Colt Forum banner

1893 Frontier Six Shooter SAA

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Old-Colts 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Thanks in advance for any insight....

I inherited some guns a few years ago, and have just recently taken them out of my safe for evaluation. I'm not looking to sell any necessarily, but I'm certainly curious about value and any other information I can getfrom those more knowledgable than myself.

One of the guns I inherited is a Colt SAA Frontier Six Shooter. I have a letter from Colt stating it shipped in 1893 to a hardware store in El Paso, which is more than likely where my ancestor purchased it, being from that part of the country. It's in 44-40 with a 4 5/8" barrel. The blueing is of course worn, however the gun is very solid and tight. The grips are original as near as I can tell. The barrel has some shallow pitting, but all in all very good. Attached are pictures. Any idea what it's worth?

Also, I inherited a Colt Woodsman circa 1939... I'll post a similar thread in the appropriate sub-forum.

Links to pics:

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi. I don't know for sure about value, but that is a very nice ANTIQUE SAA with some original finish left, in a desirable caliber and the most wanted barrel length. If it were mine I would like it at $3500-$4000. Perhaps someone who buys and sells comparable SAA's can be more precise. Great gun.

#3 ·
Evergreen
Welcome to the forum.
Congratulations on a nice old Colt. I'm not a collector, but the serial # & year of manufacture suggests it's a Black Powder gun not proofed for smokeless. If you do decide to shoot it, I'd only use Black Powder in it.
Thanks, I'm sure some way more knowlegeable than I will be along shortly.
Frank

#4 ·
A real beauty from the pictures. If it were me, I would:
- not shoot it.
- get a letter from Colt's to authenticate it.
- price will be determined by condition and information from Colt's.
But for starters, the minimum would be $3,000 and up depending on aforementioned information.

#7 ·
Being the desireable 44-40 and 4-3/4" barrel El Paso shipped and still some areas of blue on it certainly puts it in the $3500+ neighborhood from what I've seen changing hands at some gunshows recently.

#8 ·
Well if it was mine, I would insure it for $7,500.00 with a 10% rider increase every year. If the Gun was stolen or destroyed you would play hell getting a replacement and the Insurance company is going to want to discount it.

If you decided to sell it at some point, Start high you can always come down...If you are going to Auction it, put a good Reserve to protect the integrity of the gun and it's provenance.

#9 ·
The Single Action appears to be all original and the front sight hasn’t been filed. The hammer is the right style for that era of Single Action as are the grips and they appear to be original to the gun. Nice old Single Action in a very desirable configuration; just a good old gun!!

I agree with the $3500 neighborhood; and, the El Paso “Ship To” location will appeal to collectors that prefer guns shipped to western locations, especially a collector of Texas shipped guns; so, it should bring a little more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.