+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Junior Member hammerdown is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Colt Official Police in .22 Caliber questions

Hello
    I have been a member here for awhile but read more than post. I have come across and agreed to take a Colt official Police model in .22 caliber. It has a 6" barrel and fixed sights.I was also told by the seller that it was made in the early 50's and I do not see much on the .22 caliber model and wondered how popular they were or how many were made? I know NOTHING about Colt revolver's as this will be my first one as well, so any information would be very helpful. Are they and accurate revolver as well ?Is there any issues I should be concerned about on this model?Does anyone make a larger target style grip for this frame? What letter frame is this? Thanks to all that reply, Hammerdown
    they can take my guns from me when they pry my cold dead fingers from them

Member fire17 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Colt Officers Model in .22 Caliber questions

Your going to have to get the serial number there are three different revolver models it could be. After WW2 Colt continued to produce the Officer's Model Target in 22, and then in 1949 Colt began producing the Officer's Model Special. The third model it could be is the Officer's Model Match that Colt started producing in 1953. The 22's had there own serial number range staring in 1930 and ending in 1969 around 84,000.

A1A
    The Searcher A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light

Member #
    Liked
    423 times

But I don't believe any had fixed sights. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Junior Member hammerdown is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Hello A1A
    Good catch.. Told you I didn't know anything about Colt Revolvers.. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] I have edited my post the revolver in question is an "Official Police". [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Thanks, Hammerdown
    they can take my guns from me when they pry my cold dead fingers from them

Senior Member Bushwhacker is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    258 times

Re: Colt Official Police in .22 Caliber questions

In 1930 Colt introduced the Official Police and Officers' Model in .22 caliber. They built about 30,000 OP's ending in 1967. They referred to them as .41 or "E" frame size. The OP had fixed sights and the OM's were adjustable. The OM's action was "hand finished". To quote the introductory flyer:

"There has long been a demand for dependable heavy frame revolvers chambered for the economical and highly satisfactory Caliber .22 Long Rifle Cartridge. Colt answers this demand with two favorite revolvers built on .41 caliber frames - The Colt Official Police Revolver and the Colt Officers' Model Revolver. Both retain in Caliber .22 every mechanical feature that has made them famous in the larger .38 Special Caliber, - and make it possible for the shooter to shift without change of grip, feel, balance or sighting from the heavy .38 Special Caliber to the ideal indoor and outdoor .22 Long Rifle Cartridge. The Police Officer and the target and outdoor shooter will welcome with real enthusiasm the Colt Official Police and Officers' Model Target Revolvers in the new .22 Caliber. Both will be found indispensible for target practice because of the absence of recoil, shock and loud report - as well as the economy effected through using the economical .22 Caliber ammunition."

The OP's are good shooters. The only caution would be to remember not to dry fire without snap caps or spent cartridges or you will damage the firing pin. You should be able to find different stocks without any problem. HTH
    Bei Nebel und Nacht

Banned icdux1 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

i will add just a little,op .22`s were made in 4in. and 6in., the 6in. is the more common.i have one of ea. and mine are great shooters. they were a popular police trainer and my 6in.{dom 1937} was a police trade on some class 3 weapons.the first guns were made without recess for the cart. head but this was changed in the mid 30`s for the hi-speed .22`s that were introduced about that time. any stock/grip that will fit a python will also fit your o/p, so as bushwacker said should be easy to find.a great gun, good find. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Member #
    Liked
    258 times

icdux:

You've got a rare one with that 4" .22 OP. I've never had the pleasure of seeing one. Maybe you can fire up that S&W camera of yours and post a pic or two.
    Bei Nebel und Nacht

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

bushwacker:
    ok, i`ll try to post a few photos tommorrow as i`m off.i have to pick up the wife shortly and take her to supper if i want to live [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] dont forget today is st valentines day!!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

gun is post war, dom is 1955. i have never seen a prewar 4in. o/p but perhaps they did make them. gun is mech. great but shows honest use. it`s a good shooter and very smooth. dont think it`s rare just not too common.please forgive poor quality photo`s.

Member #
    Liked
    258 times

She's nice. I don't think they were made pre-war, either. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a 4" model. They must have built a lot more 6" versions, as that's about all you run across. Thanks for the pics.
    Bei Nebel und Nacht

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links