Colt Forum banner

New Service revolvers with period Lawrence holster

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  guy sajer 
#1 ·
It's been quite a while since I posted anything here.Here's a photo of 2 New Service revolvers with a Lawrence model 16 flap holster.The holster is etched on the back by the owner "TEX AUG.6 1934".The snap,logo & everything else about this holster are consistent with that date.The top New Service is a model 1917 frame,marked on the butt, & is stamped serial number 178740 on the cylinder crane & the frame.The barrel is marked "NEW SERVICE 45 COLT";it chambers .45 ACP & .45 Auto Rim cartridges.It has been factory refinished & rebarreled;the barrel has the 2 line address & a last patent date of 1926.There is a small ampersand stamped above the rear trigger guard on the right side.All markings including the rampant Colt are sharp.The New Service with the stag grips is a Civilian model,serial number 335700.The barrel is marked "COLT MODEL 1917 .45 AUTO CTGE." & has the 2 line address w/ the last patent date of 1926.It was possibly one of the 500 revolvers shipped to Shapleigh Hardware Co. of St. Louis on July 28,1932 & is consistent in every way with published descriptions of this variant.I have the original grips as well as the period stag grips.
I collect vintage gun leather & pre- & post-war Colt double action revolvers.I have quite a few leather catalogs & an extensive collection of Heiser, A.H. Hardy,S.D. Myres,George Lawrence,Berns-Martin,A&F & many other makers' 20th Century holsters;I'm always happy to discuss vintage gun leather & Colts.Enjoy the photo.
Regards,
John Witty
turnerriver

[/image]

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.