I love the Immigration "INS" that is funny stuff. I too was worried about the engraving not being factory and was also worried about devaluing the pistol. Glad to have learned a bit about this gun that will now be a carry gun and not a safe queen. Glad I didn't have to give up to much for a snake truck gun. What would be an approximate value just to make me fell ok about amount paid.

I know very little about engraving and the comment about leaving it white means they normally have it blued after engraving???

Supporting Member longranger is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Yes, it would have been stripped of it's original finish and then engraved,sent back to Colt to refinish.This is one of the many reasons that "factory engraving" is preferred there will be no refinishing.The engraver will get the parts in the"white" then engrave then finished.You could send your revolver to Colt and have them refinish to fill in the "white" areas left.I think it would inprove the appearance.
    The engraver would have had better results had he/she stripped it then laid out his/her design.It is very difficult to lay out art work over a blued surface and see the lines to be cut.
    Last edited by longranger; 07-27-2011 at 09:00 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbaja2 View Post
    U guys are awesome! I love the Immigration "INS" that is funny stuff. I too was worried about the engraving not being factory and was also worried about devaluing the pistol. Glad to have learned a bit about this gun that will now be a carry gun and not a safe queen. Glad I didn't have to give up to much for a snake truck gun. What would be an approximate value just to make me fell ok about amount paid.

I know very little about engraving and the comment about leaving it white means they normally have it blued after engraving???
    The gun although aftermarket engraved and not a collector piece, it does have some eye apeal and will provide years of service. Your gun still has good value, I would say on the open market you would be able to get anywhere from 1000.00-1300.00 dollars for this gun. Better than most snake truck guns you will ever see.

John

Ads